New
Find
Notify
Tools

What numnr torx
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The new Rugers have torx screws in the scope rings of an off size I guess..I tried a #10, tooo big, then a #8 to small, are they a #9 if so Idon't have that one, but I ground the 8 since its tapered and got it done, but not very good, can't tighten them enough without stripping..so I used the little L wrench that comes with the gun and that sucks!! but got it done..

So what size torx do I need in a real screw driver? for the new Ruger rings.

So what

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, most likely a torxplus. It's supposed to take more torque, but hard to tell apart from regular torx. It's becoming an irritating problem to find the right bit to fit things.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a reason they issue those little "L" wrenches with the rings. The cap screws are designed to be torqued at around 22 inch pounds. The wrench is designed to inflict pain when that torque is reached. If you torque it over that you risk creasing the scope tube and stretching the screw threads. I've seen many with Torx tips broke off in the screw heads.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been installing scopes for so many years, using normal screws, and have never damaged a scope!

The problem is they try to find a solution for a problem created by an idiot, and we all have to suffer.

The number of times I was brought scopes scopes which have been destroyed by idiots trying to move the reticle beyond its stop is unbelievable!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssdave:
Ray, most likely a torxplus. It's supposed to take more torque, but hard to tell apart from regular torx. It's becoming an irritating problem to find the right bit to fit things.

Hey, I hadn't heard of that ..

https://www.pemnet.com/design_info/torx/

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I want to be the one to determine how torkish I be!! not some monkey bean counter with a should be neat design...and it takes forever to mount a scope with friggen little L shaped piece of soft metal....so I found a source for a set of steel screw driver Torx heads with small handles that help those that change scoped way too often and they are working like a charm, if I ever bend a scope tube you can have a free shot at my chin, but don't hold your breath! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote