THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What are your accuracy expectations for a barreling job?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are your accuracy expectations for a barreling job?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In another thread a forum member commented that he had always had good luck with accuracy after rebarreling jobs and he hoped that if a problem ever occurred the gunsmith and barrel makers would be reasonable about it. This comment piqued my interest . There is absolutely NO wrong answer to any of this. I am just always curious about people's expectations and opinions. I really mean that - one answer is just as good as another, as long as you are honestly saying what you feel.

Oh, I would only like to hear from folks who have had at least one action rebarreled. While I do appreciate that everyone can have heartfelt theories and sincere feelings about the way they would do things and the way things should be, but in this thread I am looking for feedback from folks who have actually contracted to have this work done.

I am interested to hear:

- approximately how many barreling jobs have you commissioned
- who usually does your barreling
- what it costs
- what you expect to be done to the action, barrel, an/rifle for that price
- what brand barrel do you usually use
- what do you consider an acceptable accuracy range (will be different for different caliber and rifle styles, of course)
- what would you expect the metalsmith and barrel maker to do if the accuracy was not to your liking
- do you/have you ever discussed an accuracy range with the maker before the job was accepted

Finally, given that 3 things most key to accuracy are scope/mount system, ammunition, and the DATP (dumb ass trigger puller), how much responsibility do you feel that you have? BTW - I lumped rests, bench, wind flags, etc. in the DATP category. All are important and are the onus of the end user in their quest for small groups.

Again, there are absolutely no wrong or bad answers. I am just interested in clients’ expectations and feelings.

Thanks!

Skunk

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be a smart ass, but to answer the question posed in your title:

Good enough to make the client happy.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
By inserting the DATP the equation is corrupt. Removing that infinte variable the bullet should go where the shooter expects it to go...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote