New
Find
Notify
Tools

** IVORY- HOW TO STAIN IT SAFELY**
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I understand from reading that it is very hydroscopic or water absorbent and will have a tendency to crack when drying. I have some painfully white Colt factory ivory 1911 grips that I wish had a bit more character to them., Was thinking of using espresso grounds or tea etc. Have any of you dome it successfully without cracking or warping them. Would appreciate your experiences. Thank you

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
redman?levi garrett?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Strong tea, will take a while but works and is the traditional method.
~Arctic~

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh,people pay a PREMIUM for pure white Elephant IVORY????????????If you want character,buy some Mammoth Bark Ivory and have some made. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, you call yourself a bubba? You know the only chawing tobaky is Cannon Ball Plug.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
coffee or the tea alreayd mentioned. Coffee will get it darker if the piece you are working with will not turn the right color with the tea. Or just use the coffee and pull it out when you like the color. Let it dry for a week and look at it again. If it needs more color, put it back in whatever coloring agent you were using.

BTW-have the ivory and coffee or tea at room temperature

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote