Find
Notify
Tools

anyone tried this to color a SS barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm#stainless

The tech guy at Caswell's said this would not affect th ebore finish, but I am a little worreid about it. I need to color the SS bbl to get it closer to the rust blued reciever finish, but I don't want to hurt the bore on my customer's deceased grandfather's rifle.

I have emailed with Mac, and my fall-back position will be to have him do a Tuff Gun finish on the bbl.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc,
I am not a smith but i had a SS barrel colored/blued. It came out very nice. Actually very close in color to blueing, though a little closer to a black. The gun shoots great, no problems with the bore.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have used the caswell black oxide on CM... it's "okay" for a shop finish, but NOT NOT NOT durable... or commercial

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet Rick would have known.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AF-

who did th ework and how did they do it? Do you have contact info for them?

Jeff-

so you think it will wear off in the field in short order? I was worried about udrability when the guy said all you had to do was submerge it at room temperature. I have never heard of anything that was very durable if the application process was at room temp.

What was that about Rick? Is he gone?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc, Rick was told to aplogize to Dempsey for responding in kind. Was really not fair but that is what you seem to get on here of late. His choice was to leave. I will ask him for you.

BTW, how have you been. I have not heard much of you lately. Send me an email, we need to get caught up.

Take care,

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
?
Why not rust blue it
?

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc,
Send me your e-mail address and I will send you photos of the treatment on my BR barrels. It was done for ease of cleaning and my barrel life has doubled. It has not affected accuracy at all. It is a new process and we are looking at patent possibilities. papawlambert@starband.net
Butch
www.shadetreeea.com

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Butch- Would you send me some stuff on the coatings for your BR barrels? thanks--Pegleg

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Marc,
you can take a shop rag and wear at it, and it will come off, even if you let it sit for a week, on the CM blackoxide. I doubt the stainless coating would be alot better.

I asked alot about using this, or EPi (who makes what they sell) and no one had tried it. I did. Wasn't impressed, though it looks better than cold blue.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a good photographer, but would e-mail photos to someboady if they will post them.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeti, rust blue will not work on stainless.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
yeti, rust blue will not work on stainless

Gotcha.
I see SS and think SxS - Freudian reading slip.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeti, if you are thinking SxS's, I like your thinking.

Chic Worthing

one of us
posted Hide Post
So that is what y'all meant about Rick not ebing here. I quit reading that thread when it left the topic of stocks. I did make a post suggesting the guy make one from the blank, but quit reading when the mud-slinging bagan.

Butch-
sent you an email. THanks!!!

Chic-
Have not been posting here much, but I do try to check in at least once a day to see if I can learn something. I started a business at the end of last year and have been putting very loooooooong hours. Also, my right arm has healed up some and I am able to do some work with it. I work on guns at least 4-5 times week now. Before it was always "play" money, but now the money I make on guns has become critical in me keeping the lights on!

On top of all this, I ahve been spending a lot of time on my photography and getting ready to start selling prints in 3Q'06.

When I posted a lot on the forum before, I was basically confined to the house and could not use my right arm-so I just surfed the net all day. Now that I am learning to use what I have, I am always in the shop or mountains or office. I am the kind of guy who would rather be doing something than sitting in front of the PC. I know some people post here literally 20 times a day. Personally, I would rather spend that time making guns or taking pictures. But that's just me.

BTW-I talked to "Gator" briefly today!

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:

I know some people post here literally 20 times a day. Personally, I would rather spend that time making guns or taking pictures. But that's just me.

So would I but I am chained to the PC at work and in those moments between calls, meetings, etc, I can peek in, learn something between the catfights, and maybe even post a thing or two.

Congrats on the flexibility you have.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Mark

It's great to here your doing better and geting some work done. Proof of the power of prayer.

Butch

Send me the pics of your blued barrels and I'll post 'em.
By the way, that CZ your have'in built is turn'in out like crap, but since I'm such a nice guy I'll go ahead and take it off your hands for the price of the parts. Hate to see a guy loose money. Big Grin

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bluetick,
That is a generous offer. I am tight on money and Gator was doing it on a buddy deal anyway. The parts were only about $10,000. I will PM my mailing address for the cashiers check.
I don't have your e-mail address to send the photos.
Butch