New
Find
Notify
Tools

locked-up action screw
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
my actual full length bedding job in the barrel channel along with the recoil lug worked marvelously. Pretty nice to admire your first work.

Got to thinking late last night about doing the rear tang area, deliberated for some 30 minutes or so and decided why not. Prepped the contact areas with carnuba wax along with the receiver bolt real good. Mixed up the Marine-Tex and worked it down into the receiver bolt hole and along side the tang area.

Got up this morning and went to see how it looks. Took out the front 2 screws, no problem, the rear screw did not even move. Thought I was still half asleep so I tried again with the screwdriver-did not give. Shocked.

If I take a bolt of the same size head that is in the receiver and heat that bolt red hot and lay it on the head of the locked up one that should transfer the heat down into the bolt and soften up the epoxy-right. Anyone here experienced releasing a bolt with Marine-Tex?

Any ideas would help. Rookie experience I know.

thanks

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Which action is this? the end result can be the same, but an exposed screw is easier than not...

do you have a soldering iron? if the screw is exposed (like a mauser rear) you can heat the screw itself (some heat will migrate) get it HOT, let it 5 mins, hot, 5, etc, and then back the screw out after 10-15 mins...

if you have to do this from the screw head, it will take longer, but the same thing will happen...

what you are trying to do it make the screw hot to melt the epoxy.

careful not to get too agressive with the screw, as this is an easy place to mess up a screwhead

if you have the waste epoxy leftover, you can tough it with the iron to see what happens

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Soldering iron works every time. Not saying I ever had to use one. Roll Eyes I use a sholding gun. Has a smaller tip than my iron and cools down faster. OOPS That is if I ever had to use it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Soldering iron works every time. Not saying I ever had to use one. Roll Eyes

jumping
Yeah, i forgot to say that!!!
jumping

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep, I didn't panic but you can sure the shock on my face when I realized the miss-hap.

Dug out a hardly used if ever impact screwdriver and worked the width to fit the slot and it did not require much effort at all-much to my delight! I failed to get some of the factory lock tite out of the threads last night so I was hoping that if I was liberal with the wax it should be alright.

This tinkering stuff is pretty neat.

thanks

by the way it is the Win. Model 70 Featherweight Classic CRF .338-06 and it is now finally completed-took quite some time apprehensivly I might add. Now for the break in of the super match barrel.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes its better to be lucky than good. Had the same thing happen to a Parker Shotgun that a "Friend" was going to fix the stock on. He had broken the stock and did not tell me about it. Thought lass bedding was the way to repain the crack. Glued the tang screw tigh as Dick's hatband. Unfortunatly he screwed up the screw slot, drilled out the head, scratched the tang and then found out that he could not find another screw to match the engraving. Stock is fixed OK, (not great) just not on the gun. I did not find out about it until I finally picked it up from him. Also there was a "small dint in the barrel where he had dropped it on gravel when he brok the stock. Please don't ask how he got his hands on the Parker. It had to do with my mother and brother and a hunting trip that cost me a lot even though I was not there.
(Hanging my head in disgust)
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Grizz...not a problem to fix it up. Get you a "sacrificial" screwdriver and put the blade in the stuck screw. Get your propane torch and heat the shank of the screwdriver and hold it there for however long it takes to soften the Marine Tex and you will be able to back the screw out. By heating the shank, you dont burn up the stock...you are just applying heat to the screw...get it? I like the old wooded handled screwdrivers cause it will melt the plastic handeled ones.

Two observations:

1) good job choosing Marine Tex...best stuff there is.

2) Get rid of the #@!*^ carnuba wax!!!! It is not a release agent as you found out. Use Brownells Acra Release next time...there will be no more problems.

Best of luck...let us know how it turns out.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote