New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you rebarrel a FN action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have this very nice heavy barrel FN barreled in 25-06, double set triggers, heavy stock, 1" no taper, owner says was issued to SEALs back in mid-1950's, Korea, 'Nam (good story), anyway, it's just sitting there. If I'm leaning towards a new barrel in 22-250 Ackley Imp., say Krieger, would that FN barrel be as good as the Rem. M700 LA?

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ray in seattle:
Have this very nice heavy barrel FN barreled in 25-06, double set triggers, heavy stock, 1" no taper, owner says was issued to SEALs back in mid-1950's, Korea, 'Nam (good story), anyway, it's just sitting there. If I'm leaning towards a new barrel in 22-250 Ackley Imp., say Krieger, would that FN barrel be as good as the Rem. M700 LA?

Maybe it was issued to some California Harp Seals but I doubt very much is was issued to the Navy.

Whether the barrel on the FN is better than one on a 700 LA would depend on the barrel. No way anyone here could tell you that.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Issued to the Seals? bsflag

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There would for sure be the Stamp of The Armourer who put it together.Aside from that there were no Seals in the 50`s.I went to UDT school in the early 60`s and The name was not changed to Seals untill sometime after that.Good story,not based on any fact!!! bsflag

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would you rebarrel a FN action

If I needed it for a pet project in a heart beat.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
owner says was issued to SEALs back in mid-1950's, Korea, 'Nam

bsflagbsflag bsflag

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
You guy's don't know! Maybe he won it in a card game in Korea on a 3 day leave moon

There never was a F.N. made that's too good to cut up! coffee

Do what you want with it and enjoy it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ray in seattle:
Would you rebarrel a FN action?

In a heartbeat!! This is what I did with mine.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im no smith so feel free to ignore me all to hell, But I think of FNs as actions for big game rifles.
I am sure you could make a decent varmint rig out of it, But a push feed is just fine for little critters.
I like the FN for .257 caliber and up.
I have them in .257 Roberts AI, 270 win and 30,06. my smith has one in 35 whelen I would love to buy, just might one day if things go good...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of FN's and other Mausers in varmint calibers, mostly .22-250 and .220 swift that dispatched a lot of prarie dogs and the like.

It's your action, make out of it what you will.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe your experienced 'smith would advise that you leave the FN to sporting rifle duties.
If you want to build high accuracy bolt gun would advise the Rem. 700. as a core to do so.
Might mention that most military designated shooter rifles, as in U.S.Army and U.S. Marine Corps, are modified Rem. 700's, not Mauser actions.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the 1940's and 50's, all we had to make varmint rifles out of were Mauser actions. They are the ones I used then, and still do, at least for most of my varmint rifles, save one on a Rem 700. My Mauser Model 98 22-250 will shoot three shots into a 1/4" groul at 100 yards. I consider that good enough for Pennsylvania groundhogs, my home state. My 22 BR, on a Model 98 action will shoot three shots ina 3/8" group at 100. Not too shabby. I have other Mauser 98 based rifles for varmint hunting too, like a 257 Roberts, an 250 Savage and a 284 Winchester heavy rifle for the long shots. All shoot of these will shoot less than 1/2" groups at 100. I cut my teeth on Mauser 98 rifles, and I'll stick with them.

Wes, that's a FINE looking rifle. GREAT lines, and well done too.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I like the idea of the re barrel, but not the 22-250AI cartridge.
Too overbore for me.
The .223 gets all the velocity the bore can sustain and stay clean.
243, 250S, 260, etc would be enough bore for me.

But that's just me.
You can do what you please, and damn everyone else.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you shot the rifle as it is?

.25-'06's are sometimes finicky about ammo,
and the bedding has to be up to par - but they have a HELL of a reach and wallop!

Might be a nice 'yote rifle just as it is...

Posts: 82 | Location: SW FL | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Load 85 br bullets in the 25 if you want lightening... and 120s at 3000 if you want a stone cold killer...

rebarrel? yeah, but a 22-250 in my hands would be a savage with accutrigger, not a rebarrelled FN... i like FNs too much to put dinky rounds in them

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39563 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The commercial FN mauser makes a wonderful DGR. It is kinda wasted on varminting. Don't get me wrong ... I love them, but a Savage or Remy is fine for chuckin'

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote