Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield 03 & 03A3 actions question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
for memorial day I dug my 03 and 03A3 out of the safe, and took them to the range to honor the fallen with a few rounds downrange..

I hadn't shot either of them in 10+ years, and I had forgotten how smooth and slick the actions on 03 rifles were.

As a result, I think I'll start looking for an older sporterized Springfield for a rebuild into something more up to date..

so have a couple questions..

Is the action long enough and strong for a 300 H&H or 300 Win mag? How much tweaking of the feed rails would be needed?
and can anyone comment on the lock time of a springfield?

thanks!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen 300 Win and other belted mags of its kind, don't think you'll find the parts for H&H.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No on the H&H without major receiver milling and mag box alteration; not a good platform for H&H mags.
Lock time is the slowest of all bolt actions. Most of them anyway.
300 Win can be squeezed in one with some receiver milling.
Lock time is 6.5 ms on the 03 and up to 7.6ms on A3s. For comparison the Rem 700s are about 2.6ms. Win 70s are 3.0ms. Mausers are about 5, depending...
Remember, when we ripped off the 93 Mauser design from Mauser, all the changes we made, made it worse. And we still had to pay royalties to Mauser after all.
There are better options.....

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
I have a Smith Corona 03-A3 that is .416 Taylor right now. Only opened the bolt face for the Mag head, reshaped the extractor and tweaked the feed rails. Carries 3+1 handily and I could maybe get 4+1 if I reshaped the follower. Zero feeding issues, even fast. It eats 400gr TSX's and Solids as well as Partitions. I load to 2250 fps because it's comfy to shoot. I agree the H&H would be a poor choice, but anything 3.3" should be fair game.

Edit to add: There are Speedlock kits available for the 03 and A3's, but don't expect much improvement. Heavy spring and light trigger plus a bunch of honing and a few reshaping tricks will still only get you to about 4.5ms. Still my favorite rifle...nostalgic, what can I say?!?

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ive got a gorgeous 03a3 in .458 x 2.... dunno who did it .. but beulher bases, birdeye stock.. fantastic !!..

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have 03's in
257 roberts
257 jls 25x300wsm (rebarrel to 416 accrel)
7x57 (sold.. stupid jeffe)
30-06
300 win .. cheapest rifle i own, less than $100 in the metal and stock,$45 for re-chamber, bolt face, feed.. and a great round for it
375x338 (sold, again, stupid jeffe)
416 accrel

butter smooth, can use mauser bottom metal with a little work

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have 1903s and 1903A3s in Cal .30, cal .30, cal .30;, etc; you get the picture.
03 Springfields are just a misguided attempt to be a Mauser.
Here is a list of Mauser features we changed in order to avoid a patent suit; which we lost anyway, part of it was the clip slot patent infringement.
1. Two piece firing pin to allow easy replacement; self fulfilling design; promotes breakage at the joint.
2. Cone breech; much more cartridge case exposed.
3. Cone breech/extractor slot; makes barrels harder to fit and requires timed replacements.
4. Added safety lug; in the worst possible place and making a very thin bridge top and short extractor; unsupported at the rear.
5. Cock on opening; OK, Americans like that one.
6. Cocking piece; finger knob adds weight.
7. Springless ejector; that actually works well.
8. Magazine cut off; useless idea; they forgot they had clip magazine loading.
9. Add to that; poor heat treatment of early Springfields and Rock Islands makes about a million of them unsafe.
Not that I don't like them; just some facts.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Springfield sporter in .375/.338 (.375 Taylor), stocked by the late Hal Hartley. It, and my other Hartley stocked rifles are on consignment with Ken Pendleton (Pendleton Firearms).

There are also a custom 7mm Remington Magnum and a .458 Winchester Magnum among them.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
My Springfield sporter in .375/.338 (.375 Taylor), stocked by the late Hal Hartley. It, and my other Hartley stocked rifles are on consignment with Ken Pendleton (Pendleton Firearms).

There are also a custom 7mm Remington Magnum and a .458 Winchester Magnum among them.

Nice rifle and cartridge.

Just curious, why is there such a difference between an English forend and an American one? I'd love to know what sent the builders in such opposite directions...

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback... I'm taking all this as a "NO".

Although f I find one someone else already did, i may pick it up.

thanks for all the feedback!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have 1903s and 1903A3s in Cal .30, cal .30, cal .30;, etc; you get the picture.
03 Springfields are just a misguided attempt to be a Mauser.
Here is a list of Mauser features we changed in order to avoid a patent suit; which we lost anyway, part of it was the clip slot patent infringement.
1. Two piece firing pin to allow easy replacement; self fulfilling design; promotes breakage at the joint.
2. Cone breech; much more cartridge case exposed.
3. Cone breech/extractor slot; makes barrels harder to fit and requires timed replacements.
4. Added safety lug; in the worst possible place and making a very thin bridge top and short extractor; unsupported at the rear.
5. Cock on opening; OK, Americans like that one.
6. Cocking piece; finger knob adds weight.
7. Springless ejector; that actually works well.
8. Magazine cut off; useless idea; they forgot they had clip magazine loading.
9. Add to that; poor heat treatment of early Springfields and Rock Islands makes about a million of them unsafe.
Not that I don't like them; just some facts.

and lots of people buy pre-64 model 70s as if they are works of art ...

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
No on the H&H without major receiver milling and mag box alteration; not a good platform for H&H mags.
Lock time is the slowest of all bolt actions. Most of them anyway.
300 Win can be squeezed in one with some receiver milling.
Lock time is 6.5 ms on the 03 and up to 7.6ms on A3s. For comparison the Rem 700s are about 2.6ms. Win 70s are 3.0ms. Mausers are about 5, depending...
Remember, when we ripped off the 93 Mauser design from Mauser, all the changes we made, made it worse. And we still had to pay royalties to Mauser after all.
There are better options.....

Yep, I tried a heavier firing pin spring to decrease the lock time. Just made it harder to open the bolt. Should have left it alone.

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead Eye:
Yep, I tried a heavier firing pin spring to decrease the lock time. Just made it harder to open the bolt. Should have left it alone.

+1 ..

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a fact that "we" lost the law suit, but have read that we did not pay any money to Mauser for after all, we won the war!! Is that true, don't know but have read such.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After the War Mauser was paid.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote