New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ready to try stockmaking-----again.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I fell away from shooting, reloading and general gun interest for a few years while I developed my interests and skill in woodworking and furniture making. I was absent from the gun forums for the most part, excepting the occasional post here and there.

I find now my interest renewed like never before and have come to realize that the journey into furniture building did wonders to hone my skills as a woodworker. I still have a long ways to go but I learned some of the more important skills the crossover well into stockmaking. Skills like keeping planes and chisels sharp, sneaking up on a line with scrapers and razor sharp chisels, and most importantly, patience.

I built a few stocks in the past, always from pre-inlet blanks, and they were serviceable stocks. I always felt a degree of frustration because they never came out as nicely as I had hoped. My new found enthusiasm coupled with a somewhat higher skill and patience level makes me believe I can actually build a decent stock.

I currently have an FN Mauser 98 barreled action in 257 Roberts and am planning on buying a 96 in 9.3x57, both will serve as practice rifles to build skill and confidence before delving into more projects.

Should I make the stocks from blanks or go with pre-inlet. I have a well equipped shop with all the appropriate hand and power tools. If I go with pre-inlet what is the consensus on Great American Gunstocks and Richards Microfit. I hear conflicting reports on both suppliers. They both have styles I like, the G&H styles at GAG and Richards old style classic. Is there a good source for stock patterns, silhouettes of the different styles of stocks, if I choose to go with a blank. I have Westbrook's book "Professional Stockmaking" as well as several others.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
here you go
http://forums.accuratereloadin...9411043/m/4711078031

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on Les Brooks. If You want to try a machinist, GAG and Richards Microfit are a learning experience you can probably do without. Look at the ACGM site. Roger Biesen and the Dressels both consistently supply quality semi inletted stocks in patterns you might like.

Posts: 80 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a good source for stock patterns

Jerry Fisher's mechanical drawings for the Model 70 and 98 Mauser are helpful and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Posts: 80 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, the only thing Richards Micro-Fit and GAG are good for is to make a pattern stock to send to someone who can duplicate it after you have fitted your barreled action to it.

If you like the pattern, go with it, but beware of the quality of the inletting.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote