New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ackleys and Mausers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does the decreased body taper and increased shoulder angle on the AI rounds (specificaly 257 Ackley or 7x57 Ackley) necessitate feed rail and/or follower modifications when using a 98 Mauser action?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Yes, very much so. I am "wrestling" with this now.

It probably wouldn't be a problem to some, but I insist on absolute reliability.

I have had some limited sucess with a few "tricks", but I am still "tinkering".

I seem to have the most problem with the first round from a full magazine. The reduced taper makes the cartridge head "float", that is, it is not pushed up against the feed rails as positively as the shoulder section. Sometimes, the bolt rides over the first round without stripping it out of the magazine.

All subsequent (did I spell that right?) rounds feed reliably, it is just that first one that is iffy.

This is with an 8mm-06 A.I. You may or may not have the same problem with 7X57 variants.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on the specific action/cartridge combination.

I have a 257 AI on a M-98 action and it has had no feed box alteration whatsoever and feeds flawlessly.

Build it and then address nessecary alterations.

Posts: 10172 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I had a Brno ZG originally a 30-06 which was rebarreled in 280AI. It functioned flawlessly w/o rail or ramp work.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right now I have a 1904 Portuguese magazine that has been widened @ the shoulder area per the Mauser formula ( .866 x dia. + dia.) seems to have done the trick without feed rail mods. This is in a K98 that was WWII issue 8x57.

With the original 8x57 magazine that was merely lengthened (to the rear) to 3.38", I was getting the "first round feed" problem. The 1904 mag has been lengthened and widened, but widened only @ the shoulder area. I took out .012" to a side, tapering to .000" @ the rear, leaving the rear as is.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
wildcat junkie,

On those 1904 boxs, do you notice any tendancy to hang up due to that divot/bevel on the front edge of the mag box. I've only glanced at one of these and I have a buddy that wants to use one on his project. it seems that this would not sit flush with the feed ramp. Not having been able to handle on my concern is that the bullet nose may hang up?

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have a 1910 Mexican Mauser rebarrelled and sporterized to 257 Robt. Ack and it feeds flawlessly.
I also have a 1909 Argentine action barrelled in 280 Ack. Imp. and it feeds flawlessly also, the only drawback with it is that I have to seat the bullets a little deeper than I like to function through the magazine.

Steve E.......

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
z1r;

I had the front milled out as far as the floorplate would cover and then took a little off the back of the feed ramp.

I had the same concern as you.

Magazine I.D. length is now 3.395".

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I did a 22-250AI on a VZ-24 and it feeds effortlessly without any modifications to the rails.

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craigster,
I have a 22/250 Ackley Improved built on a 1908 Brazilian action. No alterations of any kind and no problems either.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote