New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope mounting problems on Mod. 70 receivers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just discovered I need to shim the rear base .030" to level the rings on my Mod 70 stainless classic(using the leupold dual dovetail mounts). Is this a common problem with the winchester actions, or am I just one of the unlucky ones?

Posts: 49 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
It seems to be more common in the last two-three years.

The Burris Signature line of rings is available with offset inserts of up to +/-.030. Fixes most problems.

Don

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
No it's a comon problem with the mounts.

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.talleyrings.com/

Once you use them you will never look back.

If the M70 receiver is indeed that far off, then order blank bases (not contoured for the receiver or drilled) and have them properly machined and matched to the receiver. I do this for special sight and scope arrangements. Ain't cheap, but gets the job done right.

I sort of doubt if the M70 receiver is that far off, I would measure the receiver carefully and compare it to a known M70.

------------------
Currently in Exile on the Beautiful Olympic Peninsula of Washington State.

Email Address is rifles@earthlink.net

Web site http://home.earthlink.net/~rifles/

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Thunder Child--

It's very common on new M70s and Winchester knows it. Call them and ask for a new receiver and you'll probably get it.

Tally�s first identified the problem and brought it to their attention.

Don�t shim the back mount. Re-machine the front. It cost more but works better.

Custom mounts cost way more and make the job perfect, if done right.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I WILL NOT buy a Moel 70 sight-unseen. Often the front part of the receiver is overly milled to the point that it's not level with the rear portion... the front often points "downward" towards the ejection port... not good. I've been trying to locate a 338 Win Mag in stainless around here... all three of the one's I've looked at have this phenomenon... I won't buy em'... somebody at Winchester is getting carried away grinding metal!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with a Model 70 (push-feed). I thought the scope was the problem, so I sent it back to the dealer and replaced it with a similar one. Later the folks at Leupold explained to me what the "most probable cause" was, and mailed me a shim free of charge!

The shim corrected the problem. But I only needed a .010" shim.

[This message has been edited by Ray, Alaska (edited 04-04-2002).]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a M 70 push feed "dying" at Winchester right now. Same problem, .040 shim under rear base to level it.

Winchester called me once, and said it was "just fine" and that it shot ok. Told them, it alwasy shot ok, but the rear bridge was screwed up.

Said they would look into in further, and that 5 weeks ago. No returned gun or other news since.

Spoke with Lee Harris from Winchester at SHOT show and he said He "would take care of it". No news, no action, so far.

Spoke with Maria from Customer Service at SCI, and she said she "would look into it".

So far nothing from her either.

Really makes one want to buy another Winchester.

Next time I'll buy a HOWA.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I have been lucky, I have not had a Classic yet with that much error. 0.005 or so, but not as much as 0.030 to 0.040.

Jack is correct, a part of any rifle project is ensuring the bases are proper for the receiver. This is why I machine to fit. Measure twice, cut once.

Think of a new rifle as "raw material" for a project and you will do just fine.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Thunder,
My new Mod 70 Safari Express is wearing a .025 shim under the rear base and probably could have used .005 more to make it perfectly level.

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
HMMM,I wonder why people keep buying winchesters?
1geejay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Who sells Howa's?

Is there a web site for them?

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Terry,
try my web site,Interarms is the current importer.
1geejay
http:www.shooting-hunting.com