Find
Notify
Tools

Blackburn M52 bottom (pics)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted
with experience installing Blackburn's custom Win Model 52 bottom metal. This has a release in the guard like a Mauser but it releases a cap that in turn holds the clip in place. My question is about the clip cap. Mine is engaged in the rear by the release mechanism but nothing holds it in place in the front. Gravity seems to be enough to make the front drop out of position so I think the pressure of the clip will make matters worse. Am I missing something? I can call Blackburn tomorrow but he can be hard to get sometimes and maybe someone already knows the answer? Thanks in advance.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I saw one of Ted's setups for a 52 a long time ago. I beleive the intent was to soft solder the cap to the magazine. A gunmaker I apprenticed under made his own caps for the 52 conversions he did and every magazine had a cap.
I am not sure if this is true in your case but I don't think Ted would knowingly make anything that doesn't work well.

Gregory A. Hein
www.rifleactions.com

Posts: 20 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Could you please post some pics of the Blackburn bottom metal for your 52. I have a reproduction 52 and I have been wanting to someday really fix it up.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregHein:
I saw one of Ted's setups for a 52 a long time ago. I beleive the intent was to soft solder the cap to the magazine. A gunmaker I apprenticed under made his own caps for the 52 conversions he did and every magazine had a cap.
I am not sure if this is true in your case but I don't think Ted would knowingly make anything that doesn't work well.

I agree with your last statement completely. This is a beautiful piece of work. It's just the the one time in my life that I might have read the instructions, there ain't any.

I wanted to work a little with it over the weekend and Ted's closed for the Holidays and as so often happens here, someone has an answer. Gotta love it! Thanks, Greg.

M1, here's some pics. The package is the bottom, two caps and a replacement trigger to fit the new bow geometry. It's about as cool as it gets:

It also comes with a new action screw. This requires a re-stock. I'll have a pattern based on a modified factory sporter stock. It'll be at Jeffe's by Valentines for duplicating. I'm trying to keep the essence of the original but tricked up just a bit. The brown splotches are goo, not rust.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the pics. That set up really looks nice. Do you have to swap out the trigger? The trigger in mine is so sweet it would brak my heart to have to fool with it. Are you doing any re-shaping to the stock? My factory stock is pretty clunky feeling and has a very closed grip which I dont care for. I would rather have a little more slender more open grip. Are you adding a shadow line to the cheekpiece?

William Berger

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Harry,
that's gorgeous!!

my rook rifle needs EXACTLY that.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Here is a rifle that is very close to what I would like to with my 52. This one is a Cooper in 17 HMR at the Lehi Cabelas, but I really like the stock, color case, and octagon barrel.

William Berger

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I would call Blackburn about the trigger. I think you'll need some heavy mods to the factory shoe to get it to look and fit right in the bow. I haven't palyed with mine yet so I can't say.

And yes, it will need a new stock but at least there will be one pattern out there for it. Jeffe and I will keep this thread running as different stuff happens. I'll post the pattern; he can post the turned stock, yada yada. You should be able to get a nice bit back if you post your stock on an auction siye.

This gun was an original sporter with a shattered stock that was re-glued. The barrel has 5 different scope block holes in it from different owners that are well plugged but it needs a total re-blue too. This was a perfect donor gun, not a 95% original being desecrated.

Pretty cool, huh Jeff?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted Blackburn does great work!!! Now to find a "donor" M52, fat chance...but I would very much like to see the Beaver at work on this stock!!! Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Harry,
it's awesome.. seriously... now i REALLY need a destoryer carbine.

Arthur,
Come on down!! would be happy to meet ya and let you run the beaver!!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
That is stunning... I wish I had a 10th the skill that took.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gnmkr...Do you have this stock pattern for an Anschutz Model 64? Thanks Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tiggertate.....do you have a website, tel #, address for Blckburn. i could not find any on the net. What is the going price for the bottom metal as pictured. Looks great!

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The website is http://www.blackburnmachine.com. This package is around 300 bucks.