New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it true about the8x57 mauser?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are the throats on a military surplus Mauser barrel long?

Is it true the best accuracy you could see is 1.50 of an inch?

Could these barrels benefit from shortening the distance to the lands of the rifling?

What is the best you have gotten from hand loads best group, and best FPS?
Please specify barrel length.

I will post same questions on smallbore forum as well.

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Not all military mausershave the long throats. My Persian m98/29 had a very short throat, I had a gunsmith lengthen it 0.300" so I could use the case capacity with 220 grain Hornadys. I believe it was short in those rifles due to the use of 150 grain bullets.

------------------

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not all of them are long....The longest is the Brno 21 and 22, and they are in effect long enough to shoot with an Improved version of their caliber.....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41834 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Scout:I would suggest you make a "chamber casting" with that barrel you got from Numrich. I would think it could be made long enough to show the throat length. Perhaps some of the more knowlegable participants of the forum could give some advice on the particulars.

There is a compound call "Cerrosafe" (or something like that). It is available from Brownell's (as well as other distibutors I'm sure) Although I have never done it myself, it doesn't sound too complicated to me. It should be a snap with the barrel not on the action.

If you know anyone that has some 8x57 dies, they could make you a Dummy round @ about 3.35" COL. If you smoked the ogive of the bullet (say one of the 180gr Nosler BTs I sent you loaded into the 8x57 dummy round) and inserted it into the chamber, it would tell you if reaching close proximity to the rifling @ 3.25" COL (SAAMI max for 8x57) would be practical. It wasn't with my original barrel, hence my decision to rechamber.

Hopefully you will get some helpful posts on this.

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 02-06-2002).]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1.5" ha, I have a VZ-24 8x57 that it's worst group ever, with Rem 170gr factory ammo was 1". With handloads the typical group is .5" or less.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are your velocities?

How deep is the rifling?

What are your loads???

Show me why I should keep this chamber the way it is��

Scout�.

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite load is 52gr H-380, with a 175gr Sierra, I get 2600fps, but I only have a 20" barrel. I haven't taken a chamber cast, don't know the length of the throat. It's a VZ-24 barrel.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a lot of long throated Mausers that shot great...the Brno mod 21 and 22 all shot extremely well with 120 to 175 gr. bullets..I have two that will shoot anything in an inch and the 130 Speer has to jump near an inch. A lot of this stuff is theory. It just all depends on the individual gun.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41834 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scout,
The bore / groove dimensions of the 8x57JS are 7.89mm / 8.20mm (0.3106" / 0.3228") which makes the rifling 0.31mm (0.0122") deep. The older 8x57J is different but not at all common.

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets