New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Savage 99 from the junk pile
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You are right. The 250-3000 action is a little to short. The 99 was modified to accomodate the 308 length cartridges. I don't know what was changed but it may be feasible to modify the action since you don't have the magazine anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at my Numerich catalog and if it is the "clip" model with detachable magazine it should work fine. You will have to hunt for a proper magazine for the .284 but they did offer it in that caliber.

Good luck with your project.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was at my gunsmith buddies place the other day, he has a savage 99 (barreled action), thats all no wood. I'ts rusty, the barrel is gone, but the action will clean up, even rusty its got a good trigger. If I let my buddy do the machine work for new barrel etc he will probably give it to me.

I want to rebuild it, not restore, but make a shooter. Its probably not in good enough shape to restore.

Best I could tell it's a 250-3000, tang safety, and curved lever for grip. I havent got the Ser # off it, but based on the description Savage says it was probably made in the 60's.

The clip is missing and will have to be rebarrelled, I've got a blank in the event I do not want to buy a factory stock which I understand to be available.

Here's where my questions come in, I want to make it a 284. I have concerns on the clip, and the fact the 284 is about 1/16 of an inch longer than 250-3000. Didn't know if action length would be a problem, fat case etc. I tried calling Small Arms in Fl, but they are closed until Sept 13th. I could go with 7/08, but I have lots of 284 brass and have loaded for if for many yr.

I know nothing about 99's, need some coaching.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc,

Thats kinda what I thought, I havent talked to my gun smith about modifications to get a longer throw, but bet its not that big a deal. Eventhough my gunsmith in not a 99 expert, he has worked on a few 99's over the years and he says this one is one of the good one's because of the saftey and the trigger, rusty as all getout I bet the trigger is about 3 pounds.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a search on gun parts, but nothing came up, I do not have a catalog anymore. I may call them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99C .284 magazine part number A99C-142A. Numerich part number 139310. *Note limited availability.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Billy
do that one back in a quarter...
and buy a 284 blr?

the 99's are a booger to change round length, like 300 based to 308

jeffe

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Post your questions on the Savage collectors forum at www.24hourcampfire.com. There are a bunch of experts on Savage 99s at that forum.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good place to go for Savage info is
Savage Shooters .com. They are a pretty helpful bunch of folks.

Posts: 77 | Location: williamsburg missouri | Registered: 08 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

help me out,not sure what you mean by do it back in a quarter.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Billy
with that gun, i would either keep it 250/300 (the quarter bore) or the 22/250.. just because i actually like pop guns (i have a 257 roberts and 257x300wsm)

jeffe

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"...this one is one of the good one's"

In my biased opinion, the ones with the brass rotary magazine were the "good ones". This one, however, may be easier to adapt to the fatter 284Win cartridge.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
p Dog,

I don't thinks it been through a fire. I think Dewight has the stock that came off it, but not sure. He had a 99 stock that had a check piece for left hand, I would guess that came off it. In fact dewight said the stock was good enough that I could knock the cheek piece off it and it would work fine, but I will more than likely use one of the blanks I have and have a stock turned if I move forward on this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My only Question is with that much damage and the wood missing I am wondering if it has been through a fire.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just my call , but IMHO your trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear...The clip model 99 Savage is a cheap gun and basically a piece of junk by comparison...I do not think the clip models ever came out in 250 Savage, just 243, 308 and a few in 284..

You can buy a used one for probably less than what it will cost to build..If it was a rotary magazine 99 then the cost could probably be justified. Most of these projects, if done properly end up costing more than they are worth..I've done that many times unfortunatly....

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote