Find
Notify
Tools

Options for lengthening LOP..
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I bought a Ruger #1 over the weekend that had been cut down for a youth shooter. What options do I have to making the buttstock the correct length for me?

I hate that the stock was cut because the piece of wood on the butt is actually pretty exceptional. Otherwise I'd be on the lookout for a replacement piece.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Gee, you can use lots of things. I’ve used similar wood, contrasting wood, plastic, aluminum, hard rubber, and I’m sure there’re a few other things you can use. You also may be able to find a decent take-off stock at one of the auction sites.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
is it long enough that you could use a really thick recoil pad?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And realize that Ruger will not sell #1 Wood; for some unknown reason it has to be fitted at the factory. Been there a few times.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done them with wood and black spacers glued together with epoxy.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A one inch pad with up to two 1/4 inch spacers is OK. If you need more spacers than that, it is better to use a piece of wood. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate spacers, I would buy a new stock, Ive seen them on auctions like gun broker, I have a forend that I found on there. Another option is build a simi inlet or go with a block of wood and a good stylist like Dennis olson, plains, Mt. A nice stocking job would jump the value up greatly in a no 1, moreso than on a bolt action of any kind as those buyers want a full custom bolt gun..I have done that with Savage 99s, and they sell quickly with a custom stock..Just some options.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Midway or Brownells sell stock spacers. I had to lengthen this stock for the same reason.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I wish I could find the info, but about ten years ago, I read a story about an artist/sportsman who was well known for refinishing stocks and adding grain and figure to the wood to whatever level you wanted. This was especially good for the many English shotguns that come over that have had a wood extension added to them. The work was beautiful and you could not spot the addition and, as I recall, it was around $400. Unfortunately, a computer crash lost the info and I have looked, but never found the info again. Seems like he was on the east coast, Virginia,New Hampshire?? I wish I knew.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This guy is good:
http://www.thestockdr.com/

He’s the one that can blend in the colors to make a cut stock look almost imperceptible.

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just send the gun to Ruger for a new stock. I have sent three No3s to them for No 1 wood. Cost is about $325 for stock and fore end. Wood quality is a bit of a crapshoot. Two of mine are good and one is highly figured.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2169 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Are the spacers made so that you still have the shape of the buttstock ?(Gets taller the further away from the trigger guard you get) I'll do some searching on Midway tonight..

I tried the limb saver recoil pad tonight and it is still lacking another 1.5-2" in length. This pad said it adds 1" of length to the rifle.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have installed used #1 stocks on all my #3 Rugers. Some minor modification of the lever may be required, but the result is well worth it.

You might want to check this out: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/842728951