Notify
Tools

Serial Number
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Gentlemen,
I am looking at a trade for a Haugh/Beck built rifle and noticed during inspection that the rifle did not have a visible serial number on the action. It was built on an Obendorf action. I know Mauser actions sometimes were stamped with identifying numbers on the underside ofthe action or it is possible that in the surface polishing the numbers were removed.

My dilemma of course is I could not travel with the rifle if I traded for it as is. Two questions...

1. The legality of creating a new serial number if one does not exist anymore?

2. The cost associated with the engraving and possible reblue on the action.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Here's my suggestion: Find a shop with an FFL 07- Manufacturer license. They could assign a new serial number if one does not exist, but then you'd need to fill out a 4473 to take possesion and the FFL holder will report "manufacturing" the action in their annual report. Cost: Depends on whether or not you'd accept cold blue touch-up or want complete re-blue...~$40 to $150

Or, you could take it to someone whe engraves, have them put any number you want on it and forget about it. For a one-time thing I find it hard to believe the Feds don't have better things to worry about than one sporting rifle's serial number, but again, I like living "on the edge". Big Grin

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the etching process, no rebluing is necessary..however, I personally would not touch that particular job on a bet.

And yeah...some Fed might just LOVE to make example.

With so many FFL's biting the dust, these guys are LOOKING for work.

As example, they put Sierra Gunsmithing out of business by virtue of a thorough inspection every 11 months..literally shut him down three weeks a year....because they could!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Long guns have no recorded serial on file with the Feds And a bunch of rifles have no serial numbers at all. Hand guns are a different story. It wasn't till the GCA of 1968 that firearms were required to have a serial number.

I'd stamp my own number on it and call it a day.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone that responded. I received good news today. Dan Beck did the metalwork on the rifle and had all records in his files. A call to him confirmed the serial number... now to get them on the rifle!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Thanks to everyone that responded. I received good news today. Dan Beck did the metalwork on the rifle and had all records in his files. A call to him confirmed the serial number... now to get them on the rifle!

Did he remove the serial number?
Eeker

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would this rifle be a 500 Jeffery? If it is the one I am thinking about, it is a really nice looking rifle.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Yes it is a .500 Jeffrey...

- Rudyard Kipling

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:

Did he remove the serial number?
Eeker

Hey, J.. remember calling me a nervous nellie about SNs? well, i STIll AM .if it has a SN, doesn't matter if it was never recorded, its still a GCA violation ...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It needs a visible number, doesn't really matter what the number is.

I have been told by the ATFE that etching is NOT usually good enough, apparently it's too shallow to suit them and acid/X-ray won't restore it if it's ever filed off again. For such a fine arm I suggest engraving.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Hey, J.. remember calling me a nervous nellie about SNs? well, i STIll AM .if it has a SN, doesn't matter if it was never recorded, its still a GCA violation ...

I still think you are a nervous nellie, but I have to admit that I have thought long and hard about the issue(SN R&R) since you and I discussed it. I think you might have a problem if the feds walked in when you had an action on the grinder, OR if they had their sights set on nailing you(think Ruby Ridge).

BTW, I don't understand your second sentence.

quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
I have been told by the ATFE that etching is NOT usually good enough, apparently it's too shallow to suit them and acid/X-ray won't restore it if it's ever filed off again. For such a fine arm I suggest engraving.
Regards, Joe

I don't see how engraving would be OK and acid etching would not...

A bad guy would not have to file engraved numbers too far to make it impossible to pull them with acid/X-ray. This stuff is all really silly anyway. Even with stamped numbers a bad guy could easily stamp over the SN before grinding it off to thwart acid/x-ray.

I really think whomever told you that was a bit of a self important know-it-all.

But I could be wrong.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason, my post said that I was given that info by the ATFE. Please consider the source(G).
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote