Find
Notify
Tools

SCI REPORT
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
a few things of note

I spoke at length with George Hoenig. He was showing photos of his newly designed stock duplicator. They are available at $20,000, and considering how they hold their value after much use are probably a decent investgment.

I got within a few feet of former Pres. Busch. Security was tight. I thought that we didn't have an imperial presidency here in the US. That once you were done being president you were a common citizen again. Apparently that is not the case.

David Miller's rifles are superb. He and Curt Crum are nice folks.

You can once again hunt black rino at a cost of $200,000.00

You have not seen engraving until you have seen that by Creative Arts from Italy. Unbelievable.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Presidents and first family's get Secret service protection for life or as long as they desire. Although sometimes the former President doesn't have a choice.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that should not be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You like former Presidents being an easy target for Muslim extremists?

quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
that should not be.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

That has got to be the all time ignorant comment. Do you think that because a US president leaves office he all of a sudden forgets volumes of classified information that hostile groups want.

You think the information is suddenly stale. Intelligence operations go on for years.

You think his value as a political target ends because he leaves office? War is a political act.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Kevin,
Do you think that because a US president leaves office he all of a sudden forgets volumes of classified information that hostile groups want.
You think the information is suddenly stale. Intelligence operations go on for years.

You think his value as a political target ends because he leaves office? War is a political act.

And that is exactly why he is protected till he dies or his knowledge of government secrets is no longer relevant

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that in a country such as ours no life is more valuable than any other life. I recall something about all men being created equal.

I also think that all of that information that gets to the president is developed by other people rather than the president himself, and yet we don't protect those people. No do we protect vice presidents, congressmen, senators, and former military officers that have much of the same information.

I also think that conversations on AR could be conducted on the merits without calling other people ignorant.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that in a country such as ours no life is more valuable than any other life.

Nor is any life worth less, well actually I might argue that, but for the sake of this conversation lets go with that. So with that in mind that is why our countrymen who are at substantially greater "risk" are provided with substantially greater protection.

Not to change the topic but what does piss me off are those who readily accept the protections their positions entitle them to but seek to pass laws prohibiting the rest of us from protecting ourselves.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
22wrf, some lives are more valuable to the greater good of all the people. Using your logic there is no point in the active potus having security either.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not against anyone, including former presidents, having security. I am just not for it being paid for by other people, i.e. the taxpayer.

Of course I am fine with the in office president being protected, but not to the extent that he (or she) be treated like a king.
Mr. Jefferson would role over in his grave if he knew what the presidency has become.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give Bin Laden a call. Maybe he'll pick up the tab. He was always fond of GW.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any more on the show???? Smiler

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't report on the show, wasn't there, but I believe you will find that security for life of Presidents has been cancelled. May be wrong on this, but did read that somewhere sometime ago and wondered why that would be true?? Perhaps they rethought the decision, and believe they should be given all the security possible.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have not seen engraving until you have seen that by Creative Arts from Italy. Unbelievable.

Very true. Add to the list, among quite a few others from Europe, Diego Bonsi, Manrico Torcoli, Tomasoni, Phillipe Grifnee, and A. Galeazzi.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
Any more on the show???? Smiler

well,I would just say this about that show. I know that there are many folks here that have stated that SCI charges too much to attend the show, and it was, in relative terms, expensive to get in on Saturday if you were not a member ($180). But as has been said, that does include a one year membership. I would imagine that SCI does make money on the show, but I wonder how much after having to rent that convention center for 4 days, including paying all of the salaries of all of the people who have to work the show. I think that if a person is coming out here for the ACGG show it would be foolish to not also attend the SCI show, at least one time in your life, just to see the possibilities!!!

I mean, a person reads about Holland and Holland, Purdey, Westley Richards, Piotti, Hartmann and Weiss, and all of the other european names and that is great, but its just nice to be able to look at them in person and make up you own mind as to what to think about them.

Swarovski - I looked at their new binoculars. I have looked through EL binoculars before and they were great. I could not tell much of a difference in the convention center, if any, as to their quality. They look just a little bit different, but not much.

Winchester had one of their new rifles there in .458. Nice, and reasonable price for a big bore. But if I were looking for a factory big bore in that price range I think the Kimber seems to be a better made gun for not much more money. I looked at Kimbers booth for quite awhile. They also make some nice auto pistols.

I looked at Bryan Breedings Big Bores. If I were looking for a Big Bore for Africa he would definitely be on a short list. His guns were very well made as far as I could see, and he offers a lot of wildcats developed by Gil Van Horn. Some of those cartridges looked huge. How would you like to go to the range to target practice and everytime you fired a round it cost you $40.00.

I think if a person is young and has some money and wants to hunt the world it would be prudent to go to one of these shows just to really see what is out there and to talk to these vendors in person.

Bottom line. It is a great show!

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got within a few feet of former Pres. Busch. Security was tight. I thought that we didn't have an imperial presidency here in the US. That once you were done being president you were a common citizen again. Apparently that is not the case.

how do you know they were secret service and not private contractors? did they have their secret service tee-shirts on?

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Good point with all to sub contracting now. It may well be they were contractors.

The fact is it's not the former president's life that is a real concern it's the Intel he possesses. Yes he is still a very large political target but the secrets he knows is worth more then one could ever imagine.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would imagine that SCI does make money on the show, but I wonder how much after having to rent that convention center for 4 days, including paying all of the salaries of all of the people who have to work the show.

I have no idea how the convention center is run, but with all the people($$$) SCI brings into Reno I would guess they get a deal on the convention center.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The rent on the convention center is more likely easily covered by all the display booths and entrance fees. Granted it is expensive from an individuals point of view it is most likely not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Here in southern california a gun show is cheep to put on and display at. Booths are $20 to $40 per 8 foot table you rent. Entrance fees are about $10 and parking is $8. Granted it's only two small buildings at the San Diego fair grounds it's still relatively cheep as opposed to the Fred hall fishing show which last time I looked was $1100 per 10X10 booth then everything else was ala cart i.e. Power, carpet, Movers, everything was run buy the Union and you could not touch anything that belonged to you till it was in your spot.

So believe me they make a cut and yes they probably get a good rate with all the concession sales, parking and hotels.
If SCI made less then 30% of the over all cost I'd be surprised.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever. Everybody has to make a profit.

The point is that in this day and age when you hear so many complaints about getting ripped off on so many things I think that its really a good thing to do business in person. Going to the show and talking in person to these vendors is the way to go.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Power, carpet, Movers, everything was run buy the Union and you could not touch anything that belonged to you till it was in your spot.

WTF bewildered Sounds like Chicago

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Well that's how they run things.
It actually seemed like a pain but the union workers got shit done and without a lot of "hey you're in my friggin way" They had everything planed and scheduled so the 90% of the time everything went off with out a hitch.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
I am still in disbelief about the comment made about Former Presidents being provided SS protection and it not being justified. My jaw is still on the floor here... thumbdown

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well. you only need to see where it came from.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
I am still in disbelief about the comment made about Former Presidents being provided SS protection and it not being justified. My jaw is still on the floor here... thumbdown

Many years ago I served this country by enlisting in the Navy becasue I believed (and still do) in freedom of speech with regard to political ideas. So I applaud and respect your disagreement with my ideas, although I do think you could have chosen a better way to say so.

But I would ask this question. What information does the ex president have that wasn't directly given to him by someone else. Are all of those people protected? And what information do those people have that wasn't given to them by someone else? Are those people protected?

When I served I had knowledge of classified information. Was I protected? NO.

This country was founded partially because of a hatred for Kind George and that system of government where those who choose to serve in government are somehow placed above those who don't serve in government. Another good example that many are complaining about today is the fact that those in congress have voted theirselves better health care benefits than others who serve in goverment. There are countless other examples.

I think its fine if an ex president wants protection. I just don't believe taxpayers should pay for it. Nor are my comments directed specifically at Mr. Busch. I voted for him twice, and would again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Well. you only need to see where it came from.

Yup.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:

Many years ago I served this country by enlisting in the Navy becasue I believed (and still do) in freedom of speech with regard to political ideas. So I applaud and respect your disagreement with my ideas.

But I would ask this question. What information does the ex president have that wasn't directly given to him by someone else. Are all of those people protected? And what information do those people have that wasn't given to them by someone else? Are those people protected?

This country was founded partially because of a hatred for Kind George and that system of government where those who choose to serve in government are somehow placed above those who don't serve in government. Another good example that many are complaining about today is the fact that those in congress have voted theirselves better health care benefits than others who serve in goverment. There are countless other examples.

I think its fine if an ex president wants protection. I just don't believe taxpayers should pay for it.

You obviously don't know jack about how our country works.
The people that briefed the president are either still employed by the government or are retired and the thing you either don't know or have forgotten is that the face of the Secret Service is not pasted up as part of the nightly news.
If There was a former Secret Service agent sitting next to you at a bar i doubt you'd know But you'd damn sure know it was George W Bush. that is what makes him so important. It was how much publicity he had while in office. People can ID him a mile away. The Secret Service agent or the Joint chiefs are not as exposed to the media and therefor not as obvious a target.

It may seem unimportant to you but there are reasons why things are done in this country.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, having minored in Political Science in college, and having studied law, and having lived here for almost 60 years, I think I have somewhat of an idea of how this country works.

If you think that foreign governments and others do not keep complete dossiers on everyone who has contact with the president you are badly mistaken. I might not know who a former secret service agent is, but I might know who a former general or admiral or white house aide or congressman or senator or vice president was, just like out intelligence agencies compile complete dossiers on almsot everyone in every goverment on mother earth.

I agree that there are reasons why things are done in this country. Sadly, many of them are political efforts to gain or retain power.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many years ago I served this country by enlisting in the Navy becasue I believed (and still do) in freedom of speech with regard to political ideas. So I applaud and respect your disagreement with my ideas, although I do think you could have chosen a better way to say so.

I think its fine if an ex president wants protection. I just don't believe taxpayers should pay for it. Nor are my comments directed specifically at Mr. Busch. I voted for him twice, and would again.

You, Blue and all your other alias's can't collectively be that stupid. You obviously didn't learn anything while in the Navy.

BTW, his name is spelled "Bush".

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac

You, malm,(REM 721) and all of your other alias's, and your friends, show your lack of knowlege on the subject by attacking me rather than making an argument on the merits. Its called argumentum ad hominum. But I respect your right to do it if you so desire.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't you be out chasing an ambulance or something?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that I stopped at the Federal display and asked about primers.

The man told me that Federal was putting in a new primer line in attempt to meet demand, and he expected that primers would become somewhat easily available by early summer. He told me that even he, an employee, was having trouble buying his own company's primers, especially the magnum 215 type.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Westpac

You, malm,(REM 721) and all of your other alias's, and your friends, show your lack of knowlege on the subject by attacking me rather than making an argument on the merits. Its called argumentum ad hominum. But I respect your right to do it if you so desire.

"WHY IS EVERYONE ALWAYS PICKING ON ME"

killpc

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, having minored in Political Science in college, and having studied law, and having lived here for almost 60 years, I think I have somewhat of an idea of how this country works.

you still haven't mentioned how you KNOW the security you saw were secret service and not private contractors.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your argument sounds good but isn't. You are right, the POTUS knows nothing that isn't told him by others. Difference is those "others" each possesses only part of the picture while the POTUS has the full picture, thereby he is a much more valuable target.

However I think the "knowledge" he possesses is a minor consideration. Our president is the leader of the free world and a highly desirable target, you aren't. They are hugely valuable political targets. They are our Presidents and entitled to protection.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 724wd:
you still haven't mentioned how you KNOW the security you saw were secret service and not private contractors.

Because presidents are entitled to Secret Service protection for life.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Why is an ex President in danger? Because he was a potus. That alone entitles tax payer paid benefits including security. It's foolish to think they go back to being Joe American after leaving office.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:

You, Blue and all your other alias's can't collectively be that stupid. You obviously didn't learn anything while in the Navy.

BTW, his name is spelled "Bush".

Sure they can.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Hard to argue merits when your comments are so ignornant (as in uninformed) they have no merits...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
I found it very funny that there was no security at all to enter the convention center Sunday, and the vast majority of people where carrying their complementary brief case that could have concealed a weapon, etc..

SCI "Millionaire" Hunters First

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote