New
Find
Notify
Tools

Machinists : Can this be done?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Had an idea of turning a 3-in-1 machine into a makeshift surface grinder. By mounting the grinding wheel on the mill spindle(might need extension to reach down), with work piece clamped on a vertical mounting jig on the lathe carriage, X-axis movement locked, work done by moving Y-axis and lowering(micro-feed) the mill shaft to cover all surface that need to be worked. Mill rotation is reversed so the grinding dust and mist is not thrown to the operator's side.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
usually grinding operations are done with high rpms(3000)...you would need to dress the wheel, with a diamond after it was mounted....most grinding machines I have seen have good guards to protect the operator from an expoding wheel.....if something catches or the wheel busts...you will be open to the debris. what dia wheel are you thinking about?.....bob

Posts: 125 | Location: ct | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you reverse the spindle direction be sure to use a L.H. thread to hold the wheel in place. Most grinding machines move the part, relative to the wheel in "feet per second" instead of "inches per minute". Good luck, report back with your findings.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Pyro---

I see a bad wreck in your future. I wouldn't do it. A little wheel chatter on a flimsy spindle will make a big shop real crowded when the wheel comes apart.