THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    300stw, Todd E, 500grains: Double rifles from shotguns

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300stw, Todd E, 500grains: Double rifles from shotguns
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
300stw,
Thanks for the info that you were fitting stocks for Searcy double rifles built on Browning BSS shotgun actions in the 1980's.

I saw one of these for sale in about 1987 in Anchorage, Alaska. It looked and felt great, though I have never known anyone who actually put one of these to use.

I am posting here to say thanks for confirming that I wasn't imagining things. The one I saw was a 470 NE and must have been made on a 20 guage action. Maybe 12?

Obviously these conversions were done using the Browning action as a monoblock formed by cutting the shotgun barrels off at the end of the heavy chamber portion. Then rifle barrels were fitted into this monoblock with near seamless precision, from the breech or chamber end to where they blended with the outer surface at the end of the monoblock.

Then, of course one would need a new forend and buttstock to match.

I presume this is the method Todd E is talking about on the other thread that is getting unnecessarily cluttered. Seems like a common method in the early stages of the double builder.

Look out Butch Searcy, Todd E may be gearing up, and Dennis Olson is already undercutting your price with 600 NE's built on 10 guage shotguns! This per 500grains. Of course quality is another factor as yet unknown.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
RAB,

That is precisely what I was invisioning. Robgunbuilder has advised me that this may be MUCH BIGGER than I had figured though. My wife saw his post and informed me that would be a great winter of '02/'03 project to keep in the shop and out of her hair.

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw Mr. Searcy's handiwork at the Dallas SCI, and if you can match it that would be a great acomplishment, IMHO.

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somebody should ask Andr�. He owns a O/U double made by Browning.

Didn�t look exactly cheap :-))

Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A double rifle based on a shotgun is not in the same class as a ground-up double rifle. I competes only in the sense that the Jeep WRangler competes with the Hummvee

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double Rifles are based on box lock or sidelock actions. There are different arrangements for the barrels to attach together. You can build a shotgun out of them to begin with or build a rifle. A conversion would be no different. Same action just a different route to get there.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote