New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quite muzzle brakes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was just wondering if you guys could tell me a few brands of brakes that are more on the quiet side. I know that there are some that push the noise away from the shooter. Just want to research them, might buy one. Thanks

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Quiet muzzle brake is an oxymoron.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4205 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

The laws of physics still stand. Some may be quieter than others but that means that they are less efficient.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

Ditto, Ditto AND double Ditto what he said. If you need a decibal meter to tell the difference then there's not ENOUGH difference to make any difference. Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sound is a strange thing
It requires apx 3dB of difference for the human ear to registre difference for sure.
A rifleshot mesured at the left and right ear when right hand shooting only differs 4dB, but most older hunters suffers from mutch more hearingloos at the ear closest to the muzzle. So a difference at only 4dB makes a world of difference when it comes to harming your hearing.
A muzzlebrake of the type directing the gass 90deg, often increase the sound at the shooters ear by up to 10dB

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:
Sound is a strange thing
It requires apx 3dB of difference for the human ear to registre difference for sure.
A rifleshot mesured at the left and right ear when right hand shooting only differs 4dB, but most older hunters suffers from mutch more hearingloos at the ear closest to the muzzle. So a difference at only 4dB makes a world of difference when it comes to harming your hearing.
A muzzlebrake of the type directing the gass 90deg, often increase the sound at the shooters ear by up to 10dB

True.

There may also be another reason contributing to that "deafer" ear. The side closest to the muzzle is also the side which does not have a stock up against it. I suspect the stock to some degree adds a layer of protection for the ear held against it, even if both ears are covered with muffs.

Additionally, the primary sound pressure wave travels back from the muzzle as a "cone", the center of which is less "violent" . The closer to the center of the cone, the less whack the sound strikes the ear with.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:
Sound is a strange thing

True.

There may also be another reason contributing to that "deafer" ear. The side closest to the muzzle is also the side which does not have a stock up against it. I suspect the stock to some degree adds a layer of protection for the ear held against it, even if both ears are covered with muffs.

Additionally, the primary sound pressure wave travels back from the muzzle as a "cone", the center of which is less "violent" . The closer to the center of the cone, the less whack the sound strikes the ear with.

All I can say is I'm right handed. I've lost 60% in the left ear and only 40% in the right. If only I had been smart enought to use protection when I hunted. Frowner

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe decibels are linear. I think a noise ten times louder would be an increase of 10 decibels.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Magna-port. My experiece is they work great and the report is only slightly sharper than a non-magna ported rifle.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't believe decibels are linear. I think a noise ten times louder would be an increase of 10 decibels

Here let me provide TOO MUCH info.

The decibel (abbreviated dB) is the unit used to measure the intensity of a sound. The decibel scale is a little odd because the human ear is incredibly sensitive. Your ears can hear everything from your fingertip brushing lightly over your skin to a loud jet engine. In terms of power, the sound of the jet engine is about 1,000,000,000,000 times more powerful than the smallest audible sound. That's a big difference!

On the decibel scale, the smallest audible sound (near total silence) is 0 dB. A sound 10 times more powerful is 10 dB. A sound 100 times more powerful than near total silence is 20 dB. A sound 1,000 times more powerful than near total silence is 30 dB. Here are some common sounds and their decibel ratings:

silence - 0 dB
A whisper - 15 dB
Normal conversation - 60 dB
A lawnmower - 90 dB
A car horn - 110 dB
A rock concert or a jet engine - 120 dB
A gunshot or firecracker - 140 dB
You know from your own experience that distance affects the intensity of sound -- if you are far away, the power is greatly diminished. All of the ratings above are taken while standing near the sound.
Any sound above 85 dB can cause hearing loss, and the loss is related both to the power of the sound as well as the length of exposure. You know that you are listening to an 85-dB sound if you have to raise your voice to be heard by somebody else. Eight hours of 90-dB sound can cause damage to your ears; any exposure to 140-dB sound causes immediate damage (and causes actual pain).

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:

All I can say is I'm right handed. I've lost 60% in the left ear and only 40% in the right. If only I had been smart enought to use protection when I hunted. Frowner

I'd say "join the club", but you already have.
Me too.

But if it is any consolation, it wasn't just us. It was pretty much everybody back in the day.

When I was a soldier, the Army wouldn't let us wear ear protection (mainly, I think, they didn't want to pay for it). Besides, they told us, only sissies use ear protection. (At least that was the general import of the DI's remarks. the actual phraseology was somewhat more picturesque.)

Later when I underwent FBI training with the sub-guns (Thompsons), they didn't want us using ear protection on the range because we might "miss" some range command.

When I was on a Calif. police dept and I was armed with a VERY short-barreled 9 m/m sub-gun for "special occasions", they had us do our team practice firing in an indoor, solid concrete (walls, floor and ceiling) basement range!! (Wouldn't be heard outside, wouldn't exite any civilians....)

Those were the days.....yeh....you bet...

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
So, are the Vais claims of a "quiet" brake just marketing hype?

I don't have a Vais, but have wondered about it.

I do use other brakes on some rifles, and they are all louder than the same rifles unbraked.

Hence my question.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rub Line:
Magna-port. My experiece is they work great and the report is only slightly sharper than a non-magna ported rifle.

I have shot a lot of different muzzlebreaks.

I agree with Rub Line Magna-Port does not seem any louder in the field to me.
Also it does not kick up dirt, grass, or snow, if you shoot prone, off a rock, etc.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
At 77 years of age and many many years of shooting before I used hearing protection I was told the other day that my 3 year old hearing aid in my left ear (I'm right handed)has about reached its useful life and will have to be replaced soon. That's a $1200 investment for 3 years use (average life of an aid). A good pair of ear muffs or better yet custom molds is a wise investment if done early enough and any time is better than not ever using protection. I was a radio operator in the service and you can't believe the number of times I have to use the old operator term 'say again' in course of a normal converstaion even with the aid. Had to buy a super loud alarm clock because if I sleep on my right side I can't hear it when it rings. If the recoil is too brutal use a smaller round. I am sensitive to recoil but have managed to kill 3 elephant using a 470 Nitro Merkel as the largest gun. With the factory weight in the buttstock it was not too unpleasant to shoot hunting. I did very little practicing with it however. In fact the first 2 rounds fired thru it were in a 3" circle at 50 yds and I figured that was good enough for elephant,and it was. Loss of hearing is 24 hours a day 365 days a year and it sucks.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

I do use other brakes on some rifles, and they are all louder than the same rifles unbraked.

Hence my question.

I believe it was DB Bill(Maybe RIP??) who had Vais braked rifles. He was of the opinion that they were much quieter than a standard brake.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
I don't believe decibels are linear. I think a noise ten times louder would be an increase of 10 decibels.

An increase of 3dB is dubling the energy in that sound
an increase of 3dB is the smallest difference in soundpresure you can register by the human ear.
Lowfrequent noise contains more energy pr dB than highfrequence.
Lowfrequence noise is werry hard to stop.
Highfrequence noise is easily stopped.
Gunshot is mainly lowfrequence noise, but a noise that to some extent is directed forward and away from the shooter.
By instaling an eficient brake you direct the boom to the sides, To benefit from the rocketefect, or to reduce the forward directed rocket. This will increase the soundenergy reaching the shooters ear. Often by increasing the energy, that reaches the shooters ear, by 9 times.
You can reduce the backwards noice, as Vaise, but that also reduces the efect of the brake.

Eficient brakes actualy is "Rocketsience"

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:

Not exactly.

A doubling in sound energy IIRC is 3 dB gain.
so every 3 Db the sound energy is doubling. And yes you are correct that a change in sound energy by a factor of 10 is a 10dB change
so 10 dB is 10 but 20 dB is 100 and 30dB is 1000 and so on

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
muzzle brakes work by redirecting gas pressure ..gas being bent makes noise.. frankly, the louder it is, the more its working

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Surely it's another example of Newton's laws?

Energy doesn't disappear, it just takes on another form and therefore the quieter the brake, the less effective it is.

If you want to reduce felt recoil without adding noise, fit a mercury tube or tungsten bead recoil arrestor.

Oh and here's another onne who's lost 60/40% of hearing. I now wear Walker's Game Ears when shooting and sometimes also as hearing aids and they work a treat for both applications. I just wish I had them 40 years ago.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

Hence my question.

I believe it was DB Bill(Maybe RIP??) who had Vais braked rifles. He was of the opinion that they were much quieter than a standard brake.

I have heard that they incorporate some of the internal venting features of a sound suppressor. Not sure if that's the case, but it would explain an ability to reduce noise as compared to a brake without such features.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both models of VAIS brakes on rifles. For several years he lived about twenty miles from my house. The original, now being made by Bartlett, is difficult to tell from the same load with it off. His new one, is a bit louder, but cuts felt recoil by a tremendous amount. Depends on which is more important to you. I prefer the original design to the new one.

I built a 22-378 Wbee/AI several years ago. The original made it possible to shoot off the bench accurately.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote