New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! Remington Model 12 extraction.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have two of these little rifles in the shop that are having the same issue: failure to extract a fired case. One was a total restoration, except the bore and chamber were good so I didn't touch that. When it was brought in initially, it had a broken firing pin, once I fixed that, it worked ok, but like lots of these, the cartridge would angle a little too much to the left and hang up on the edge of the chamber. I replaced the extractor, and it cycles shells like there's no tomorrow. Until you fire one, then the extractor doesn't seem to be engaged, unless you shut the bolt again, then it will pull out the spent case. The other one I have I had to replace the chamber, when I got it it wouldn't lock up and the new "chamber" didn't look like it was supposed to. I sleeved the breach end, reamed and headspaced, then lightly polished a new chamber. Now it loads, and fires great, but no extraction on spent rounds. I personally own two of these rifles and they are slick on fired or unfired cases, so I'm thinking of swaping some of the parts off my personal guns to isolate this problem. Any ideas would really be appreciated.

Mark

Posts: 50 | Location: Corrales, NM | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When a rimfire comes in because it won't extract a fired case, the first place I always look is the mouth of the chamber. Dry firing a "rimfire" will sometimes leave a "ding" at the mouth of the chamber that isn't apparent until the case expands and gets stuck behind it. It can also break firing pins. I would iron the chamber just to be sure.

Next, you may have too much chamber material protruding on the one you religned which could be keeping the extractor from getting close enough to grab the case head. Look at where the back end of the chamber meets the tapered breech portion of the barrel and see if there isn't a little shelf or a little extra metal present that needs to be removed to allow the extractor to fully grab the case head. Place a round in the chamber and see how much clearance you have around the rim.

Good luck.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Malm, I will take a look at the inside of the one chambe and at the breech of the other. I spent a bunch of time with prusian blue and a tiny file trying to make sure I had enough material removed. The model 12's take a real beating from dry firing. I will look again at the things you have mentioned. Could a weak extractor spring cause this type of issue?

Posts: 50 | Location: Corrales, NM | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote