New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 improved,40 degree shoulder
 Login/Join

<jjdero>
posted
I need some help/advice on having a Remington 700 in 25-06 with a 24", 1/10 twist, barrel re-reamed to 25-06 Improved, 40 degree shoulder. Is the 24" barrel too short to expect any appreciable added performance, and is this a barrel burner deluxe caliber? And is there any loads out there to share? Any help is always appreciated. Thanks JD
Say guys, thanks for the fast and informative response, I think I will enjoy this rifle even with a 24" barrel. I've been reloading since 1960, but only been using this computer a year or so, bare with me please. Thanks JD

[This message has been edited by jjdero (edited 02-24-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can expect a maximum increase of 100-200 fps over the standard 25-06. Loading data is quite simple. Use the same bullets and powders that you would use in the 25-06, and use max 25-06 loads for starting loads and work up.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
<re-loader>
posted
I had a 25-06 AI built last year----I can't possibly tell you how fantastic it shoots. I am reaching 3600fps with 100 gr pills-----I have a 27 " barrel-----I don't load it hot. It is flatter than anything I have ever shot--
3" hi at 100 2" at 200 1" at 300
4" low at 400 15 1/2" low at 500.
It was a fussy sucker to find the bug hole load-----the ONLY boat tail it likes is a 100 gr XLC----everything has to be flat base-----doesn't like anything lighter than 95 gr. heavier than 117gr. Ihave no idea what you will give up with a 24" tube---I would guess you could push a 100 gr XLC around
3200 maybe 3260. Good luck

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjdero:
Is the 24" barrel too short to expect any appreciable added performance, and is this a barrel burner deluxe caliber?

From information that has been posted on this forum cocerning other 40* A.I. calibers, the 40* shoulder reduces barrel erosion by restricting the ejecting of unburned powder granules into the throat area, thus reducing the "sand blast" effect.

Case life should be increased by reducing stetch also. I have an 8mm-06 A.I. and it performs well in the issue M98K barrel length of 23 5/8".

Make sure that the "smith" sets back the barrel, as the shoulder on an Ackley Improved version is supposed to be set back about .040" to allow headspacing with the standard cartridge via a "crush fit". Not only does this allow the use of standard cartridges in a pinch, it greatly simplifies "fireforming" by forcing the case head against the bolt, thus avoiding case stetching.

If you run your 25-06 Imp. resizing die over the case when loading for fireforming, make sure you don't "bump the shoulder". Smoke the neck of the case so you can gauge this step and shim your die to avoid this. The same setting will give you a "partially" full length resized case. That is all I do with the 8mm-06 Imp, and thus far I haven't had to "full length" resize. I can feel slight resistance when I cloose the bolt handle. Case life is excellent cosidering my loads are "hot".
------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 02-24-2002).]

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 02-24-2002).]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I shoot 62.0grs of Re-22 in my 24" 25-06AI,with the 100gr XLC,at over 3550fps(R/P brass).

My barrel might be "too" short,but critters can't tell. It is a superb cartridge,in my opinion. Performance is certainly increased and it is easy to work with.

I think it is a very worthwhile consideration and plan to build another..........

<sure-shot>
posted
Stick, dang it I got too many pokers in the fire already. Now you are getting me cranked up on the 25/06AI. I'm expelling my 7STW, sending an action off next week for a 7mag, 11 twist barrel. I'm gonna try out those Barnes 140XLCs in this baby too.(Purple McMillan on order also)sure-shot

<Big Stick>
posted
sure-shot,

The 25-06AI is a grand cartridge. I built mine pretty light(700 action,#2 contour S/S,24",KS Mtn Rifle McMillan stock,Leupie 6x42mm w/turrets in Leupie Dual Dovetails). It shoots stunning little groups,as an average,at warp speed.

She comes close to 257Wby performance and that is the Holy Grail in my book...............

one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are killin' me....

Just recently got my first 25.06 in my first Remington. Still working up loads and having a great time of it.

The barrel will be well used by next fall and I was planning on going to a 26" tube in a heavier contour.

Now I'm wantin' an Improved quarter bore. Don't need it - but I want it!

Enjoyin' this high velocity stuff! 'Tis a whole new world for me.

I'll be keeping this thread on file for the tech tips.

Long live 100 grain pills at 3500....

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang it you guys, cut it out! I'm going to have to store my 257 Rbts. Mtn. Rifle over at the buddy's house to keep the 25/284 reamer out of it.All this talk about 25 cal XLC's and whatever at warp speed is makin' me think again.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jjdero,
I have a set of RCBS 25-06 imp dies I'm not using if you are interested in buying them?
I will let them go very reasonably.
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The load I settled on was 51 gr of 4350 with Fed 210 and 115 gr partitions. This was a super load in that rifle, 24"barrel.

Good Luck

BR

Posts: 174 | Location: ,Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Battle,

I have a BDL 700 in 25-06 AI 40�.

Literally, shoots into 1 hole with the following:

Rem Brass
CCI-200 Primer
100gr Ballistic Tips
60gr H1000

Velocity isn't stellar = 3189

I tried 60gr RL-22 and got close to 3600 but the accuracy wasn't there. +1" @ 114yds.

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys
surely the 25-284 is what you are looking for!!!

griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
griff,

I love the 25-284(have two),but the 25-06AI will offer a smidge more performance(have one).

The 25-284 is unsurpassed,for a very easy to build,high performance short action offering. She gets VERY high marks from me,all across the board. I feel it's accuracy potential slightly shades the 25-06/25-06AI,but that is hairsplitting..........

<grkldoc>
posted
I just rechambered my old 25-06 Sendero barrel and put it on my Win M70. After fire forming the first set of cases I only gained 4 grains of H20. These were some old factory loads I didn't test pressure/velocity yet. This doesn't seem very much gain in volume, probably not enough to get another 100-200 fps. Is this a real velocity gain at the same pressures or are people shooting them hotter to justify the improved chamber? I will post my results in the next few months.

<1GEEJAY>
posted
I have a .25.Gibbs(35 degree)24" barrel.It's a Factory rifle I had rechambered.Tikka is it's name.Shot very well as a 25-06,so I just had to rechamber it.Still shoots very well,but a little faster and flatter. 25-06,what a great caliber.
1geejay
http://www.shooting-hunting.com