New
Find
Notify
Tools

mannlicher schoenauer 1905 scope mount build
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up a mannlicher schoenauer 1905 a few years ago and I've never shot it. I always wanted to scope this rifle, but claw mounts are running upwards of $500!

So with a snow day and a holiday and the family off skiing....I decided to tackle it.........

Here what the rear mount looks like and the beginning of the insert I needed.

The front mount looks like this and the beginning of the "claws"

After lots of machining, hand filing and fitting, here's where I left off

I need to do a bunch of contouring but first I want to test fire the rifle. It seems like the front mount is a few thou higher than the rear. I did not drill the set screws for the front SK Contour rings yet. I need to be sure on the height before I drill and tap them. I'll just use some surgical tubing to hold the front in place to be sure of elevation.

More pictures here in the Photo Album............

www.rvbprecision.com

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Do you have something for, say, a "medium" length neck? I have a customer looking to scope his but he's got a short, stubby leather kinda neck.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because of the Butter Knife bolt and the open top receiver, this is how high that scope needs to be. Or it could be mounted off the left side like the German sniper rifles of WWII.

I prefer it centerline as I'll be using it in hunting situations where distance will not be known. If the scope isn't directly over the bore, all kinds of inaccuracy comes into play.

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RoyB:
Because of the Butter Knife bolt and the open top receiver, this is how high that scope needs to be. Or it could be mounted off the left side like the German sniper rifles of WWII.

I prefer it centerline as I'll be using it in hunting situations where distance will not be known. If the scope isn't directly over the bore, all kinds of inaccuracy comes into play.

Yeah I understand that, and from what I can see it looks well done, but, it places your head so far out of position that I have to wonder if it would be worth it. Have you considered making an "Old European" looking scout mount?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It actually isn't that bad. Looks higher than it actually is.
I had thought about a scout mount, but I really wanted to use the installed claw mounts. We'll see..........