New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Made Oven To Bake Finish??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone built an oven that fgits a rifled action to bake the various gun finishes?

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
2 heat lamps, "insulated fiberglass board" and a LOT of caution... aluminum tape will also help\
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fire Bricks are pretty cheap at most building supply stores. Heat source can be electric, gas, even solar if your real inventive. Also a good idea to install some sort of temperature gauge! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll post a picture in a few days.

I had one made out of 10" diameter pipe (48" long) welded on top of a tractor disc with holes drilled in it. There is a cover for the top with a flue to regulate temperature, and a thermometer fitting in the side.

It goes on top of one of those turkey fryer heat sources hooked up to a propane tank.

The barrels hang from hooks in the lid.

I do small parts in the kitchen stove - No Pizzas in the oven!!

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I made my oven like the application instructions said. Works great/

http://www.rb-treasures.com/KG_Products/Gun_Kote_Aplication.htm

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-51
posted Hide Post
Here's one I found a while back. I haven't used it. http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/heater/heater1.html

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a question...how do you handle the smaller parts that need to be coated/heated? Can you just lay them on something like a screen?

Just wondering.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I went to Lowes and bought a 4' piece of stove pipe and an end cap. I hung the barrel or barreled action from a wire through the end cap and stood the assembly up on a piece of flat plate (an iron skillet works but you'll have to re-season it) on my Coleman stove. I poked my lead casting thermameter through the side to monitor the temp. About 6 bucks all-out.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
I have a question...how do you handle the smaller parts that need to be coated/heated? Can you just lay them on something like a screen?

Just wondering.

Once they were dry I just set them on a cookie sheet in the oven. Stinks.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I take the small part and use fine wire to make a hook. Then hank them from the rack in the wifes oven. Never tried just putting them on a cookie sheet.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote