New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 x ?? Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Picked up a Husqvarna mauser action rifle. The action appears to be a commercial FN action. The barrel is an unmarked barrel that appears to be almost new. It is 9.3 (.366 cal).Tried chambering a 1-fired 9.3x62 case and the bolt would not fully close. Re-sized the case and the bolt would close with some resistance. Tried a light load and was quite surprised to see what the fire-formed case looked like. The shoulder moved forward approx. 4 mm. It appears that someone tried to make a chamber similar to the 9.3x66 or 370 sako by running a std 9.3x 62 reamer in about 4mm deeper than normal. The shoulder would still be a few thou smaller than the actual 9.3x66 dimensions. So now I have a nice mauser with a messed up chamber. I could set the barrel back and re-chamber to 9.3x62. or I could try to find a 9.3x66 reamer and brass and dies and open up the magazine......... ?? Any suggestions? Anyone have a 9.3x66 reamer they want to part with ? and dies? Any other suggestions to clean up this mess?

Posts: 2438 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9,3 x 57 ???

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
9.3X64 Brenneke? That would have expanded as well as it is slightly thicker.

The 57 case is a lot shorter

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11023 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some WWII GI may have brought a 9,3x62 back and had some blacksmith try and make it a 9,3x06...?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No it is not a 9.3x64. It is a 9.3x62 with a butchered (or blacksmithed) chamber. The shoulder on chamber has been moved forward approx. 4mm. Kind of like a Brown Whelan cartridge or the newer 9.3x66. would like to clean up that chamber (if possible).Just setting the barrel back that 4mm will leave an ugly gap between the barrel and stock just forward of the chamber. I think Rich is correct that Bubba was working on this rifle. Even re-chambering to 9.3x64 would not clean up the shoulder area without setting the barrel back. The 9.3x66 was the only option I could think of,but that is not readily available brass. Any other suggestions to clean this thing up short of re-barreling ?? Maybe a wildcat on a 300 Win case?? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 2438 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would re-barrel it in 9.3x62, the overall most practical of the 9.3s.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I would see if i could set it back for a 9.3x62. Why jack with something else.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Then you have the huge inletting gap; OP can't live with that.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Possible .375 Hawk/Scoville which is reported to be based on the 9.3X62 case. If so, cool wildcat. Might be some new brass available. Sorry, couldn't find any exact case dimensions.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6521043/m/1091030202

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5188 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Can't rebore a 9.3 to .375 as the bore is already .366; reamer won't clean up the bore. (.375 bore diameter is .366)

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Man, gettin' old. Thanks dpcd.

Posts: 5188 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
9.3X66 = 370 Sako maybe?
Some good graphics here.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...6_370_Sako_Load_data

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Here is what the difference looks like between the 62 and 66.

Problem with cutting deeper with a 62 is the body taper at the head.

Remember the 66 was designed for an OAL of 3.34. That drawing was to show how much net capacity you gain by going to 3.58"

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Measured up the case that I fireformed and compared those dimensions to the 9.3x66 or 370 whatever you prefer. The 9.3x66 reamer should clean up the chamber nicely. Now to find a reamer and some reloading dies. Anyone have a x66 reamer they want to sell and a set of dies?? Talked to an old gunsmith friend and gave him my measurements and he thinks it was a custom made reamer to clean up and old 9.3x57 chamber. Why they didn't just go to the 9.3x62 is anyones guess. If I can't find a 9.3x66 reamer the second choice is to set the barrel back and re-chamber to the 9.3x62 and re-stock the rifle.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
4D has the reamer.
http://4-dproducts.com/display...wid=401&tname=rental

RCBS makes the dies.
http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...die-set-93x66mm-sako

Quality has the brass
http://www.qual-cart.com/366%20cal.htm

Federal and others loads ammo as the 370 Sako.

So Have fun.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I would simply fireform some cases from 9.3x62 brass, name it whatever, have a set of dies made from 3 fireformed cases and load her up and go hunting, should be a dandy wildcat on the order of a Gibbs..Should get 9.3x64 ballistics, sounds like what someone else had in mind..Might even use 30-06 brass..May be a 9.3 Gibbs?? who knows..Take a chamber cast before you do anything. If you have enough neck left then it should be workable and cost you much less than your other options..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42005 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray I had thought of that only the neck that is left is only about 3 mm long. Not long enough to hold a bullet under recoil. So that could be an issue. If I had a supply of cylindrical 06 brass that is a little longer this may have been an option.
This fireformed case is smaller in diameter than the 9.3x62 at the shoulder so even with the shoulder moved forward capacity is approx. the same as the 9.3x62. A 9.3x64 it is not. I have found a supply of Sako cases and a set of dies. As mentioned 4D has a reamer so a 9.3x66 it will be.
Thanks again for all the input.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I had a supply of cylindrical 06 brass that is a little longer this may have been an option.

I bought mine from Z-hat. Two years ago bought the last he had. AHR sells a Howell cylinder brass that is about 2.65"+.

Where did you find Sako brass?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Found some 9.3x66 brass.Found a set of dies. Ordered a 9.3x66 reamer that will be delivered in Feb..I hope. So in the meantime I decided to take Ray's advice and shoot the dam thing the way it is. It is like a 9.3x57 extended to 63 mm long.Necked up a couple boxes of 30-06 cases to 375 then sized them down so there was some resistance when I closed the bolt. They fireform OK and I end up with a case with the same capacity as a 9.3x62 case. Tried some 270 gr Speer bullets in the fireforming loads and found 3 shots touching @ 50 yds. Hoping to get back to the range to shoot some loads @ 100yds but the weatherman isn't co-operating. Between -30 deg weather and a couple snow storms I'm stuck in the house.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have approaching 2000 .30-06 basic cases that as I remember are 2.56 inches long. I had Marc Jamison pull them off the line before forming to other cases, when they were still cylindrical. I'd be willing to sell some of them, might take me a bit of time to locate them, they're packed away in storage and it's too cold to dig in it now.

Posts: 1104 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowman, I may have a similar rifle. I bought what I thought was a 9.3x57 some years back, chamber is actually a 9.3x60, going by fireformed brass. I just make mine from 06 cases. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan Thanks for the input. No it is not a 9.3x60. I have an 8x60S and the shoulder on the 8x60 case is at least 1/4 inch shorter than the shoulder on this 9.3 cartridge. I have necked up some 30-06 cases to 375 and then reduced them in my 9.3x62 dies and fireformed them. The fireformed cases have the same capacity as a 9.3x62 case only with a smaller diam shoulder and the shoulder is moved forward. Some light 9.3 x62 load data has proved to be very accurate with 270 gr Speer bullets. Whether there is enough neck to hold the bullets in the case with full power loads remains to be seen. I was planning on re-chambering to a 9.3x66 and have ordered a reamer. That will clean up the chamber but a longer magazine would make better use of the longer x66 case so I think I'm going to build the 9.3x66 on a Rem 700 action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like an interesting 9.3, certainly take care of anything that walks out MB way. Good luck with it, hope it turns out well. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think under those circumstances you could set the barrel back enough and run a 9.3x62 chamber reamer in it and have a standard 9.3x62 and that would be cheaper than having to buy custom dies etc...Then again I might be inclined to just rebarrel the gun.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42005 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray if I set the barrel back almost a 1/4 inch so the barrel could be re-chambered to 9.3x62 that stock will look like crap with a 1/4 gap. It would make more sense to simply re-chamber to the 9.3x66. I've fireformed 2 boxes of 06 brass and can neck size the brass with either my 9.3x62 dies or my 9.3x64 dies and a couple small spacers. This thing is shooting 270 gr Speer bullets into an inch @ 100yds with fireforming loads. I really don't want to get rid of this barrel. I think I'm going with your first bit of advice......I'm going to shoot it as is without a set of custom dies.If the short neck becomes an issue and will not hold the bullets under recoil I think it will get re-chambered to 9.3x66 or 370 Sako mag whatever you prefer to call it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a reamer in 9.3x66 from Dave Manson in early Dec. It showed up right on time. By the time I had received it I had fireformed several boxes of 30-06 brass to this short necked 9.3 cal wildcat. I'm taking Ray's original advice and I'm going to shoot it as is. Its just a funny shaped 9.3x62 ballistically. Fireforming loads were grouping around 1 inch and I have since found that 61 grs of Imr 4350 under the 270 gr Speer bullets will group into 3/4 inch @ 100 yds for 3 shots.That load is lightly compressed. Maybe not the best load but that slight compression seems to support the bullet with that short neck.I have also tried some 232 gr Norma bullets but the best they will do is about 2 1/2 in groups so I guess we stick with the 270's. I think I will introduce one of them to a black bear this spring.After I had ordered the 9.3x66 reamer I thought that rechambering the mauser for that 66mm long case would result in bullets being seated quite deep and compromise powder capacity, to the point it really would offer nothing over the 9.3x62. So a Rem 700 action that I had laying around got the new 9.3cal barrel. Sent the action, barrel and reamer to my gunsmith. My new barreled action in 9.3x66 arrived in the mail today. Hope to get the barreled action glass bedded tomorrow and get back to the range .

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 9.3 x 66 brass. Bought some from Sako, and bought some from Reimer Johannsen. Wasn't too bad.

You can get 370 Sako Magnum brass from Federal. That is the new name for the cartridge. I have some loads. It is a great moose cartridge.
There are 9.3 Partition bullets on sale at shooters pro shop at $25.00 for 50 count.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would appreciate any 9.3x66 data you could share. Post it here or shoot me a PM. Do you have a Sako rifle in this caliber or did you build a rifle ? Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako 30-06. I had Jim Kobe make me a second barrel in 9.3x66 Sako.

I use VV powder to duplicate factory loads.

The Partition and Swift A frame bullets are the best on large game.

The 250-Grain Accubond is a great deer, antelope, close range Elk load.

It will take me a week or two, but I will find a copy of the data. It is on a mass storage device that I have to figure how to work with my new computer.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want more neck length, you might try forming from 270 brass instead of 30-06. It has a longer neck. Don't know if it will work, but it is a thought.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.johannsen-shop.de/...uelsen?ab_artikel=18

The above is a link to Reimer Johannsen. 9.3x66 Sako brass is 76.5 Euros for a 50 count bag. I have bought from them four times in the past, always via bank to bank transfers. Surprisingly quick to my door. If you anneal this brass, it will last you twenty reloadings. Get two bags (100 count) and you have 2,000 shots, less the seven cases you lose on big hunts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako brand 9.3x66 brass is 76.5 Euros for fifty cases.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found a dealer here in Canada that had 9.3x66 brass and picked up most of it,so I am good for brass for the 9.3x66.