New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vanguard and Howa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Should I buy a vanguard or a howa. i know that both rifles are made by howa but is the weatherby version better

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I never felt they were. Some say the better ones are now going to Wby for their MOA. I'm sure you will hear it both ways.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
The Vanguard and the Howa 1500 are almost exactly alike. The Weatherby has a "fluted" bolt and maybe one or two very minor differences that don't amount to anything. If the Howas is cheaper than the Vanguard, buy it or vice versa. As ramrod340 said, the Vanguard MOA is guaranteed to shoot sub-MOA but the nearly twice the price doesn't make them worth it in my opinion, although I think they have an H-S Precision stock on them. I bought my Vanguard at "Wally World" for $400 out the door. It is not materially different than my son's Howa.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Go with the Howa & you have a fwe extra bucks to spend on extras.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Masterifleman:
The Vanguard and the Howa 1500 are almost exactly alike. the Vanguard MOA is guaranteed to shoot sub-MOA but the nearly twice the price doesn't make them worth it in my opinion, although I think they have an H-S Precision stock on them.

This rumor of H-S Precision persists.
I believe the MOAs have a Bell & Carlson stock, like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=919712

except without the full aluminum bedding block.

So you could buy a Howa barreled action and this stock from Midway.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote