New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoothing up a Ruger Magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just received my new Ruger Magnum in 375. While I am aware they are built like tanks....they are a bit rough. I'm looking to get the rails smoothed, feed ramp polished, Timney trigger and new ramp front sight insert...as well as a general slicking up. Who out there is a good 'smith for this task? I have used JJ at Champlins for my double and have been very satisfied....just looking for someone who has done the same thing.
Thanks.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might want to ask on the big bore forum> I think a few guys over there have had that type of work done on the magnum ruger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll do that.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of walksfar
posted Hide Post
With my m77 .458 Lott, I just simply sat, and while watching tv, cycled the action back and forth, and after a while it was pretty smooth.
Oiling ever so often.
Seemed to work pretty goon.
Now, the Ruger action is not exactly as smooth as a true Mauser, due to liberties with the design, but then again, it's still pretty good, and by working it back and forth it should smooth out some, by smoothing any little factory tool cuts.
Just my opinion.

"Faith in God and the Mauser"

DRSS-MEMBER

Posts: 129 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of walksfar
posted Hide Post
Pretty "good", that is. I meant pretty "good".lol

"Faith in God and the Mauser"

DRSS-MEMBER

Posts: 129 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I just use "mother's billet polish" available at most car stores in teh wax/polish area.

On my 470 AR, EVERYONE comments how smooth the action is... and no, I don't use this to lap the lugs.. I don't get any on the lugs, and it's SMOOTH as greased glass bearings

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a Ruger, get your surface grinder fired up. Just take off .003" per pass until you get down to the surface of the magnetic chuck. It will be better than when you started.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Garby: I sent mine to Mark Penrod (Penrod Precision) and for a very modest price, the action's slicker n' whale shit. It feeds EVERYTHING including all the new "guchi" flat points and what-nots. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gents. Jorge....just did a search and found him in Indiana. I might even be able to get one of my clients to deliver it to him via private plane!....he's from Ft. Wayne and he needs to try out that new jet he bought. Thanks.

Gary

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I have all of his info just in case. You'll find him to be very friendly and easy to work with. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just use "mother's billet polish" available at most car stores in teh wax/polish area.

On my 470 AR, EVERYONE comments how smooth the action is

I will vouch for that personally...like butter baby!

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote