New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting Claws for German claw mounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Ferlach built combination gun to which is fitted a 6x42 scope with claw mounts.

I have also a little 1-4x20 Nickel Marburg straight tube scope which I would like use on this gun. In the UK cost of importing and then having claws cut is prohibitive, and looking at my existing claws I am confident that with a bit of time and patience I can cut another set of claws to which I can then attach either a set of rings or a weaver type rail. Some questions though:

What sort of steel should I use, and what heat treatment should be done?

Does any body have a guide to actually cutting the claws in terms of which face etc to work on first.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done this several times and can offer some info on the method chosen. But like Paul Simon says, 'there are fifty ways'....

I used Redfield rings and cut the base width down to match the distance between the claws and then I attached 2 side rail legs to the machined surface, to extend down and form the actual claws. For the first set I used silver-solder for the attachment but then had heat-treat issues, so the later sets used welding for the attachment. I used low-carbon steel for the legs and then surface-hardened the claws with Case-Nit after shaping was complete. All operations on the rings were performed while they were clamped to a 1" OD steel bar, to avoid warpage.

This method fabs the legs as integral parts of the rings, so their alignment is critical since there's no windage adjustment as in most Euro mounts. The 1" bar solves a lot of problems here.

I lapped the claws into my orphan bases after the legs were hardened, but you can't do this since you'll someday be re-using your original scope that's already been hard-fit to your bases.
HTH, regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can actually buy rings with unfinished claws on them. In other words a claw mount ring but the actual claw bit is a block of steel.

You then basically after initial sizing use a soot lamp and set to removing just enough metal each time until it fits.

Certainly places like the German gun catalogue people Kettner have access to a catalogue with these in.

Personally the cheapest option is maybe to get some Redfield extra high mounts and them use a milling machine to create two raw claw sized blocks then set to again with soot lamp and file!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are two basic distances between the front lock up "claws" If it measures (inside) about .268 you can get just about any height and ring size imagineable...or...you may be able to replace the dovetail (if applicable) so you can use standard rings.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gentlemen - you have all confirmed my first thoughts and RichJ no had n't seen that other thread - just what I need to do, save that I have two slots to cut on the back mount.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote