New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby freebore
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know how long the Weatherby factory freebore is compared to other manufacturers?

Thanks,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Longer. You can look up the SAAMI specs & find the details.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guy at Pac-Nor quoted me 1 caliber freebore (for a 378). He said they used to be 2 calibers but accuracy suffered.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I'd be a little wary of 1 diameter using factory cartridges. 2 diameters isn't bad if the throat diameter is tight enough to guide the bullet straight in. Some of the old Apollo wildcat cartridges required as much as 3 diameters. Again, a tight enough throat, no problamo.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
This is what Weatherby lists on their website as to the freebore for each of their Cartridges.

Cartridge Throat length (free bore)
.224 Weatherby Magnum .162
.240 Weatherby Magnum .169
.257 Weatherby Magnum .378
.270 Weatherby Magnum .378
7MM Weatherby Magnum .378
.300 Weatherby Magnum .361
.340 Weatherby Magnum .373
.375 Weatherby Magnum .373
.378 Weatherby Magnum .756
.416 Weatherby Magnum .239
.460 Weatherby Magnum .756
.30-378 Weatherby Magnum .361
.338-378 Weatherby Magnum .361

http://www.weatherby.com/support/faq/item/view/44332

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
all of the AccRels have "too much" freebore... and most guys are getting submoa out of them.

taper matters!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
taper matters!

Alignment matters.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The lengths listed by Weatherby are the total length of the throat. Years ago, they bragged about their freebore and at times quoted the incremental length above standard chamberings. With the longer ones, you can't seat to reach the rifling. If I remember, the 240 was the first chambering, followed by the 224 which had a normal throat.

I didn't realize that the 416 had such a short throat. I suspect that they realized the case was so overbore (same as the original Rigby) that loads would get painful before pressure became a problem, so they went for accuracy.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help! The freebore in my Sako rifles was much longer than I expected and wanted some basis for comparison......

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
European rifles in general, have longer throats, and greater free bore, than what American manufacturers use.

They tend to use heavier for bore bullets than we do.

As was posted above: alignment matters more than the actual free bore length. I have owned a bunch of Sako rifles over the years. They were all as accurate as my ammunition was straight.

The clue bird finally landed on my left shoulder when I began using L.E. Wilson seater dies. My cartridges became much straighter from stem to stern.

When I have had barrels reamed with standard factory Weatherby dimensioned reamers, the accuracy has usually been .75 MOA for three rounds (Sporters), or .75 MOA for five or more rounds (varmint rigs).

I have always used modern Weatherby pattern reamers. I will never know what ammunition will be used in those rifles after I am gone. I do not want someone putting in factory ammo to a barrel that did not have a free bore - Yikes!

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote