New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help ID this old claw mount Mauser please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going to help a friend sell this gun. I can see no maker's ID on it. I'm thinking it's a post WW2 small shop gun built on a military action???

The bolt, bottom metal, receiver and bbl have matching numbers. The extractor is off a digit. Bore looks new. Rib is soldered on. Small outer ring, I can't tell if the bbl thread is small or large.
If anyone can help me ID plus an expectation of value I'd be very appreciative.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strikes me as a guild(?) rifle in 8mm built between the wars- and I've been wrong before.

Maybe helpful- as quoted from the link below, "That rifle is a typical example of the cheaper Suhl made rifles that were distributed by various wholesellers worldwide. "

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...n=201859&type=thread

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
N4; I have a gun very similar to yours including no name, somewhat more ornate but lacking the mts. Normally on a 98 the barrel shank is the same dia. as the threads - LR = 1.1" & SR = .98", I would suspect your friends gun is a SR with LR threads.

If you wish to see my rifle and a discussion go to the Nitroexpress site > Mauser Photos & Archive > Page # 3 > Carl Grundig of Dresden. I would say the value is between $300 to $400 Cdn., I paid just under $300 for mine without the mts. FWIW --- John303.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
could be a guild, geco, or cigarette gun

John303, you are kind of correct... the shanks has to be at least as large as the threads, but not required in any way to be the same size .. and in this case, ,the shank is small, one would have to measure the flange

measure the largest portion of barrel, at the flange, and see if it is at least 1.1"

it is a small ring 98, what is the distance between centers of the action screws?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one exactly like it, same engraving pattern, trigger, and stock, but the barrel was redone by CR Douglas in times past. No claw mounts. Mine has no markings on the action itself and is in a lot nicer shape. It appears to be a WW I era small ring 98.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flange is 1.1". Screw spacing is ~7.830"

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle in 8X57. I would guess it is at least a 1930s rifle if not older. You can check the German gun collectors' association for proof marks and check your rifle's date. My Shul made Simson is pre 1912.

Why do you say that the rib is soldered on? My rifle is an integral octagon to round barrel.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote