New
Find
Notify
Tools

End mill like a plug cutter for wood?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I could swear I'd seen one. Similar to an annular cutter or a plug cutter for wood.

I need to cut a cylindrical projection .200" diameter on a carrier dog (it was worn undersize and I welded it up; I can file it or try to hold it down on the rotary table or the lathe or use a boring head or fly cutter probably, but I'd have other uses for this). The projected cylinder would be like a trunnion on Beretta shotgun action. Needs to cut a cylinder in the center but mill flat around it.

Thanks, Steve

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are referred to as a hollow mill

Also you can use a boring head and a boring bar to do the same thing on such a low height stud

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
drill a hole in any piece of drill rod and hand file the cutting flutes. should take about 5 min tops. no need to harden . if you want to get carried away, you can drill all the way through and then back bore with a bigger drill bit within .050" of the cutting end. add 45 seconds to the above time estimate.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, both!

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
you will be amazed at the precision cutting tools you can make with a lathe, torch and file. a little dykem or black sharpie helps you know where you're going with a file.

I just made a thread mill out of O1 and it cut perfect threads. You need to remember that high carbon drill rod (O1) will need a much slower cutting speed than HSS. Just cut the RPM in half and with a little cutting oil you will be fine.

I usually file the secondary clearance angle within .020" or less and then harden and temper. then stone (or diamond lap) the final cutting angle. never made a tool that didn't cut as expected. I'm still using cutting tools I made 30 years ago in gunsmithing school.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
My buddy uses a hollow core end mill to cut the bolt knobs off of rem 700 handles so he can install "target" knobs. I'll get the numbers. Probably came from Travers.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
James, Thanks! I'd like to try that out. Have made a couple of taps for oddball threads and a chambering/reloading die reamers out of O-1 and they did work pretty well cutting slow like you say. And I've seen shop-built D bit cutters and multi-flute side cutting tools. But I'm afraid I can't imagine the geometry for the cutting edge and relief for a flat bottom cutting tool. Is it 4 cutting edges with shallow relief angle straight back from the cutting edge for each cutting flute?

Rich, appreciate the link.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i love that I am not the only one that loves o1 for making tools ....

oh, interesting to note, if you water quench o1, it's harder than woodpecker lips ... and brittle!! but of you need something stupid hard, this will work, in a pinch

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The proper name for what you want is called an annular cutter

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
I could swear I'd seen one. Similar to an annular cutter or a plug cutter for wood.

I need to cut a cylindrical projection .200" diameter on a carrier dog (it was worn undersize and I welded it up; I can file it or try to hold it down on the rotary table or the lathe or use a boring head or fly cutter probably, but I'd have other uses for this). The projected cylinder would be like a trunnion on Beretta shotgun action. Needs to cut a cylinder in the center but mill flat around it.

Thanks, Steve

Inquiring minds want to know, what is a "cylindrical Projection" and a "carrier dog"??

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://homesteadparts.com/shop.../rem12carrierdog.jpg

Jim, I hope the link to the picture on Homestead Parts's website works. It's a carrier dog on a Remington Model 12 pump 22. The "cylindrical projection" engages under the lifter and rides a ramp to time the lifting up of the next cartridge to the bolt face and into the chamber.

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:
Also you can use a boring head and a boring bar to do the same thing on such a low height stud

+1 This is how I would do it. I've made sako style extractors like this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a carbide end mill to cut a hole in the end of a high speed steel end mill. Use rotary table and make the hole any size I want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwahir:
I use a carbide end mill to cut a hole in the end of a high speed steel end mill. Use rotary table and make the hole any size I want.

Explain please!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carbide will cut HSS!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwahir:
Carbide will cut HSS!

Yes. but why in this case?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I think he's saying that to make the hollow mill cutter, he's basically "drilling" the center of the HSS endmill (to allow a "cylindrical projection") with the carbide endmill. If he needs a bigger hole/cylinder, then he puts the HSS endmill in the rotary table and by offsetting the carbide endmill, he gets a bigger hole in his new hollow mill.

gwahir, let me know if I got it wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
Jim,

I think he's saying that to make the hollow mill cutter, he's basically "drilling" the center of the HSS endmill (to allow a "cylindrical projection") with the carbide endmill. If he needs a bigger hole/cylinder, then he puts the HSS endmill in the rotary table and by offsetting the carbide endmill, he gets a bigger hole in his new hollow mill.

gwahir, let me know if I got it wrong.

That's how I read it too. This would give you a hollow end mill that would allow you to make a "cylindrical projection" of a non-standard diameter. Especially handy if you had a number of these projections to machine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't see how the H you will get it to cut steel. Maybe you wouldn't need any relief on the hollow part.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I can't see how the H you will get it to cut steel. Maybe you wouldn't need any relief on the hollow part.

Good point. With no relief inside the center hole, the walls would be rubbing on the projection as the cutter fed down. Galling might be a problem. I wonder what sort of finish it's producing?

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
maybe dumb question. IF you have a rotating table can't you just chuck up an old end mill and rotate the part off center

oups I see gwahir post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I made this tool out of 01 last weekend. Worked great! Thanks for the idea, James.

Of course I dropped the part under the workbench behind 40 bags of lead shot, so...