Find
Notify
Tools

A couple of Mauser questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Can someone please tell me a bit about the M-24/47's? Specifically whether they are standard or intermediate length. As I understand it they are captured m-98's that were reworked by the Yugoslavs.??

Second question, what is the part that can be seen in these pics that goes in the triggerguard beneath the floorplate? Ive got several triggerguards with the hole going through the guard, but havent figured out the original purpose of said hole.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7160735

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The hole in the triggerguard is for an additional sling swivel. It was often used to shorten the sling when wrapped around the arm for target shooting. It does not appear on all mauser variants. More common on the original 29" barrel models.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 24/47 is an intermediate action. The 24/52, on the other hand is full length.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James C Scott:
I think the 24/47 is an intermediate action. The 24/52, on the other hand is full length.

M24, 47, 48, FN or Yugoslavian are all M98 intermediate actions. 8.500 oal vs 8.750 for a standard 98.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested in seeing a model 47 yugo mauser!

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry craigster, BUT they did refurb a bunch of VZ 24s.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry craigster, BUT they did refurb a bunch of CZ 24s.

Refurb all you want, but an intermediate action is still an intermediate action.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add: those are the 24/52s. There has been a lot of confusion in the recent past because of the designation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Your rifle started life as a Belgium designed model 1924. It has an intermediate length action making the bolt about a 1/4" shorter than the German mod 1898 "standard" and will not interchange with those. It may be Belgium made but most probably was made in Serbia.

This rifle was the standard for Serbian military through WWII and the basis for the later M48 series rifles."

HTH

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:

http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplusrifles.html

Bottom of the page, Thanks for the replies.

How about those 1903/38's? Standard or intermideate? Could those possibly be the same as the 24/52 reworked vz24's?

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
03/38's are German made actions. They use standard hole spacing bottom metal, but, the magazine boxes are shorter. Original chambering was 7.65 Belgium.

Bolts are intermediate, because the front ring is longer to the rear. They were notched at the back of the reciever ring to load 8x57 with stripper clips when they were converted in the 30's.

Large ring contour on outside, but, uses a small ring barrel with longer than standard threaded shank.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
"03/38" is an importer designation, as is "M38."

The "03/38" I just got for Christmas was refurbished in 1937. They did them throughout the '30s.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are actually 1903 Turkish mausers furnished to the Turks by the Oberndorf factory in Germany. Originally chambered in 7.65 Belgium.

In the 30's they were re-arsenaled and converted to 8x57 for logistics reasons.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of a butcherized Yugo 24/47.

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:

http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplusrifles.html

Bottom of the page, Thanks for the replies.

Yep, That's a model 24.

The /47 designation generally denotes the year of adoption of the reworked configuration.

They are nice rifles.

How about those 1903/38's? Standard or intermideate? Could those possibly be the same as the 24/52 reworked vz24's?

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
quote:
That question's already been answered, more than once. They're the intermediate length, Mauser Oberndorf built, M1903 Turkish Mauser, rebuilt by the Turks in the 1930s and converted from 7.65x53 to 7.92x57.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote