THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Rebuild My Old Southbend 13" Vs. Buying New Import Lathe

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebuild My Old Southbend 13" Vs. Buying New Import Lathe
 Login/Join

posted
I started building custom guns about 10 yrs ago and started out with a 1945 model SouthBend 13". Its all original except for the paint. I've decided its time to take the plunge and upgrade. Upgrade may not be the correct term, maybe i should say i'm ready to have a lathe that isn't as worn. The only thing I don't like about the old Southbend as far as options is the spindle bore and odd ball spindle thread. I do all barrel work between centers and a steadyrest because of this. The ways, or apron, have a deep spot in front of the chuck as do the tail stock ways. Wear in the tailstock shaft is also an area needing attention. I got a quote from Texas Machine Tool International which came in at $13K. This didn't include parts or shipping. This also didn't include upgrading the small through-hole spindle to a newer D1-4. I'm guessing an additional minimum of $3k for shipping and spindle upgrade. I told myself before checking into rebuilding if it was less than $10k id do it. Coming up with the extra $6k or more isn't go fly. I hate to admit it but i've seriously been thinking about the Grizzly O509G. I've ran a Jet 16x40 ZX and on many occasions for my real job and must admit that its a pretty smooth, very heavy and seemingly accurate lathe. Granted its a step up from the Grizzly in mass, but its still coming from the same plant. I think my old SouthBend has an overall "smoother" feel than that big Jet. Machinery dealers are far and few between here in southern AZ and I'm not sure I want another used lathe anyway. I've found several newer Nardini's on Ebay in the $6k-$10K range but again, i've got a used lathe now, I really don't want another. Does anybody have the Grizzly 0509G that can give me some insite? If you had a budget of $10k what would you do with it?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
If I replaced my lathe "today" I would have o509g and convert to single phase. I have a 2hp vfd which isn't enough. 3 hp single phase would be fine

http://www.grizzly.com/product...s-Metal-Lathe/G0509G

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Definitely buy the new one.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Grizzly lathe is the 12x36, but I'm very happy with it. A good friend bought the larger one and is also very happy with it. I liked the South Bend's they had at Trinidad, but I prefer the lack of wear, the easy availability of tooling, the larger hole through the headstock, and the customer support on the Grizzly.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am putting my nardini MS1440 up for sale it is very nice & well kept it has a taper attachment (brand new I added it) steady & follow rest, change gears import aloris style tool post with holders, most of the tooling you need including Jacobs chuck live centers etc. I have a buck set tru 6 jaw on it that will probably go with it. I would be willing to travel a good distance to deliver or meet someone.

Posts: 328 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote