New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I port a barrel properly?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to convert my Enfield to a 45 ACP commando carbine. The kit put out by rhinelandarms.com looks interesting. I will use a 2x18" aluminum can I made on a form 1 for he suppressor. It will be a bit longer than the original because I can not own an SBR in Washington state, and the bore is in the center of the can instead of the top.

I need to know how to port the last 8" of the barrel. Does simply drilling through with a HSS bit leave a sharp lip on the inside of the bore? How should I do this? Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranb40:
I want to convert my Enfield to a 45 ACP commando carbine. The kit put out by rhinelandarms.com looks interesting. I will use a 2x18" aluminum can I made on a form 1 for he suppressor. It will be a bit longer than the original because I can not own an SBR in Washington state, and the bore is in the center of the can instead of the top.

I need to know how to port the last 8" of the barrel. Does simply drilling through with a HSS bit leave a sharp lip on the inside of the bore? How should I do this? Thanks.

Ranb

Just a friendly suggestion...be very careful when you start manufacturing anything that could be considered a “suppressor.â€

A quick phone call, or letter to the BATF (with the request for a written reply) might save you allot of headaches down the road.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
The best way to do this is usually beyond the average person's/snith's abilities, and that is EDM (Electron Discharge). It leaves no burrs and is as smooth as if reamed. If you could get an advanced machine shop that has EDM capabilities and remove the barrel, they might do it for you.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will use a 2x18" aluminum can I made on a form 1 for the suppressor. This means I made it by filling out an ATF form 1 and getting it approved before building the suppressor. The can is for my 510 whisper, and should work well for a 45 ACP.

Would boring the hole with a grinding bit after drilling make the hole smooth with no lip? Thanks.

Ranb

one of us
posted Hide Post
No.

EDM is the only way to properly port a barrel.

No special bit or grinder of any type will do the job correctly.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
while not proper, here's what I did when I had an xtra 9mm barrel to experiment with,I drilled four holes through a 9mm barrel by driving a lead bullet into the bore where i was going to drill the hole, still left a tiny burr which I lighty hit with a small round diamond bit in a dremal going through the hole I had just drilled.then lapped the barrel,alot. it reduced muzzel rise alot and shot better groups but the noise and concussion was too much for me.
for as many holes as you need it would probably be better to EDM it

Posts: 33 | Location: fremont,ca. | Registered: 25 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ream the rifling out of the ported secion.

You might start saving for your legal defense fund now.

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
quote:
You might start saving for your legal defense fund now.

RanB said he has filled out the proper forms so why does he need a defense fund? You can have a suppresor two if you pay the $200 tax.

My question is what is a SBR and why are you porting a gun with a suppressor?

As far as a none edm way to bore the holes I think Ejor has the best idea. I have seen a local guy do this on a couple of pistols with satisfactory results.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
I did 6 or 8 ports in a 22 cal bbrl using the slug+dremel with diamond bur method. The thing shot just fine for a cheapo semi auto. Just use slow speed on the dremel. Bore brushed the hell out of the port area with some auto rubbing compound on the brush-no lead shaving seen, just buildup of crud in 1/8" ports after many shots.

Hippie redneck geezer

one of us
posted Hide Post
SBR means short barreled rifle. Any rifle in the USA that has a barrel less than 16" is considered an SBR, and requires an ATF form 4 to transfer or an ATF form 1 to make. Since WA state bans them, I am using a 16" barrel.

Porting the barrel allows the gases to vent into the space between the barrel and the can. While it degrades velocity, it does make the silencer less noisy. I hope to be less than 110 decibels with this arrangement.

I find it quite sad when a person assumes making silencers is illegal. Maybe it is in their country, but not in most of the USA. It is also insulting to hear that I am breaking the law when I am careful not to do so.

Anyway....... I have hit my first snag in this project. I can not get the barrel off. I trimmed off about .125" from the front of the frame to help release the barel, but it is stil stuck hard. The slot is deep enough to go into the threads. Heating did not help. Any ideas? Thanks.

Ranb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, this project is at an end for now. I just went all out and put lots of torque on the barrel and bent the frame. Nuts. Time to put this on the back burner until I can get a frame with the barrel already removed. Thanks for the replies though.

Ranb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I got the frame straight enough to re-assemble the rifle, and work the bolt. I also wrote the ATF after a few people thought that porting a barrel to vent into a silencer would make the barrel a silencer part in itself. To make a long story short, it is legal for me to port the barrel and put my registered silencer on it.

I ported the barrel with a 1/16" cobalt bit, followed by a 1/8" bit. This left very little lip on the edge of the holes. There are 18 holes around the last 5 inches of the barrel.

The Rhineland Arms barrel I used is secured with a barrel nut like those used on Savage rifles. The magazine adaptor uses 45 acp gov model mags. The ejector is not tall enough to knock the round out of the rifle when the extractor pulls the empty case from the chamber, but I will figure something out. Since the suppressor I used is not offset, I am not able to use sights, so I mounted a 2.5 power shotgun scope with extended eye relief. So far, shooting 200 grain semi-wadcutters gives me about 950 fps muzzle velocity and a 2 inch group at 50 yards. It is an interesting project so far, still have to finish the stock.

Ranb

one of us
posted Hide Post
The project is almost complete. I currently have an AK underfolding stock attached, it looks nice. I made a barrel shroud to use in place of the silencer when using it in WA state. Using cast bullets makes for very poor accuracy. Using bullets with a thick jacket like Speer 200 SWC gives me 4" groups at 100 yards.

Anyone know where I can get a 4x scope with a mil-dot reticle and medium to long eye relief that costs less than $200? Thanks

Ranb

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Try this, I'm told they are very good for the price.

http://www.ncstar.com/new/productDetails.php?PID=50

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually have one of these for my sks, but do not use it anymore. It has eye relief of no more than 3 inches, which makes it useless for an Enfield unless I make a scope mount that will hold it in back of the action.

Ranb