Find
Notify
Tools

Gander Mt. Gunsmiths?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
I am wondering how Gander Mt. is as far as there gunsmiths. I have been toying around with the idea of rebarreling one of my 30/06 to 25/06 and have been getting prices from Hart and Shilen from $625-$700 Gander Mountains price is $450.00 total price to rebarrel my Ruger 77 with a 26" stainless Douglas Premium XX barrel What do you guys think i dont mind spending the extra money but would this douglas barrel through Gander Mt. be a good way to go. Thanks Tanoose

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Gander Mt smith's are all independently hired. There's no way to to globally comment

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Gander Mt smith's are all independently hired. There's no way to to globally comment

jeffe

All their major rifle work (barrel jobs etc) is done at their Kenosha location where their main gunsmith shop is. I've had them do work before and don't really have any complaints.

I'd think twice about a Douglas barrel. I've had two pretty bad ones in the last few years. I'm done with Douglas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose
I won't buy anything firearm related at my local Gander Mtn. Cloths and accys I would buy from them. They will not let you dry fire or cock a new or used gun until you are out of there store, and paid for.
Hart has done wonderful work for me in the past.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a bad experience with Gander Gunsmith ! Pay the extra money and have a compitent person do the work !

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have been doing my barrel work for over twenty years without a single complaint!

http://www.itdcustomgun.com/

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3x62:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

jeffe

All their major rifle work (barrel jobs etc) is done at their Kenosha location where their main gunsmith shop is. I've had them do work before and don't really have any complaints.

I'd think twice about a Douglas barrel. I've had two pretty bad ones in the last few years. I'm done with Douglas.

If you had two bad Douglas barrels....it was
your gunsmith's fault!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Slater:

http://www.itdcustomgun.com/

Here's a second recommendation for Dave at I.T. & D. in Ohio.

Real nice guy, fine work, and pretty much unbeatable prices.

I'm getting ready to send another barrelled action to him for a bead blast & blue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna rush to the defense of Douglas also. My two latest rebarrels using Douglas was last summer. They clean up quick and shoot like a house afire. I THINK that Douglas can do the whole package for you. Why not check their prices.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the one i know i wouldn't have refinish a daisy

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:

your gunsmith's fault!

WRONG!

These two barrels fouled so badly you would not believe it; 10-12 shots, and they would be pushing the bluest patches you've ever seen. I ran TWO Tubbs treatments through both of them before they were finally tolerably smooth. Even then, they fouled about like a factory barrel, maybe still a touch worse. Accuracy improved as the bores got smoother.

Usually the smith is the problem, but not in these cases!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pac-Nor will do it for that money and they stand behind their stuff. They are great to work with. Weaver Rifles does fantastic work. $160 for a rebarrel plus what ever the barrel costs. That includes facing the action and lapping the lugs. I saved over 50 bucks getting a Hart barrel from Midway versus getting it from them. I had it in about 4 weeks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

your gunsmith's fault!

WRONG!

These two barrels fouled so badly you would not believe it; 10-12 shots, and they would be pushing the bluest patches you've ever seen. I ran TWO Tubbs treatments through both of them before they were finally tolerably smooth. Even then, they fouled about like a factory barrel, maybe still a touch worse. Accuracy improved as the bores got smoother.

Usually the smith is the problem, but not in these cases!

http://www.benchrest.com/douglas/

I'm NOT buying it! There are several reasons a
good barrel can be ruined by the smith, including poor contouring practices.

It's gonna take more info than you provided.
Ever hear of an air-gage?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blueprinted:
Pac-Nor will do it for that money and they stand behind their stuff. They are great to work with. Weaver Rifles does fantastic work. $160 for a rebarrel plus what ever the barrel costs. That includes facing the action and lapping the lugs. I saved over 50 bucks getting a Hart barrel from Midway versus getting it from them. I had it in about 4 weeks.

No problems with Pac-Nor either. Good barrels and good workmanship. Dave at I.T.&D. will use a Pac-Nor barrel if that is what you want. He
will provide ANY barrel from ANY maker.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
the one i know i wouldn't have refinish a daisy

I'm assuming you mean Gander Mountain, Butch?
Cause Dave is one of the nicest guys I know!

<9.3x62>
posted
quote:

Barrels were both XX air-gauged CM. One a 6.5mm FW contour (contoured by Douglas) and a #3 7mm barrel (also contoured by Douglas).

Upon smoothing the bore, both rifles had marked accuracy improvements. Barrels were installed by different smiths as well.

Blindly worship Duuglas if you like, I know better. While I've had plenty of good Douglas barrels, these two soured me on Douglas. I'll stick with Pac-nor, Lilja, Hart, and Krieger, as none of them has ever sent me a crappy barrel.

Air gauging is not a panacea either, BTW....

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Another vote for PAC-NOR. Their barrels are very good and their smithing matches the barrels.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote Krieger. When I recently toured the Colorado School of Trades in Lakewood, their job board included job posts by Gander Mountain.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
How, specifically, were they "bad"?

Read the whoel thread, I've already explained it...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a number of gunsmith ads in the Varmint Hunter magazine that comes out every quarter. Surely they can't all be bad.
We have a new Gander Mt in our neck of the woods and the gunsmith just joined our gun club but I don't know any thing about their work or if the do the work in house.

Larry

Posts: 75 | Location: Ashdown, Ar | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
What would you guys do i made a call to Douglas and they will do the complete job for $493.00 I would think for $70.00 going with douglas would be the way to go. What do you think?

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Thats actualy only $43 dollars more then Gander wants to charge me.

<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Tanoose:
What would you guys do i made a call to Douglas and they will do the complete job for $493.00 I would think for $70.00 going with douglas would be the way to go. What do you think?

I presume you are going with a SS barrel? If you go CM, I don't think Douglas does bluing, but I may be remebering wrong...

Ask them if they sqaure the action, lap the lugs, and true the bolt face as part of their install fee. Also, IIRC, Douglas will not touch your feed rails, but you shouldn't need any feed work going from 30-06 to 25-06.

You could look into Pac-Nor. They also have install services that will be a bit more than GM and Douglas, but less than Shilen or Hart. I know pac-nors install feed includes some of the action work mentioend above...

www.pac-nor.com

Good luck with your project...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Barrels were both XX air-gauged CM. One a 6.5mm FW contour (contoured by Douglas) and a #3 7mm barrel (also contoured by Douglas).

Upon smoothing the bore, both rifles had marked accuracy improvements. Barrels were installed by different smiths as well.

Blindly worship Duuglas if you like, I know better. While I've had plenty of good Douglas barrels, these two soured me on Douglas. I'll stick with Pac-nor, Lilja, Hart, and Krieger, as none of them has ever sent me a crappy barrel.

Air gauging is not a panacea either, BTW....

OK! OK! I appologize! I like Pac-Nor and
Krieger too! beer