Find
Notify
Tools

Richards micro-fit Wood Grades...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted
I have been looking at different stocks and I like the RMF Old Classic #102 stock. I have read some differing reviews about RMF, some good and some bad. Regardless, I want to get a (old classic) stock in english walnut from RMF.

The only problem that I have right now is they have limeted pictures of the diffent walnut grades. So I'm hoping someone here can post some pics of their RMF stocks and state which grade of wood it is. I am considering getting a Grade A fancy walnut in english walnut, but any species of walnut that you post will at least give me an idea of what to expect. I don't know if it's worth the extra money for the higher grades, so that's why I would like some pics.

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Claro and Black will have a LOT more figure then English in the same grade from Richards. When I first started messing around with stocks I did a few of their stocks. It was good for practice. However you'll be way ahead of the game by buying a blank and sending it off to someone like http://www.gunstockduplicating.com/

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lesee - what to expect. 9-12 month delivery, possibility is 50/50 of getting what you ordered, grading is done blindfolded with the flip of a quarter. no communication when you call wondering when, etc etc etc

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
lesee - what to expect. 9-12 month delivery, possibility is 50/50 of getting what you ordered, grading is done blindfolded with the flip of a quarter. no communication when you call wondering when, etc etc etc

I haven't bought a RMF in like 6 years? Prior to that, I totally agree with butch .. post that, if i want something they have, it would be a lam!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

This was also my experience with them in 2006. Too expensive at half the price for me to revisit. Take a look at Dressel's.

Posts: 80 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have problems in the past with delivery of product and answering the phone.
That said I usually just get the seconds that they sell.The few of the fancy grade that I have done for folks have been "GOOD" Looking in the figure dept.
I have not been disappointed except with the delivery time.YMMV

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:

This was my experience. When I finally received the stock, the wood was quite nice although it was not what was ordered.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
OK, on to plan B.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Give Shane Thompson a call, he has blanks on-hand and will email you photos to choose from. He just turned a semi-inlet for me and I couldn't be happier.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
Give Shane Thompson a call, he has blanks on-hand and will email you photos to choose from. He just turned a semi-inlet for me and I couldn't be happier.

Contact info?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richards stocks are crap. Buy something else. How do I know, you ask? I have one. My gunsmith said they are afflicted with way to much wood on them (think money to chop it off), the inletting is off-line and oversized. There are so many other, better choices. Choose wisely...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a Richard's stock last year for a Sako AIII. Since it was a special order, I was told it would take about 3 months for delivery. Six weeks later the stock arrived, and I never had any problems calling to ask questions.

I will buy from Richard's again as the stock was very nice and service was fantastic.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hoghunting:

I ordered a Richard's stock last year for a Sako AIII. Since it was a special order, I was told it would take about 3 months for delivery. Six weeks later the stock arrived, and I never had any problems calling to ask questions.

I will buy from Richard's again as the stock was very nice and service was fantastic.

You got lucky...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
You got lucky...

+1

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just received a P-14 stock from them that I ordered in January. It was one grade up from plain, and that apparently bought me a limb defect that enters in the comb and exits on the right side. The holes will have to be glassed full to make it work at all.

It will have to go back to them, as I ordered it without a safety cut, as i use a model 70 type safety. $15 charge for that, and it is noted on the invoice as "$15, leave extra wood, see note". Apparently they didn't see my note, as it came with the safety cut anyway. Won't work, as the safety housing is milled off my rifle, leaving only a straight tang.

Only real question is whether to ask for a refund, or a recut.

dave

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now you tell me! Been waiting for 2 months....damn.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Called them this morning, actually got through. They were polite and pleasant, UPS will pick it back up tomorrow, and they'll call me to talk about how to cut it right when they get it back. Other than the wait, not as unpleasant as it could be. We'll see.

dave

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't someone visit Richards a few years back and post some photos of the place?

I have not been able to locate the thread in a search.

I could possibly be in LA in September. If so I might try to pay them a visit. Their inletting is pretty crude, the shaping of the classic is not what is pictured in their advertisement. How ever they might have something available in their pick and choose pile worthwhile.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this the thread you were looking for?

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=298109133#298109133

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Richards stocks are crap. Buy something else.

And again............. Stay away.....

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Craigster, thats the one I was thinking of.

My youngest son is stationed at Port Hueneme in the Navy Sea Bees. He has passed the board for Chief and is waiting to see if he gets it. If he does, we will fly to L.A. to see him get pinned. If this comes to pass I will drop in on these guys just to have a look see.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rub Line:
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:

Contact info?

(208) 547-0383
1223 Bailey Creek Cir, Soda Springs, ID 83276-5501

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a laminate from them a while back. It was definitely rough and took a lot of work to get the way I wanted. With the bulky stocks you can trim it where you want to, which is easier than adding back on to one. It also had a bad laminate that I had to pry open and fill with glue. It was cheap though, so I guess you get what you pay for.