THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Do I need any sort of licensing to install custom bolt handles on customer rifles?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I need any sort of licensing to install custom bolt handles on customer rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
A buddy and I are considering getting into some gun work as a startup business. Say we were to offer custom bolt handle designs, and installation on guns where there would be some metalwork involved.

Beyond an FFL to get the action shipped to us, is there any other legal concerns to worry about?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
One requirement for getting an FFL is that you are in compliance with all state and local rules/regs. I suggest you start there.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you planning on cutting the root off the bolt? If not, why have them ship the action? If they just send the bolt, and your jurisdiction requires it, you could get away with just a business license. No receiver, no FFL needed.

Posts: 1315 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Just your local business rules, if there are any.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Technically incorrect.

the ATF has a long list of what they consider regular gunsmithing and manufacturing.

Under the long drawn out rules of the ATF if you perform any work on firearms as a regular course of business you are a gunsmith and need a FFL,

My Area requires two permits, a State FFL if you will and a business license so four licenses or permits total

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While Mr. Stottlemyer is correct on that account, it has also been ATFs position that a bolt, in and of itself, is not a firearm, so working on just a bolt would not be working on a firearm.

This is why there are plenty of gun parts makers and other machine shops that do not, and are not, required to have an FFL.

I've heard this opinion from my ATF inspector, and have heard other accounts corroborating it. A strict reading of the law would also suggest this to most reasonable men. I have not heard of ATF ever pursuing trouble with someone in this sense.

Of course, your mileage may vary, and your nerves might dictate different choices than what others have made.

Posts: 1315 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Area requires two permits, a State FFL if you will and a business license so four licenses or permits total

What else would one expect from CA.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys.

I suppose a bolt is all that would be needed. We are working on a "secret project" where an extended bolt handle will be of use. Once we get further in the design stage I'll show you guys, I don't think anything like it has been done before!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote