New
Find
Notify
Tools

In between canjar and timney?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey gents, specifically for springfield 1903/a3's. Is there a trigger out there in between the canjar and the timney in quality? what is it that is so much better about the canjar than the timney? I have timneys on a few rifles, two springfields, and have no problems with them, so is there a reason they're not popular for the high $$ customs?

I'm in the parts finding and a acquisition of a project (long term) and trigger is one item I need.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
For an aftermarket trigger, Timney is about it for the 1903. Nothing wrong with it if it's set up right.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless something has changed radically of late, good luck getting hold of a Canjar! I don't even know if the company still exists, but even when they did, they were (in-)famous for unresponsiveness and delays. Getting hold of a trigger was (if at all possible) often a question of years rather than months.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Mine has a Timney. Of course, it is not really "high dollar."

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
canjar is basically can't contact ...

get the timney!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38649 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still kick myself in the ass for not getting Canjars for my #1s.
The story as related to me: Mr. Canjar made one of the finest triggers ever. But like everything, age caught up w/ him. He had a buyer ready to purchase the business, but when it came time to ink the deal, with tears in his eyes, he just couldn't do it. The business stayed in operation for some years, but now is sadly gone.
As for Timney, Roger Green put a timney in my 416 Taylor, tweaked it superbly, and it's very good.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm gonna go the timney route, never had a problem with them, just wondered why they weren't liked as much.

I have a trigger to install on one of my springfields, got it for 20 bucks at local shop because they had it off another gun. looks like a timney, but black rather than red, and not marked with a name. any ideas what it is? i figure I'll install it and give it a whirl.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dayton-Traister used to make a trigger for the 03, not sure about it still being around now though.

Timney is OK but will not usually adjust down much below 3 lbs without risk of an AD when bumped. Canjars will usually adjust down to ~ 1-1.5 lbs (non-set) before becoming unsafe. Timneys will usually require a little more initial takeup(creep) before release and a little more post-release clearance (backlash) than Canjars, even at the usual 3-lb setting.

Not a lot of difference, at all, but the difference is definitely there. Almost certainly not enough difference for ANYONE but a bench-rest shooter or a varminter to even notice, however, so I don't worry about it on a hunting rifle.

Canjar made 2 grades of triggers, I've used both and the less-expensive one is IMO still superior to anything else. JMOFWIW.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
If it is any indication of the quality of Timney triggers, I know Duane Wiebe uses them in his customs, including those he has built as his personnal guns.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3822 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Most stock military triggers can be made to perform every bit as good as the aftermarkets. You just have to know what you are doing.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Most stock military triggers can be made to perform every bit as good as the aftermarkets. You just have to know what you are doing.

I actually prefer the military 2-stage trigger on many sporting rifles, if done properly. The problem that many people have with the 2-stage triggers is not the trigger pull itself, but rather their attempted transitions back-&-forth between the single-stage and double-stage triggers when shooting several different-design rifles.

Any Mauser, P14/1917 Enfield or Springfield can be tuned to give a perfectly repeatable and reliable 2-stage pull with the second stage breaking cleanly & crisply at 2.5 lbs.

But it takes extra work, not only to achieve the proper smoothly crisp 2-stage pull itself, but also to stabilize the rifle's cocking piece so that it assumes the same sear relationship every time the bolt is cycled; otherwise the pull will vary.

At Trinidad Ed Shulin showed us how to fab & install a Win M70-type single-stage trigger on a military rifle; for a purist of a certain sort this might be a good solution, and some commercial Mausers were actually made with this type trigger.

I remember seeing at least one M30/1917 Rem that had been magnumized by Tom Burgess (I believe) and fitted with one of these bench-made M70-type triggers, it was a real work of art and was positioned at the rear of the guard bow of course. Lotta extra work but worth it in that particular case for sure, it was absolutely beautiful.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no "down grade" to the Timney. My own 270 has been "active" for 26 years with the original Timney. I shot this rifle enough to need a new barrel..same trigger...no brainer

Is there a perfect world...No! Some moron at Timney decided to make the lever wider..now it won't drop in to a normal bottom metal without thinning it down, Since I usually reshape the lever, this has not been an insurmountable problem. But I called Timney and did not get a satisfacory answer why they fixed somehing that wasn't broken

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really liked Canjar triggers and still have a couple. That said, I have never found any fault with the Timneys.
I kind of agree with those who like the two stage triggers on a hunting rifle and my two favorite hunting rifles have two stage triggers.
On the one mauser which does not, I used a Timney and I like it fine. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3586 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About two years ago received two Canjar Krag triggers I had ordered and paid for seven years ago.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote