New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 94
 Login/Join

<Zeke>
posted
What are the differences between a pre-64 and a post-64 Model 94 Winchester?

ZM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To start, safety devices.

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I recall, the post 64's use cheaper parts, roll pins instead of solid pins, wood is cheaper, not as nice a job of fitting. Post 64's are reliable, safe and good shooters, but a cheaper mechanical design. Thats my take on it, for what it is worth.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think there are 3 different versions, pre 64, then a transitional post 64, then then model currently in production. I have an early post 64, it's ugly, I bought it cheap, but it is fantasticaly accurate, under moa for 5 shot's with open sight's!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought an early post-64. There is nothing like the difference in the '94's and the Model 70's, obviously. The '94 design still has a number of parts which simply must be machined. I would agree that the quality of the walnut (which was always plain) might be a notch lower, machining tolerances are looser, and the wood-metal fit is done more quickly and without as much care. I doubt there is much difference in serviceablity. The current models, of course, have the abominable cross-bolt safeties and angle-ejections.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote