New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convert a Ruger 77MkII to 300H&H?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay, So I am a Lefty and want a one-for-all NA hunting rifle. I like the 300 H&H for all the wrong reasons.

How feasible is it to modify a long action Ruger 77 to feed and hold the 300H&H?

I have a deal on a 7Mag LH 77MkII.

I think shortening the ejector, lengthening the box and shortening the feed ramp would be about all. Am I about right?

Would a cut need to be made in the rear bridge and/or a notch in the front ring be required or a nicety for ease of loading?

Thanks

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HPMaster:
Okay, So I am a Lefty and want a one-for-all NA hunting rifle. I like the 300 H&H for all the wrong reasons.

How feasible is it to modify a long action Ruger 77 to feed and hold the 300H&H?

I have a deal on a 7Mag LH 77MkII.

I think shortening the ejector, lengthening the box and shortening the feed ramp would be about all. Am I about right?

Would a cut need to be made in the rear bridge and/or a notch in the front ring be required or a nicety for ease of loading?

Thanks

Depending on how good a deal you're getting on that Ruger, I'd sooner give Montana Rifle Co a call and see how much it'd set you back to buy a new rifle right from them before incurring all of the costs and labor of converting the Ruger. They're showing their V2 extreme in 375H&H for under $1500, I'm sure they could do the 300 H&H for the same.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
I would try some ammo in it first. From the custom end, I make lots of 300 H&H, don't even know where my 300 Win and Wby reamers are

+1

The first thing you do with any conversion is get some factory ammo and check the mag box length and feed. Even partial feeding magnum shells in a 30-06 will tell you a lot. They might not be able to go into the chamber but as long as they are tracking properly and the nose is lifting properly for the first half of the trip, you can expect a lot smoother conversion. Rechecking it after the barrel is off is even better.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
OP is right in his analysis; it won't fit or feed as is, but will need box lengthened; I have looked at doing this; one issue is that the middle guard screw is in the way for moving the box back. I might throw that away.

Posts: 17286 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
OP is right in his analysis; it won't fit or feed as is, but will need box lengthened; I have looked at doing this; one issue is that the middle guard screw is in the way for moving the box back. I might throw that away.

Hummmm

Is that fool screw not needed to hold the front end of the trigger guard down against the mag spring pressure? Or is there room to move that screw rearward 1/4 inch?

Just spit-balling with no M77 in front of me.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just looking at pictures the square tab on the trigger guard could be cut off and a screw with a smaller diameter could be installed under the mag release like it is in the Parker Hale 1200 C. It looks like there would be enough room to mill the M77 trigger housing (if you can call it that) back a bit for a new and smaller diameter screw screw. Just sayin.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has, for the most part, been done. Dave Scovill, wrote an article about an M77 MK2 converted to 375 H&H by Bill Atkinson.

Here is a link to that article, he gives some detail of what was done. Moving the bolt stop would be the tricky bit the way they are mounted, IMO, but you could fit another style bolt stop without too much difficulty.

http://www.riflemagazine.com/m...?tocid=1186&magid=84

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have a link at home I can post mid week. Thanks you through the steps to take one to 375 H&H. If.I remember not that hard

Should have hit the link above that was it

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
change the box and follower -- not much work to make it work ...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote