New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maple, Anyone???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am working with a local maple cutter, anyone interested in blanks? We are cutting now, will be several weeks before the blanks are out of the dryer.

TIGER or FIDDLEBACK

Another TIGER

QUILT or FLAME

Another QUILT, 36 inches long. We can cut banks as long as you need.

Mixed grains. These are veneers, 1/4 inch thick. We will be making laminates also.

We will be sawing this log Saturday. Preliminary cuts show excellent grain.

Slabs cut from just the branches of the log in the above photo. All have excellent grain. Now being resawn, then off to the dryer.

[This message has been edited by John Ricks (edited 03-23-2001).]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Rust>
posted
If the blanks are solid and look anything like what is in the pictures I would be interested.

<fusilier>
posted
I'd be interested in a couple of the tiger-stripes, depending on the price. Email me with the details.

<Don G>
posted
Can you tell me more about machinability, durability, density?

I can hardly type. I have been "woodworking" all afternoon. Cutting and splitting a three foot in diameter oak tree felled awkwardly by M. Nature via tornado. Hell to split.

Don

<j2k22>
posted
John- beautiful pictures! would like to know more about pricing on the "flame" grain blanks. email jshirland@carrierhawaii.com

<DOC>
posted
I am very interested, please e-mail me with prices and options.

Thanks,

DOC

<dcan>
posted
I am also interested, please e-mail me with prices options along with the lament blanks.
Don

<Mike Brown>
posted
Hi all, I`m Mike, John Ricks`s "Wood Guy" so to speak. We are co-op-ing to provide hi-grade wood blanks (maple, walnut, and our own custom laminates from exotic woods), we have a carving machine(duplicator), and will build complete custom rifles.
I did not realize the scope of the market for custom wood, and was shocked at the number of responses we have had to our "interest survey".
Due to the amount of email John and I are getting, we think it best to set up a website that will have pics of finished rifles, available woods in stock(no pun intended, sorry), what wood we have in the drying stages, and what we offer in laminates and full bodied blanks, gunbuilding, stockcarving, ect.
Until the site is on-line, feel free to email me with any questions regarding wood. John will be doing all building work, finish inletting, bedding, accurizing ect, and I will do the finish work on any stocks not sent out in the "rough".
Feel free to email me for pics and details.
Thanks for this great site

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have gotten my 40X back from Mike Brown & John Ricks. It sure looks sweet.

Since I am not able to figure out how to post pictures, I have them on my brothers website. You can see them here:
http://www.ballscasten.com/dave

My lighting for the pictures was not very good (as you can see). Mike also made the knife and John made the SS bolts.
These two guys make an outstanding team!

[This message has been edited by DaveC (edited 05-09-2002).]

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in fiddleback and flame/quilt. Email me with prices.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by DaveC:
I have gotten my 40X back from Mike Brown & John Ricks. It sure looks sweet.

WOW!!

It's hard to believe that wood can do that to itself.

Nature is incredible sometimes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why can't I open the photos...all I see is a red "X"?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone want a kiln dried stock blank? Kiln drying is fine for furniture, but it weakens the wood alot so I will pass. Can you get green blanks? I might be interested if I can get then green with only the ends sealed.

Casey

<pshooter>
posted
I got the "x"s to. Could someone tell me why I can't get them? computer illiterate you know. mvm

one of us
posted Hide Post
The red x's are very old photos that are no longer available on the Photo Works site. (Note the March 2001 dates) Dave just called up this old post to put his photos on.

Blanks are not kiln dried, they are properly cured in a low temp humidity controlled drying house for about 3 months, then a 6 to 9 month air cure in a dry area.

Mike the wood cutter has several logs now on his log deck, some with exceptional figure. Green blanks should be available, shoot me an email if you want to get on the list. Mike will be running the logs through the saw mill in a week or two.

Not just the right wood for a DGR, but they sure are darn pretty to look at!!

------------------
Currently in Exile on the Beautiful Olympic Peninsula of Washington State.

Email Address is rifles@earthlink.net

Web site http://home.earthlink.net/~rifles/

[This message has been edited by John Ricks (edited 05-10-2002).]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
John-

I remember what the pics looked like. For those that didn't see them, let's just say they were "nice".

Could you drop me an email off-line with some of your current stuff. After seeing Dave's pics, I got the bug...

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post

Thanks for the offer
Please add me to your list for prices. Most interested in the fiddleback, but please include prices for all. Thanks
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

I would also like to get on your distribution list for pricing and availability information. I'm interested in nicely figured blanks of almost all types. I would also be interested in your pricing for semi-inletting for both classic and thumbhole style stocks.

Thanks,
Russ
<rtmoore3@attbi.com>

Posts: 54 | Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
<holtz>
posted
John,

It seems others are able to use your links, but on my computer your links are the MS broken picture symbol.

I'll be in WA in a month or two and am interested, but would like to see the photos and price list before I drive from Poulsbo to P.A.

Can you help?

Steve

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
holtz
I have trouble with his initial pics All I get is spaces between the text. There are web sites I can't go to as well, one is Hunting pictures, so every time some one posts a pic from there I get nothing. The links work fine, as long as they don't go to one of those sites, I get "connection refused".
One day I will figure out computers, probably just as they load me in a box.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,
Please send me the price list and pictures as well. I'm primarily interested in having a two-piece stock duplicated on a nice piece of maple. It will be at least six months before I'm ready, but I'll save the e-mail. Thanks - John

itrapcoyotes@yahoo.com

Posts: 103 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Brown>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by CASEY:
Why would anyone want a kiln dried stock blank? Kiln drying is fine for furniture, but it weakens the wood alot so I will pass. Can you get green blanks? I might be interested if I can get then green with only the ends sealed.

Casey

Hi Casey, Mike Brown here(the maple guy). In answer to your question, YES, I can provide you with green blanks that are very very nice. I have just cut a couple logs of very nice Quilt(no Fiddleback this batch) and when they hit 50% airdry they will then go into the dehumidifier. It is not a kiln, tho I sometimes refer to it as a kiln. It runs about 80 to 90 degrees for most of the cycle, with a max of 112 degrees(after the MC is down to 10%)and then condenses the moisture and drains it out of the shed. Even if a person wanted to, he could not dry 3" blanks in a kiln. Most every blank would crack as the difference in MC from the inside to the outside is too great. Kiln drying maple will not work on wood over about 1 1/2" thick.
Anyway, I have dry Fiddleback aged 1.5 years, and a few dry quilt blanks, and a half dozen very nice green blanks. Green will save you 20% but shipping will cost a bit more of course. The advantage to green is you get pick of the litter.
Quilt is generally twice the price of Fiddle due to being very difficult to aquire(the 'music wood rats' are always after it).
My best quilt is 1500(email me for pics at motavia@olypen.com) seasoned 6 years. The average is 400 to 500. The difference between 500 dollar quilt and 1500 dollar quilt is a matter of uniformity. All my blanks have 100% figure and lots of depth. If you are interested, I can send you pics of green blanks, and you can pic your own. Please understand that I do not guarantee blanks that leave here green. All blanks are wax dipped twice in 2-3" of Anchor Seal to prevent checking.
I do finished stocks and will also rough one out for those who want to finish their own.
Regards,
Mike
Brown`s Custom Gunstocks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am looking for a piece of birds eye maple ofr the tip of a rifle stock I am making. I need a small piece of solid wood 3" x 2" x 2" or larger. Haven't found any locally. Would you have such a piece with nice birds eye on it?
I have a 50 year old browning shotgun w/ a birds eye maple custom stock which I love to shoot trap with.
Shane @ sandenwood@centurytel.net

------------------
Shane Marquardt

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I can't see the pics John. I get the little white box with the little red X.

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote