Find
Notify
Tools

need input on MPI Mauser stocks
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
I need to order an MPI stock for a Mexican Mauser. I'm set on MPI b/c I don't have 6-months to wait on a McMillan, and I generally think the MPI stocks are trimmer (which is what I'm after.)

With that in mind, has anyone used the Dakota Classic or thier model "The Nitro Stock" stock on a Mauser?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I wanted that exact stock for a 98 large ring. I talked to a guy named "Doc" at MPI about it and was about to order. Then I heard all the horror stories of people that delt with this outfit.

Here is a picture of one a guy provided about a MPI stock he refinished. It's made with popcsicle sticks!

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have 3 I believe and built 2 others for my Elk outfitter and his son. We have never had an issue with them staying together. The two have been used in the Mtn in CO for the last 7 or 8 years.

Only issue I had was there Rough blank required a lot of work to make it smooth and finished. I have never used their finished stock.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
I wanted that exact stock for a 98 large ring. I talked to a guy named "Doc" at MPI about it and was about to order. Then I heard all the horror stories of people that delt with this outfit.

Here is a picture one guy profided about a MPI stock he refinished. It's made with popcsicle sticks!

Terry

Eeker Eeker

Are those english walnut quarter sawn popcicle sticks? Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here is a picture one guy profided about a MPI stock he refinished. It's made with popcsicle sticks!

Terry

Are you joking Terry?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have two of them whch were built, installed and finished by MPI.

One is on a .243 "mountain rifle". The other is on a.30/.338. Both have been in use now for over 17 years. Both have served excellently.

The .243 in particular has been sort-of-carried, more like dragged, over miles of Arizona high desert while I literally crawled on my belly through cacti, dry washes, rocky outcroppings, etc., sneaking up on antelope.

I don't know what MPI uses for a stock finish, but the green/black camo finishes on both of these rifles still look just like new. They also have not changed POI in all that time.

So, horror stories or not, I have found the ones on my guns to be however much better than excellent it is possible to get, in this world.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We use the MPI blanks/unfinished stocks and have been very satisfied. One on a .300 Win Mag (Sako AV action, Shaw barrel) has been going strong since 1987 and been all over the country, several times, no problems whatsoever.
Got two going right now, a .270 WSM and a .308 sniper, and both are fine. Always had good service and quick turn-around with Doc.

Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:

Are you joking Terry?

No I'm not. If you have something from this company that works, that's great. Me, I'll steer a wide path around MPI.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
non-partisan, neutral observation and question from a guy who don't know jack-

the cloth is sanded away, revealing the popsicle sticks; so the sticks are the core that the glass and cloth are applied to as the glass is laid up.

does it make a difference, in this case, what the core is made of?

thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks I hadn't noticed the glass was gone.

Anyway I sent a copy of the picture to MPI and asked if they cared to comment. That some potential buyers were concerned. If they do I'll share it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
non-partisan, neutral observation and question from a guy who don't know jack-

the cloth is sanded away, revealing the popsicle sticks; so the sticks are the core that the glass and cloth are applied to as the glass is laid up.

thanks.

In all honesty, I can't see were it matters if there is any glass behind or in front of the popsicle sticks. That is a rifle stock and, those are popsicle sticks in it. I can't imagine why anybody would have a motive to trash this company if it wasn't true.

If I worked at MPI I would deny it, does it prove it isn't his? no. Do I have proof that is? again, no, but I have read enough bad things about this company that I wouldn't deal with them.

Go over to the 24hr campfire and do a search on MPI over there. Those of you familiar with that site know those guy's over there love SS and syn stocks. They don't even like MPI.

Terry

One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Dan Pederson did the metalwork for me on a 30-06 Scout rifle built on a 1903 Springfield action with integral barrel features. I wanted a McMillan stock, but they wouldn't stock a Springfield. Doc at MPI said no problem and built the stock exactly the way I wanted. I speced the color, LOP, recoil pad, weight and Pachmayr flush swivel studs. He did exactly what I asked and the stock is durable and attractive. The rifle is sub-MOA. A sample of one is meaningless, but I'm happy with MPI and they've been around a while.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Here is MPIs quick reply:

Hi Paul,
The story is ( obviously ) totally false.
It is a very idiotic and silly and a bad joke.
It was manufactured by a guy named (I chose to leave the name out but If someone is interested I'm sure Doc would supply it), who did some very shoddy work for me long ago and is spreading false rumors about my company.
EVERY bit of work he did for me had to be done over completely.
I appreciate your inquiry.
I hope this helps to handle the rumor.
thanks
Doc
MPI Stocks

As I stated. To reduce the risk of getting my own butt in trouble I left out the name. Big Grin The person in question appeared was doing work for MPI and had to be redone. I would also assume they parted less than friends. If that is fact I could see why someone would choose to trash MPI.

I like stated earlier. I have no experience with their finished stock. I needed to sand and fill several areas on a couple of "rough" blanks. I did end up with nice 1# stocks that have held up very well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, I told y'all I don't know jack... hillbilly

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I have used a couple of them through the years and never had a problem. I would use them again.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Here is MPIs quick reply:

Hi Paul,
The story is ( obviously ) totally false.
It is a very idiotic and silly and a bad joke.
It was manufactured by a guy named (I chose to leave the name out but If someone is interested I'm sure Doc would supply it), who did some very shoddy work for me long ago and is spreading false rumors about my company.
EVERY bit of work he did for me had to be done over completely.
I appreciate your inquiry.
I hope this helps to handle the rumor.
thanks
Doc
MPI Stocks

As I stated. To reduce the risk of getting my own butt in trouble I left out the name. Big Grin The person in question appeared was doing work for MPI and had to be redone. I would also assume they parted less than friends. If that is fact I could see why someone would choose to trash MPI.

I like stated earlier. I have no experience with their finished stock. I needed to sand and fill several areas on a couple of "rough" blanks. I did end up with nice 1# stocks that have held up very well.

OK, so Doc admits that it is a MPI stock and, the guy worked for MPI. And, "Doc" had to "redo" everything this guy did. So obviously either the picture is a fake or a customer got this stock and found it full of popsicle sticks. I wonder which. Roll Eyes

The guy that posted this picture stated the latter. Rumor?

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In fairness, I don't see where "Doc" admitted that this was an MPI stock.

Like others, reading some of the stories about MPI stocks has caused me some concern about using them. But, I think we have to recognize that there is a tremendous amount of misinformation on the internet. Yes, some even exists on such hallowed sites as AR. Further, such misinformation gets perpetuated ad infinitum for various reasons, e.g., all the urban legend emails.

I'm not sure how long MPI has been in business, but I have seen their advertisements in magazines for a long time. Staying power in business usually counts for something.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
No offence but that stock was obviously made in a mold. Think about it.

Yes, I know the guy that ate 100 packs of pop rocks and he didn't blow up. Roll Eyes

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I KNOW mine sure as hell isn't built on popsicle sticks, because I had him leave the butt area hollow and put "trick" pads on them, which can be removed just by unscrewing the rear sling swivel.Inside each I carry two space blankets, 10 rounds of ammo, a waterproof match packet, a map of wherever I happen to be hunting, and a compass. I can also look at what the inside of each stock is...layers of fibreglass cloth and epoxy, to be specific.

MPI stocks are not cheap, but for MY money, I would buy them again before I would buy any more McMillan sporters.

McMillans are good stocks and I have several on my BR guns, but I only have one on a sporter. I did not get what was ordered for that sporter, and it is poorly bedded (they did the bedding). Anyone can make one error, so I am NOT turned off of McMillans, but I found MPI much more cooperative in building what I personally want.

At MPI I can specify everything if I let them do all the work; LOP, OAL, forend diameter, pistol grip curve, cast off, color, finish, ADL or BDL type for ANY action, hidden swivel bases, and so on.

Additionally, I can't think of a bolt gun MPI won't build a stock for....they even stocked my Newton rifle!

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used MPI stocks. The last was a lightweight that resembles the late model 70 Feather Weight stocks. After examining it I decided that I wanted more strength in the fore end and laid in some more glass cloth and refilled it with foam. The only real problem was comb height. The stock I ordered was to fit an FN 98 (think Sears 50). When bedded to proper depth the bolt did not clear the nose of the comb. Had to cut down the top line of the butt and relay some glass cloth and refinish to good surface. Really not too big a problem but I wondered if MPI had ever tried a 98 in a stock which was a close copy of one for a M70 and perhaps was originally made for a M70 followed by M98 inletting. Also, the sharp pointed screw which retains the bolt releasecartridge stop sat outside the stock and the area had to be built up with glass to enclose it. It has turned out to be a good stock but perhaps not every one has the experience to modify a stock as I received it. As I had the innards of the stock fully exposed I can state there were no popsicle sticks in it.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Stocker, I'm would bet they did just that, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. if you'll look at the picture. It's obvious the stock started out as a long action detachable mag stock and then ended up as a short action fixed mag stock. I'm sure each pattern has many inlets.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Im glad to see a true representative of MPI has disposed of the derogatory myth that their stocks are being made with the same materials and manufacturing process as an alldaysucker.
I do like the pattern NewGuy has pictured above. Tom Burgess has used it on his rifle builds as below:

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
How do you figure he disposed of it? He say's he didn't, the picture say's he did. If you were in his shoes what would you say?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I only have one MPI stock, and it's one of the first ones they built about 20 years ago or so. It's on a very light .338, and it's held together perfectly through an awful lot of hard use. It's no worse than any I've seen, and it's damn sure better than some I've seen.

On the other hand, I have many stocks made out of chunks of dead tree..some of them very expensive chunks of dead tree!..and I've had more than one of them crack in the tang.

I do believe MPIs are rougher and more work to finish, but I would have no qualms about their integrity. Frankly, I don't care if they're built out of dried and pressed horse turds, as long as they do what they're supposed to do.

Posts: 5856 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tc1,
at this point in time Im more inclined to take MPI word for it.
You have provided a picture from a guy who claims he attempted to refinished an MPI stock and found what we see in the photo...thats good to see a photo.
1/who the "guy"?
2/how do we acertain that is in fact an MPI stock that has been manufactured that way in the MPI factory?
Between AR and 24HRcampfire and all the so called horror stories of MPI, where are all the factuated visually exposed examples of pop stick construction?
Surely if that is/was MPI common method of construction we would see a good number more examples coming to light, yet we dont.
I suppose its rather simple, if all MPI stock owners emailed MPI to ask If they would by any chance find factory applied popstick construction in their handle, id be interested to know what MPI answer would be. And if it was proved that MPI gave them a false or missleading responce,Im confident we would see it splattered all over the AR/24hrCF forums.
I dont have an MPI stock to sand back and find out.
I have seen McMillan stocks that had terrible alignment of inleting on shop new factorySynthetic M70featherweights from anumber of yrs ago. The metal was all the way over to the left,leaving the stock very thin on that side. Obviously that how McMllan allowed the unit to leave their factory and winchester allowed the same.
I am also aware that Mr.Echols is careful to inspect shipments of Legend blanks from MCmillan to make sure they are up to scratch.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodjack:
Tc1,
at this point in time Im more inclined to take MPI word for it.
You have provided a picture from a guy who claims he attempted to refinished an MPI stock and found what we see in the photo...thats good to see a photo.
1/who the "guy"?
2/how do we acertain that is in fact an MPI stock that has been manufactured that way in the MPI factory?
Between AR and 24HRcampfire and all the so called horror stories of MPI, where are all the factuated visually exposed examples of pop stick construction?
Surely if that is/was MPI common method of construction we would see a good number more examples coming to light?
I suppose its rather simple, if all MPI stock owners emailed MPI and asked If they would by any chance find popsticks in their handle,id be interested to know what MPI answer would be.And it was proved that MPi gave them a false responce,Im con fident we would see it splattered all over the AR/24hrCF forums.

Because "doc" admitted the guy worked for him and he admitted he had to "fix" many things this guy did for him while he worked there at MPI. Because the one you see in the picture was made in a mold and not by hand (think about it). I never said all the stocks were made from popsicle sticks. I said this one was and there is a picture of it which some seem to be in denial about. I have read enough complaints from others to know this is a company I don't care to do business with. That was my point from the begining. The biggest complaints I here about these stocks is weak forends, warping and a piss poor fit from the maker. I haven't read a thing that's changed my opinion about the company yet. They probably build a decent stock most of the time, but they've also pissed enough folks off along the way to create a bad reputation for themselves.

I can see this going nowhere as the poster above you wants to try ag this on by talking about wood stocks Roll Eyes

If you like them, buy one. Hell, buy a thousand and change the world. Makes me no difference, but I'll still express my opinion about the product when I see fit.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Were only talking about wood in a glass stock cause you decided to post a picture of it and as I said before Im glad you did. I did not accuse you of saying all MPi stocks have sticks in them. A possible common method of construction is the term I used.Common does not mean all,everything or absolute.
I dont know, there could be one,none,or 500 made like that from MPI and maybe you dont really know either.
Once again Il ask, how can we acertain that that is how the stock left the MPI factory?
If you have the accurate juice on the matter please enlighen us to it, to the benefit of many here on AR.
Instead of just posting the picture why dont you give us all a proper link to its source and discussion surrounding the photo. If there is such a link, Im sure most here would appreciate it and maybe it will give us a better perspective&understanding.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once again Il ask, how can we acertain that that is how the stock left the MPI factory?

OK, I'll repeat it again.

Because "doc" admitted the stock came from a guy that worked for him and he admitted he had to "fix" many things this guy did for him while he worked there at MPI. Because the stock you see in the picture was made in a mold and not by hand (think about it) You can't get the popsicle sticks to contour and stay on the outside of the stock without them being in a mold. Do you think the guy went and had a mold made so he could slander doc? No. Doc admits the stock came from a guy that worked for him. It came out of a mold which pretty much means it came from MPI. Doc Denies it (surprized? Roll Eyes) but given all the other crap I've read about his product I have absalutely no problem believing it.

Like I said before, buy all you want. It makes me no difference, but I will express my opinions when I see fit.

Terry

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
No. Doc admits the stock came from a guy that worked for him. It came out of a mold which pretty much means it came from MPI. Doc Denies it (surprized? ) but given all the other crap I've read about his product I have absalutely no problem believing it.

The name I chose to leave off the reply was the name of an idividual working for another Gunsmith shop in Oregon. Not working in the MPI shop. Doc didn't say that was his stock. Only that the guy was posting the picture saying it was. Heck maybe the guy was doing the finish work and Doc had to redo it because of all the "other crap" complaints.

One bad thing about the internet. Someone post a picture like that. It becomes FACT because it was posted and then passed on to every forum. I don't know the person that posted the original picture from the man in the moon. Why should I assume he is right and Doc is wrong? Other than reference rough blanks being rough and needing work I see only positive comments from people that have actually used MPI. TC1 if you have used one and been disappointed I stand corrected.

Trying to defend yourself on the internet after something like this picture is posted is like trying to answer the question:

"do you still beat your wife??? Yes or no????

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread seems slanderous. This picture proves nothing and we can't determine if this stock is a MPI or not. Even if it is a MPI stock, this could very easily be a photoshop work. Today, pictures prove nothing as any 12 year old with a PC could have made this picture. I don't know what all this talk is about it coming out of a mould is about, the picture is problably a fake.

BTW, I have no dog in this fight as I have never owned and MPI stock. I like McMillan stocks just fine. Just hate seeing quality product (from what I've seen) get bashed with what sounds like total BS.

I'm done with this gossip thread

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
You can't get the popsicle sticks to contour and stay on the outside of the stock without them being in a mold. Do you think the guy went and had a mold made so he could slander doc?

Terry

One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
In an earlier post some one pointed out to go over too 24hrcampfire and read the negative posts there about MPI. I find it kinda of amusing since Mcmillan is a sponsor of that site.

Chris

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you think the guy went and had a mold made so he could slander doc?[/b]

Terry

No, but is always possible he went to his photo software and fabricated the whole picture to support a story that might not be true at all.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
He said it was made by a former employe. He never said it was made in his shop. Could have been built in someones garage.

But as someone else posted.
What difference does it make, if it works. We have been producing laminates for 30 yrs now because there stronger.

The core is there just to form the glass and has nothing to do with the strength.

just my opinion

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
You're right, I'm sure it was either photoshopped or built in someones garage.

Just a conspiracy. I'm sure the synthetic stock business is a dog eat dog world.

Terry

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
ok aside from being made from something you dont like and having the glass sanded off it so you can see that it is made from something you dont like whats the problem. looks to me like some retard sanded all the glass and cloth off the outside of the stock for the picture if it was functional before its fucked now. I have had some very expensive racing boats built from glass over wood and they were very strong. Im not sure what you are on about in this case one assclown on the internet says its made by mpi mpi says its not and tells who it was made buy and that the dude is well known by them and a huge fuckup. ok so who cares. if you own that stock and bought it from mpi send it back and they will replace it for free because their stocks are made from solid glass and cloth and if some jackass employee sent that out you bet they want it back. they would go above and beyond to get all those back if it were theirs. if some guy they fired took what he learned while there and makes knokoffs of their stuff so regularly they can name him from a picture of his work why dont you believe them?

if every one of my stocks from them was made like this and worked like they have for me why woiuld I care but sience I have cut on mpi stocks many times and I have never seen this from them before I dont think its theirs.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
boohoo
If there is any other response needed from me on this thread just start at the top and work your way down. Then read my signature line and you'll know where I stand on the subject.

Terry

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
no big deal it does not bother me if we dont agree. I realy am not haulin mpi water for them just have not had this problem and would be more intrested in a solutin than placing blame if I had. their customer service has been top rate for me hope it is for you if you ever try them.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

RH SA Rem 700 MPI stock converted to LH could find
no popcicles sticks on LH bolt cut.
LH 700 284 that I just fininshed 6# 9 ounces as pictured.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some things certainly do create great controversy, but things usually come out in the wash.

Where are these guys when You need them!