New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: sulphur casting?
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Wouldn't it be easier and simpler to open a window and pour a sulphur cast in the time it would take to make that call, and be done with it?

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
If you knew what sulfur does to your lungs, NO

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Actually some do, some don't - cerrosafe is one of about a dozen or so "fixturing" alloys. They're are several that are like cerrosafe that contract upon solidification and then "grow" over a short period of time. Cerrosafe is a "Cerro-Bismuth" alloy, one of 7 listed in McMaster Carr. It has the second lowest melting point of the group. oddly it doesn't have a set meltingpoint but melts in variable range, all of which is below the boiling point of water(one of the reasons I think it is popular - easy to get out if flubbed without using the torch which will take off the blueing and possibly warp the receiver). There is also a "Cerro-Irridium" series of alloys. The composition of all of these, along with the melting points is listed in McMaster Carr, Which if any behave like cerrosafe (contraction, then growth) isn't mentioned, but I bet a phone call to them could answer that.

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Sulfur is not safe to screw with, especially the fumes. I'm sure those beautiful kids of yours don't want to listen to their dad cough all night because he screwed up his lungs because he was in a hurry. I will send a check to Brownells in your name for a 1/2# bar of Cerro- SAFE . For pity's sake.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote