New
Find
Notify
Tools

What lathe for rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What kind and size of lathe should I look for to do rifle barrel work. I have looked at tool maker lathes as well as engine lathes. But I don't know enough about them to make an informed purchase. Can you tell me what to look for? Most rifle barrels are 26" or less. Is it better to find an old american build lathe? or Grizzly? We have build some Kalashnikovs and used emory cloth to get the barrels to fit the components as well as adjustable reamers for the components but I think it is time to get lathe. My son is a machinist but he is working on cnc lathes and mills making parts for Uncle Sam. He does have manual milling experience. He will be the one teaching me. What say you?

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to chamber barrels through the headstock it needs a good sized spindle hole 1-3/8" min. and a short headstock so you can support both ends. That eliminates a lot of older lathes.
Otherwise you have to chamber with a steady rest.

Older American lathes don't cut metric threads without change gears and most are hard to come by.
And anything older is going to have wear and abuse.
Most parts are that are not off the shelf like bearings and seals are unavailable and you have to find used or make your own.

Older import are the same, most parts are not available.

Many lathes were made with unhardened cast iron ways vs flame or induction hardened cast iron ways.
The softies wear out much sooner.
I would definitely look for one with hardened ways.

Good news if you find a high quality lathe in good condition they are well designed and you won't need parts.

Have you been looking at Craigslist for 12-15 in swing lathes?
You really need to find someone with manual lathe experience to help you evaluate a CL gem from a turd.
^Whoa, Prairie, KS you are really out in the boonies and in a used machinery desert.

You are going to have to drive or fly somewhere to find used machinery.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have more interest in doing gun work than in working on machinery, just get the grizzly gunsmithing lathe and start working.

If you enjoy researching old machinery and working on it, buy an old american lathe, and fix it up, and then use it to do gunsmithing.

I have an Atlas 10x54 myself. I've done a fair amount of decent work with it, but if I was to start over today, I'd just buy a decent, new lathe instead.

Old Southbends are probably the best homeowner accessible lathe to buy. Decent parts availability, and decent capability. But, most are old and worn, and take some knowledge/skill to do good work. And, generally need at least some work to get working properly when you get them. If they're 100% functional and tight, and decently tooled, they bring as high or higher prices than a fully tooled Grizzly.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an atlas that I brought when I wasn't making much money. I had to replace the gearing and other parts.

Looking at the grizzly if in could afford it I just buy a new one of those and go to work.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had the Grizzly 14x40 gearhead gunsmith lathe for around eight years now. I was cutting threads the same day it came off the truck here and have used it just about every day since. Very little to complain about. I'm not a machine expert and didn't have the time to be working on an older machine so buying the new imported lathe just made sense.

Posts: 595 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
If I knew then what I know now, i would just have bought the "small" grizzly when it came out
https://www.grizzly.com/produc...mithing-Lathe/G0750G

with taper attachment and a dro --

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, the sad fact is that you are going to have to get a Chinese lathe. Grizzly as suggested above.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizzly or Precision Mathews.

If I had it to do over, I would probably go with the PM, it seems to be a heavier machine for the same size.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought an older Taiwanese made Victor 1340 gear head lathe years ago, love it and would not go any other way. If you are a careful shopper you can often get tooling for little or nothing. I bought a complete shop and sold off what I did not need. The lathe came with two chucks, a 5-C collet closer and full set of collets. My lathe needed very little really. I think I spent about a day going through it, and getting it ready for my shop. YMMV,
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug W:
If you want to chamber barrels through the headstock it needs a good sized spindle hole 1-3/8" min. and a short headstock so you can support both ends. That eliminates a lot of older lathes.
Otherwise you have to chamber with a steady rest.

Praire View is in the boonies... I have since moved to the outskirts of Wichita. With the airline industry here, i'll will find a deal on a lathe sometime. I'm not in a hurry.
Older American lathes don't cut metric threads without change gears and most are hard to come by.
And anything older is going to have wear and abuse.
Most parts are that are not off the shelf like bearings and seals are unavailable and you have to find used or make your own.

Older import are the same, most parts are not available.

Many lathes were made with unhardened cast iron ways vs flame or induction hardened cast iron ways.
The softies wear out much sooner.
I would definitely look for one with hardened ways.

Good news if you find a high quality lathe in good condition they are well designed and you won't need parts.

Have you been looking at Craigslist for 12-15 in swing lathes?
You really need to find someone with manual lathe experience to help you evaluate a CL gem from a turd.
^Whoa, Prairie, KS you are really out in the boonies and in a used machinery desert.

You are going to have to drive or fly somewhere to find used machinery.

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I'll echo the thoughts that newer lathes are nice for chambering through the headstock. I have an older Clausing which is an awesome beast but the headstock is ling and spindle hole on the small side. When I got it I spent some time and effort making repairs. It's bee running string since then (about 13 years now). But I also have an Enco lathe which is pretty much the same as the 12x36 Gunsmith Lathe Grizzly sells, the one Jeff posted a link to.

Since I primarily built custom Mausers with sporting weight/length barrels the Clausing worked well for barreling. I used the Enco mostly for roughing work and contouring barrels so I wouldn't always have to re-indicate my headstock. Now that I am working on more of my own projects and the kids are getting into varmint rifles the Enco is getting more attention. Shorter barrels fit through the headstock. Also, the Enco cuts metric threads.

If were looking at a lathe today, I'd probably place the order for that Grizzly.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Rust:
Praire View is in the boonies... I have since moved to the outskirts of Wichita. With the airline industry here, i'll will find a deal on a lathe sometime. I'm not in a hurry.

That may be difficult, industry hasn't used manual lathes for decades and dumped all that manual machinery forever ago.

Plus gunsmithing lathes 15" or less are on the small side for commercial use.

I looked at the Wichita CL, one old 18 lathe w/o a quick change gear box..... and that is it.
Finding a good used suitable lathe in them parts is going to be tough.

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I would get one that can do metric and US threads.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 12 x 36 Grizzly 15 years ago and it is still working fine, had motor go bad was the only problem I had. I use it almost every day still cuts as good as new. I would like to have one of the newer "gunsmith" lathes that they sell but since this one still works fine I can't talk me into changing.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice shop.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
My brother just came into a 16x6' South Bend. They measure the total length of the lathe.

Anyway, it was heading to the scrap yard, just taking up space in the back of someones garage. He bought it for the scrap price [estimated]. I don't know the exact price but in the 3 to $400 range.

The real cost was upgrading his Static converter to rotary. $600-$700.

Only has a 1.3/8" hole, buy you can work around it.

Keep your eyes and ears open for a used one, or just buy the 12x36 Grizzly.

Edit: His is a 50s model with quick change gears. With one additional gear, he can cut most metric threads!

Practical machinist has a for sale, that is where I bought mine years ago.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OP:

PM me your contact info.
Neighbor just died, had a
real nice lathe about 13-14"
x 40-48" I'm guessing.
I'd bet the grand dau will be
selling his stuff before long.

I could try to make contact and
ask. Whole lot closer than Ore.

About 15 years ago I saw an ad in
the thrifty nickle for a lathe.
Went and looked at it. $1200 with
quite a few tool setup's. They
delivered it and helped put in on
the bench for me. Enco 13x40
almost like the one shown.

I don't do much gun work, I do quite a bit of
general turning though. I have only
turned one barrel so far for a Ruger
Blackhawk. Got the taper within .004"
first try just guessing. Thinking about
turning another one soon for the same kind of
gun.

The lathe is just a start, it's the tooling
that costs!

IF you get one without a base
cabinet, I have the one from this Enco
that's just in my way. It needs a new home.
Real nice condition for $100.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the Precision Matthews 1440 and love it!

Posts: 12 | Location: Sandy Oregon | Registered: 13 October 2018Reply With Quote