Notify
Tools

Hat's off to Douglas Barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWS:
However, there’s a wobble in the contouring large enough that I could feel it and it’s clearly very visible looking down the outside.

That’s a common Douglas problem and every one I’ve used or seen from the factory suffers from that malady. Perhaps, just perhaps Douglas should invest in some new lathes that don’t have 60 years of backlash in them or teach the operator to properly secure the tool holder………

They make a really good $13 barrel. Laffin…

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Come on over and I'll show you 6 I just got two weeks ago; nothing like what you say you have.
Common Douglas Problem? Not that I ever got.
Call them.
Just how many have you received like this, Mr Chicken? Your picture is too blurry to see anything, but if you really did get one with ripples in it, that is definitely not a good thing.
In fact, I am going to call them and discuss this. Can you send me a clear picture of it?

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
dcpd, Mr. Chicken quoted a picture that I posted. I don’t know Mr. Chicken’s experience with Douglas but this is only my second one from them.

First was a CM 7mm Featherweight that was one of the straightest barrels I’ve fit and it made a sub MOA .280Rem without fuss.

This second barrel is for a personal project and while I don’t like the uneven surface it’s not a dealbreaker for me. However, I wouldn’t use it for someone else’s project without full disclosure.

I spent the morning fitting it, everything indicated and machined well, and I expect it to perform well.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Oops; sorry, I didn't read that right.
I still do not like that ripple on your barrel and I will call them. I use a LOT of their barrels, since 1970 when I made my first visit to their factory, and they know me.
Yes, someone was careless on the surface and that is not acceptable.
I have never had that happen, but I have had barrels from other makers nor perform well. And one from a well known cut rifled maker, was crooked, as in bent.
Many of the cut rifled makers got their Pratt and Whitney machines from Douglas when they stopped making cut rifled barrels.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hart has all kinds of barrels in piles that bench resters refused, those guys may go thru 20 barrels of any make before they settle on the one for competition Im told..the rest is toms bs! horse

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite kinds of barrels are ----Beer barrels and Whiskey barrels!

You can't go wrong with either one!!! hilbily rotflmo animal

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom.

Yes Douglas has had a small issue the past few years that I know of.

At 13 inches from the breech you will see and measure the start of a slight bulge/bump in the blank contour,
It ends at 16 1/2 inches from the breech
Now it only gets .006" to .008" larger in that section, but its there.

It was on those 3 barrel I got from you 3 years ago with your Obendorf contours

And its been there on the Finished contoured, and PRET blanks I have gotten the past few years directly from them, 4 blanks this year alone

Most of the time I re-contour the blank slightly to fit the customers needs, so not a huge hassle for me as I order them PRET
Said something the last time I ordered, and I got silence, then ok I will make a note to look into it
Otherwise it takes me about a hour to draw file and spin it in the lathe, then polish it on my 4" wide belt sander to make the bump disappear

James Wisner

Posts: 1429 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:
Tom.

At 13 inches from the breech you will see and measure the start of a slight bulge/bump in the blank contour,
It ends at 16 1/2 inches from the breech
Now it only gets .006" to .008" larger in that section, but its there.

James Wisner

Ditto, the irregularity is
subtle but present.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have purchased several Douglas barrels, a dozen or so, over the years. The first one about 40 years ago and the most recent about two years ago. Every one of them had a bulge/ripple as described above, including an Obendorf contoured one purchased from dpcd. I know that what's on the inside is the most important, but poor exterior finish is a pain to correct and reason enough for me to purchase my barrels elsewhere.

Posts: 173 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always ordered barrels from Douglas unpolished. In fact, I preferred unpolished barrels from anyone else as well. If the barrel was seriously unevenly turned, I filed it, then polished. If the barrel was poorly polished from the manufacturer, it was more difficult to fix than if it was left un-effed. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted on the wrong thread. My mistake, and I am ashamed. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WEll...for what it's worth, I do find need to spend time ($$$) on most Douglas barrels to bring them up to custom snuff. Damn good barrels otherwise.

I do use LW most of the time...they have NO bulges and NO ripples and honestly need no polishing if careful during installation. And ,in my experience, always shoot better that good

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I submitted a request for two barrels through Douglas's website in November 23. Didn't hear back from them. I'm sure a simple phone call to them would have took care of the problem.

In the meantime, I got interested in trying Bartlein barrels. So, I placed a web order through Bugholes and received two Bartlein 2b 5r barrels in 7mm and 30 cal within a few weeks.

Posts: 445 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, that one's on you; their web site clearly says that to order you have to call them; you can't order on line. They still use to old ways of ordering.
I have used 3 Bartlein barrels; just ok; not worth the money or wait time.
Douglas will ship a barrel to you within two weeks usually. They keep 2000 raw blanks on hand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come on guys, don't stop. I just love to hear a bunch of real experts disagree (with so much respect and dignity.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1056 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess dcpt never noticed the bump?
Apparently everyone else did~

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
I guess dcpt never noticed the bump?
Apparently everyone else did~

He was busy telling everyone else what was wrong with their opinion.

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
SDH: I said I noticed it back in July 2023 and said it should never have happened; what is your issue? Also Craig; read the thread before you post. I don't usually name people I am responding to, but in this case, it is necessary.
Yes I saw it; you had one bad one; I have had dozens of good ones, and my first visit to Douglas was in 1970; they made muzzle loading barrels then too.
You should have sent it back.
Now, I do not deal in opinions and I do not care what anyone else's is.
I deal in FACTS, as I experience them. One mistake is not a calamity, and I have never had one. I will continue to use and promote them; like it or not.
No need to attack me for relaying my actual experience with them.
I had a Krieger that was crooked as a dog's leg; sent it back. Had two bad S barrels; sent them back.
No big deal. I do not dwell on it.
You guys make it sound like a crisis; it ain't.
Don't you have anything better to do?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read the thread. What is your issue ?

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just NEEDS to have the last word~

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wait for it...

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
play nice

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I also have installed dozens of Douglas barrels, and also have experienced problems with inconsistent tapers due to polishing—looks like waves when looking down the outside. First one was at least 6-years ago. I’d installed it and failed to notice it, but my customer sure did. I called Stan and he sent me a new barrel and didn’t want the original one back. The new one he sent was equally bad, so I spent a couple hours with files to fix the one that was already installed. It all worked out and I learned to look closely at them before installing them.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I deal in FACTS, as I experience them.

You've mistaken "facts" for perception.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Douglass has been making bbls 4EVER however their bbls are good hunting accuracy NOT Benchrest they use button rather than cut to do their bbls/

Several years ago a short range BR shooter received one that was DOUBLED buttoned and was a shooter.
They also quit hand lapping there bbls 10 + years ago

JIm

"Today is the 1st Day, of the Rest of Your Life"

Posts: 160 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DOUBLED ? As in rifled twice ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
Just NEEDS to have the last word~

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle...

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote