Tools

Are these actions any good?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3707 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be picking mine up from UPS today. I hope to take pictures and do a little write up tomorrow.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to your assessment.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If these are the same actions as Global Trading was making, Frank DeHaas stated in Bolt Action Rifles on page 349 they used 32CRMO4 which is more or less medium carbon chrome moly steel.

4130-4140ish, not A2.

http://books.google.com/books?...al%20trading&f=false

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alright guys, it has been a long day so I am going to keep this fairly short.

Initial impression - not impressed.

Overall the fit and finish of the action is very poor. The machining is abysmal quality and the surface finish is worse than my circa 1904 Shaper puts out. I am not sure HOW they get a surface finish as bad as parts of this action have.

Bolt is extremely hard to cock after firing. Trigger is pretty nice, adjustable, and steel. Safety works but it is stiff and jumpy. Bottom metal is pretty decent. Floor plate is really wobbly open, locks up with minimal movement. Follower does not travel like it should due to the receiver.

My personal Rockwell tester is down for service, so I used a set of Rockwell files. I was able to file the action with the 40Rc file. So I snuck it into work when I went in today. Took 5 tests in various areas on the bottom from of the receiver. The variance is probably due to the irregular and poor surface but I did not have time to mill or grind it flat. Ranged from 38 to 43.5 on a calibrated and certified hardness tester in the Rockwell C scale.

Also found out these actions are not interchangable with 98 parts. At least the two bolts I had handy (ie on the bench) would not fit in the action and the bolt would not go in a 1909 action.

Now, for the reality check. It was $322 to my door. With a significant amount of work it could be a VERY nice action. It will just require a LOT a LOT a LOT of work.

Is it worth it... that depends. If you have the means, either by tools or finances to have it reworked then it could be a very good action. Considering almost every rifle and or project I do for customers includes a great deal of rework on mauser actions... this is not TOO much different. For something made in the last 20 years though.... its a pretty sad example.

Oh, if you noticed the feed rails are... well... square? It fed 6.5x55 without too much issue and 7x64 reasonably. Guess thats what it will be!

Edited to add:

I had a little time in the shop to play with this action some more. As mentioned above, the parts do not *appear* to be 100% interchangeable. I went through about a dozen bolts and actions and not all interchanged.

The geometry of most mating parts seems good, just rough. Bolt shroud times correctly and locks solidly into place. Safety cams cocking piece back as it should though I did not measure how much. The face of the cocking piece will have to be reworked as it is not square to the sear. Bolt lugs, receiver, bolt face, will all have to be trued or reworked as they are very rough. Did not set up anything to measure for accuracy.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the report.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5173 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Mine just showed up today.
The one I recieved must be a little nicer than the previous poster, fit and finish are very acceptable, bolt cycles well slightly hard to close, safety and trigger are both functional and positive.
For the money spent I am very pleased.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about scope rings?

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The quality of this "deal" from Sarco depends on one's intended use.

How many of us wish we had bought barrels of the inexpensive Mauser clone actions such as Whitworths available from eastern Europe, the British Isles, even Spain which were available in the last 20-30 years or so?

Hell, I've bought a lot of successful $1,000 custom BR actions which weren't (and still aren't) perfect by the "desirable " standards of many here.

If I was young enough to use them up and healthy enough to use them at all, I think I'd be ordering at least a dozen, probably several dozen of these Mauser clones.

This (and many other threads)here remind me of the old saying to the effect that "Doers" do, while "Teachers" teach because they can't do. Obviously that thought is a generalization, subject to all the caveats of any generalization, but it makes my point.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, with guys wanting $200 for a pitted up, crest ground milsurp action that you throw 1/2 of it away, these look like bargains, even with their various issues.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug W:
Yep, with guys wanting $200 for a pitted up, crest ground milsurp action that you throw 1/2 of it away, these look like bargains, even with their various issues.

Yep.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did you locate the items from Sarco? Thanks

Posts: 132 | Location: Kenai Peninsula,Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of them to examine. My action hardness tested between 40 and 42 Rockwell. I can echo the impressions expressed above. I consider the action a good value if you have the skill to upgrade it yourself. It would take less work to get this action up to standard that the $200 military Mauser. I investigated scope mount options and found two: Sunny Hill makes a ring set for it at around $200-$225. Talley has made a set of bases using their #16 flat-bottom front base and thinning their #6 base to a flat bottom the same thickness as the #16. I have a set of the bases and they work.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2147 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
What other ring options are available to attach directly to the grooved receiver?
I don't want to add bases on top.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the extractor interchangeable with a standard Mauser 98 one? I'd like to see if I could procure some Dumoulin extractors for my other Mausers if so.

Sent from my iPhone

Posts: 663 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one I received was a little nicer than the others reviewed here. There are no proof marks. Mine Rockwelled between 40 and 42. I ordered a spare Dumoulin bolt and it would not fit the Dumoulin receiver. The cam on the shroud needed work. I sent it back. The receiver is larger that a standard ring M98. It won't drop into a Mauser stock, but can be inletted to fit.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Picked up my two yesterday. Yes, a little rough but that can be cleaned up. Main issue for me is the bottom metal, one does not close properly and the other is a )*&&^ to open.

On a strange note, one action is as pictured above, the entire bolt is silver in color, the other has a black bolt, handle and all.

Overall, good deal as far as I am concerned. Am doing what Mr. Canuck mentioned, into the safe next to the Mexican Mausers until I can dream up and afford what I want to build them into.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
What other ring options are available to attach directly to the grooved receiver?

Any body know?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Any body know?

The photos don't make it clear, but the dovetailed receiver looks like it could be the same as either a Tikka or a Brno. My first guess would be Brno since it is also a Mauser derivative. It should be easy enough to find a ringmount for either to try on the receiver in question. A more remote possibility is that it could be the same as the old BSA grooved receiver. It doesn't appear to have a taper, so that would rule out Sako.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Front dovetail measures 16mm, the rear measures 14.5mm on mine. Straight dovetails,, no taper.

Posts: 697 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sunny Hill and EAW are the only two outfits that make rings to fit the bases. The EAW ring is really high. I saw one on the Dumoulin website. The Talley only adds .100 to height. By the way, I ordered several actions and a quantity of Talley bases. My first action is getting a 9.3X62 barrel installed now.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Just ordered 10. I will keep the best and sell the rest. Nothing else availible in this price range with these features. May not make a great exhibition grade rifle but I bet it will make an awsome hunter.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1253 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Just received my 10 action, wow, these are a great deal. Yes they are rough but the actions just need finishing.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1253 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I have two of these. The first one (different rollmark) is finished and the second Dumoulin rollmark is still sitting in the box. They are the exact same action.

IMO, these are very nice actions for the money but both of mine needed a little work when new. The Global Trading model was worse than the Dumoulin. The safety needed to be re-timed, the floorplate had a lot of play in it and the cocking was a little rough. My gunsmith fixed all those issues and said it wasn't a big deal. When I got the Dumoulin-Herstal action it wouldn't cock at all. I got out the emory cloth and worked over the cocking cam area of the bolt and then polished it. Now it cocks smoothly with little effort. The safety is perfect and while the floorplate isn't as tight as a Blackburn it's acceptable.

I have a sneaking feeling (nothing to back this statement up) that these are Domoulin-Herstal rejects. The reason I think this is because I talked to someone on another thread who bought two of these and the bolt was polished on one and the other was still blued. Mine is blued.

IMO, even with the extra attention needed to get these up to par I still think it's a great starting point for a custom rifle and an excellent deal to boot.

New Domoulin action with SunnyHill mounts.

The finished one in .338-06 built on a shoestring budget.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Very nice build.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Damned nice wood.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I need to find out where you get your shoestrings. Eeker

Mike

Posts: 21374 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I need to find out where you get your shoestrings. Eeker

No kidding Mike, he must have shoestrings made of unicorn hair. Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12590 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Hehe, here is a breakdown of the parts.

Action: $275.00. IMO, pretty cheap for what it is.

Stock blank: $650.00 Clay over at Luxus Walnut hooked me up with that blank. It probably would have been an $1800-$2000 blank but it had a huge bark pocket in the butt area. I made a stock pattern with a lot of drop in it and Shane Thompson did a masterful job in centering the bad spot on the blank so it was easy to work with. I shaped, fitted, fixed and finished the stock myself which saved a lot of cash. It was sent to Tim Smith for one of his simple $75 point patterns. With checking, I've always thought simple was better.

Barrel: This is an old Guild barrel somebody pulled off an action and saw no value in it. I bought it in an Ebay auction for $160. The outside was in great shape but the bore looked like a sewer pipe. It was sent off and re-bored to a .338-06.

That's the big stuff, after it was all over with I had right at $2100 in the rifle finished. Not bad considering it's hard to get a custom Remington 700 in a plastic stock for that nowadays.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
.I'm guessing about 5-6 years ago

I just went back and looked. The album the pictures are posted in was started in 2007.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A $295 action that "needs work", at least $20 in shipping fees, $25 transfer fee, and $200+ ring/mounts from Sunny-Hill,,,,,,, heck of a deal!

Posts: 697 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 160 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder too?
Anybody know?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Dumoulin, their web site is out of date. They no longer make a rifle on a std length action. They still make the long magnum "White Hunter" on what they called a German made action.
The company is more involved with manufacturer of aircraft parts & less with firearms.
I suspect these were left over after they discontinued the guns made on them.
See page 14
http://www.skywin.be/sites/def...tique%20-%202013.pdf

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody know if these are Chinese made?

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I just picked up my action today and got a barrel while I was at it so I'm ready. Barrel is a Kreiger 7mm 8.5 twist chrome moly. The action is far nicer than I expected from some of the remarks on here. Mine has some blemishes over the entire action but they are from improper packaging and of no consequence.Looks as if the actions were ground to final configuration and then blued with no real polishing done prior to bluing. Floorplate is tight and neat and everything works as designed. It will stand a little stoning to be what would be called smooth but that is easily done.On mine the bolt is blued and extractor is polished.the left rail is marked 'Dumoulin Herstel S.A.' in script. Bottom of action immediately behind the recoil lug it is stamped Sarco Easton Pa, Belguim,Mauser and has a '0' on the flat. These are very shallow stampings. Serial Number is 5364 and it has no other markings. Tapped holes in top of dovetails have no filler screws installed. With some judicious polishing and replacement of the bolt handle it will be good to go. I would say it will take far less work than any military I have ever done and certainly less polishing as there is no pitting or scratches to polish out. I have been building rifles mostly from various surplus Mauser actions along with a few Enfields and Springfields for over 60 years. This action surface is certainly no rougher than any Springfield I ever worked on and definitely better than some late production Mausers I have seen.Most VZ24's are far smoother as are most 1909's though the last 1909 I bought had the sloppiest bolt I have ever had in a Mauser. For a total cost to me with shipping,transfer and all it was about $360. Actually the barrel cost $20 more.I consider it the best bargain I have managed to buy in many years.Add Boyds classic laminate from Midway and you will have one heck of a nice custom for less than a $1000. To me that's a bargain. I figure by the time I finish this one out I will still have less than $2000 total in it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I hear ya Zimbabwe. I really like mine too but was a little worried about over selling it. Wink

I have the action and a mannlicher semi inlet on order. That's as far as I've gotten with it. I'm still trying to decide on the chamber.