Find
Notify
Tools

Ruined my Afternoon
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Well got the blank mounted extra wood cut off on the bandsaw only to have this show up. Frowner

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Been there.... Just two weeks ago.... But worse...

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i traded an INTERESTING set of 470 ne dies for a pretty piece of 'bastogne" .. from pete-you-stinking-cheat-sissy-that-makes-his-mother-screen-his-calls -- bandsawed the rough off .. it was ROTTED internally, like PITH and sneaky pete refused to even discuss the matter....

the chicken spit wouldnt even consider trying to make it right..

yeah, still annoyed at a no spine coward and crumby piece of wood

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Jeff, stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel...Smiler

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeff are you sure it was a bad piece of wood. rotflmo

Part of the cracks were removed in the final but it will have some epoxy work to make it usable. This is the 3rd Claro in the last couple of months that ended up with cracks inside.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Claro sure can be pretty, but that's why I stick with Juglans Regia. A reputable wood supplier will replace the blank, the labor is on you. These are the perils you face when working with highly figured hard wood. Accept it and move on.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
typical problem but not just in claro
honeycomb and cell structure break down can be associated to certain areas that trees grow
sometimes in the worst areas most all the trees will produce the same condition
old time tree cutters know those areas and stay away from trees there
' the problkem there is alot of new comers cutting trees that dont know and dont care - strictly chasing the buck

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
A reputable wood supplier will replace the blank, the labor is on you

Yep unless his name is "pete-you-stinking-cheat-sissy-that-makes-his-mother-screen-his-calls"

Didn't lose any sleep on my end. It was customer's blank. Based on the 1987 date stamp on it he has had it a while. Just hated to see the cracks.

Since he was out of pocket I elected to go ahead and finish. If it had been my nickel so be it. Heard from him and he simply plans to do a little epoxy upgrade.

As to Juglans Regia they have caused me the least issue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
What , no wood stove ??
Some buyers of custom knives like "spalted" wood [partially rotted] for their knife handles . Maybe a custom knife maker would be interested.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
What , no wood stove

Burning wood in CO is not as easy as you would think. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
from pete-you-stinking-cheat-sissy-that-makes-his-mother-screen-his-calls

Since I don't follow the ins and outs on a daily basis, I'd like to know his real or AR name so as to avoid doing any business with him.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
These are the perils you face when working with highly figured hard wood. Accept it and move on.

+1. Just how, exactly, can the seller be expected to now what is on the inside of a blank that they sell you? Do they have x-ray vision?

And any replacement surely depends on the "terms of business" on which you bought the blank?

At your risk?

Or with a warranty that if there was a problem that it would be replaced? Here in UK you, the purchaser, get to make the choice when you buy.

If you want the warranty you pay more for the blank. If you don't want the warranty, and so accept the wood at your risk, then you pay less for the same blank.

On some blanks the seller will not give a warranty.

Just as no ne will give a warranty against breakage when they take a gun in from a customer to re-set a stock to adjust the cast or bend.

Am not trying to be unsympathetic to the OP but it does depend on what "terms of business" the seller agreed at the time of sale.

Indeed there are often blanks that go through the auction houses here in the UK. And these are absolutely "sold as seen WITH ALL FAULTS..."

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Most blanks I have bought are guaranteed UNTIL YOU CUT INTO IT. Then it is yours. and yes, figured wood is more prone to cracks.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I would not offer any warrantee on a blank, as I don't get one when I buy them. As has been said, it's a risk inherent in working with wood. I've had it happen a few times and It's tough when it happens to you but you just have to move on.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Most blanks I have bought are guaranteed UNTIL YOU CUT INTO IT. Then it is yours. and yes, figured wood is more prone to cracks.

quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
I would not offer any warrantee on a blank, as I don't get one when I buy them. As has been said, it's a risk inherent in working with wood. I've had it happen a few times and It's tough when it happens to you but you just have to move on.

This is news to me. I used to buy from Calico as the were just down the road from me. Their blanks were warrantied against internal faults and bark inclusions. They would replace with comparable blank, not cash IIRC.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
charlie -- he used to post as peter.. and he did STATE, in email, would be replaced if fault in wood...

i forgot to mention, he's no young college guy, living at home ...

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I disagree. I've bought many blanks from "professional" wood sellers over the years, and, frankly, I can't recall any of them who didn't warranty the blank against unknown defects.

Here is a common example from Dressel's:

quote:
All wood is 100% guaranteed against internal flaws ( wind shake, bark pockets, pruned knots and shrink pockets.)

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Great sadness and great beauty are just a few stress fractures apart.

As some have said, a knife maker or pistol grips for someone.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
charlie -- he used to post as peter.. and he did STATE, in email, would be replaced if fault in wood...

i forgot to mention, he's no young college guy, living at home ...

Peter from Florida? He still posts here frequently.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I'll take a stab....... "Peter" lives in the North West?

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yeppers dempsey

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have not thrown away all of your cut off pieces yet. I may have some suggestions to save your investment. As long as the cracks are not in a critical area they are just cosmetic. There are ways to hide them without lots of epoxy.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I meant to say contact me via PM or via phone as the process takes too long to type.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have not thrown away all of your cut off pieces yet. I may have some suggestions to save your investment. As long as the cracks are not in a critical area they are just cosmetic. There are ways to hide them without lots of epoxy.

This stock is not mine. I stuck a piece of cut off about the size of the forearm in the box I will leave it up to him how he wants to proceed.

I had one of my own years ago with a major flaw. Since I bought this as a reject only scrap I had was what I could cut from the butt. Didn't turn out to bad.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I guess I just haven't bought any blanks from the big sellers. If they guarantee them perhaps I should.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they guarantee them perhaps I should.

No such thing as a free lunch. If a seller is willing to replace a blank due to a flaw you can bet his potential losses are built into his pricing.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

I disagree. I've bought many blanks from "professional" wood sellers over the years, and, frankly, I can't recall any of them who didn't warranty the blank against unknown defects.

Here is a common example from Dressel's:

quote:
All wood is 100% guaranteed against internal flaws ( wind shake, bark pockets, pruned knots and shrink pockets.)

Same Here!!!

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No such thing as a free lunch. If a seller is willing to replace a blank due to a flaw you can bet his potential losses are built into his pricing.

Correct.

Just the same as the lifetime guarantee against breakage is built into the pricing on a British "Hardy" carbon fibre fly rod or, no doubt, the "name" US brands.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seems like built in pricing in case of defects would be o k
since there is no industry standard for grading- whos to say if the
( possible loss pricing) is BUILT in

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
seems like built in pricing in case of defects would be o k

I would simply call it a cost of doing business. Like the light and heat. If over time you have 5% damaged then you simply raise your prices 5% to stay even.

Just like a story allows for a certain % of loss from shop lifting etc.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K