New
Find
Notify
Tools

JB Weld for bedding?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thoughts, comments? Tensile strength appears to be the highest of any of the epoxies that list it on the package (~4000 PSI).

Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
There is nothing better than a properly mixed batch of Acra-glass from Brownells. There might be some products that are as good, but I just don't see how any of them could be better.

I worked with JB Weld and Acra-glass this week getting a stock pattern ready to duplicate. The JB sands off much easier and doesn't seem as hard as the acra-glass when it comes to the sand paper test.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
marine-tex.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A real quality epoxy is difficult to abrade !.

One of the best epoxies you'll ever purchase is Devcon . It's machinable even comes in SS formula . Mil Spec epoxies are real tough also .

West systems , Lords , Jeffco are others that work a close second . An epoxy can be of different types . Some for lamination work , some with fillers for bedding or filling gaps . Some for elasticity .

I prefer to use my own fillers depending on what I'm doing at the time . Glass Spheres are easiest to abrade and take up volume to weight best . As far as abrading goes , easy is talc , whiting , cabosil is tougher then comes metal fillings .

A plastic auto body filler has a lot of talc and a little cabosil by ratio among other things sands readily .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right then. I guess I will return it and try to find either Devcon or Marinetex.

Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
devcon is the stuff the core used on my m1a

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe it's between Marine Tex and Devcon Steel Putty, with the nod probably going to Devcon.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cut out some rivets, put in cap screws, and JB bedded an expensive piece of junk A.R.M.S. Weaver rail for a FAL 12 years ago.

These days I bed scope mounts to receivers and barreled receivers to stocks with Devcon Steel Putty.

All epoxies are about 20,000 psi compression strength.

The big differences are:
1) Cost
2) Set up time
3) Viscosity
4) Color
5) fillers to reduce the 2 ~3 % shrinkage

If I had to, I could use JB for all my epoxy needs, but I like the Devcon Steel Putty better.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
marine tex .. it is easy to use, friendly to mix, thick in texture, and fairly quickly setting.

use it, you won't use anything else. I have be using epoxies to bed rifles for over 15 years... from acraglass (runny), to acragel, to steelbed, to "megastick" (it works, and the story is funny as to why i used it), to a couple of the devcons, "Bedrock", several commerical and artistic products and floking materials, , and ended with marine tex (gray, btw) .. I haven't had to add floking or steel to the marine tex, and it stands up to even the 550s.

In terms of sales, i have no doubt that brownells' acra-whichever products take the lion's share in terms of dollars and DIY'ers

apparently, winchester used to think hot glue was a bedding agent... or something very close to it

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marine Tex

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMG:
Thoughts, comments? Tensile strength appears to be the highest of any of the epoxies that list it on the package (~4000 PSI).

Todd

I have used J-B, and Devcon Epoxy Steel, which was specified for the acurizing of M1's for match use. The J-B worked, but I like Accraglas Gel best of all that I have used so far. It will stay where you put it as it hardens. It does not run or ooze. This is a real advantage!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Texas, J-B Weld is not a product, it's a religion. When you can't fix it with duct tape or baling wire (the first two entities in the holy trinity of piddlers), then you have to call on J-B Weld.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO j-b weld it to brittle to use as a bedding compound prefer accraglas

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMG:

Todd

Why in the world would you use that??

Devcon (w/ the exception Titanium), Marine Tex and Acraglas are cheap. Devcon is my favorite but I find Marine Tex to adhere better to factory synthetic stocks. I doubt the average shooter would shoot loose anytime soon a well bedded Devcon or well bedded Marine-Tex rifle. But, I'd not use Acraglas on a hard kicker as it will probably shoot loose in the bedding much faster.

GVA

one of us
posted Hide Post
My two bedding compounds are Brownell Steel Bed and Devcon Steel Putty.
When I am looking for tough adheasion I use a two component epoxy called 51Cure, a laminating fluid epoxy mixed to 5:1 ratio which I use as a primer on wood or steel applied with a q-tip and place the Devcon Steel putty on top of it .

Never had any come off. Devcon steel is kind of dry and a drop of 51Cure will make it a bit more plastic. 51Cure will penetrate wood realy well and provides a tough bond with the bedding and the wood or whatever.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Most, not all, match shooters will be found using MarineTex for bedding material. Works on all sorts of stock material, sythetic/wood, etc. and easy to use and just never seems to shoot loose or change POI regardless of rounds shot or hard useage. XC match shooters and LR match shooters will send more rounds down range than 50 average hunters and have long ago found that MarineTex simply works like it is supposed to. M14/M1A/M1Garands are hard kickers and if the bedding is not correct or solid, it will show up with your scores. MarineTex will fix that problem for lots of round, in the thousands. Had an M14 NM that had some 6000 rounds plus through it and no bedding work required whatsoever. Did have to replace the hammer, but no issues with bedding in a walnut stock. Go MarineTex.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
marine tex .. it is easy to use, friendly to mix, thick in texture, and fairly quickly setting.

Which one is it?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Marine Tex epoxy putty is the one mostly used. Once set up/cured, can be machined and threaded. Good Stuff!!

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
http://www.marinetex.com/PRODUCT%20PAGE_files/All%20Mar...ex%20prod%20info.htm

the gray, don't color it

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote