New
Find
Notify
Tools

feeding
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So, in a perfect world your cartridges in a double-stack mag lay against each other as though bundled by a rubber band, right? Does it have to be that or single-stack feeding? I.e., can you not have them stacked tighter than perfectly offset, and still manage to work out the feeding?
Hope the question makes sense.
Thanks!

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
A double stack magazine can be narrower provided the feed lips are close enough to prevent the top round from popping out i.e. a pistol magazine.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
three basic ways to feed
single stack - straight line feed and storage, more or less
double stack - feeds from sides, stores on sides
center feed double (or staggered) feed - feeds from the top, stores "any whichaway" ..

if you don't have the rounds properly staggered you will get a "dumped" mag, spitting a round or 2 up in the boltway. followers are frequently the cause, if the mag box is wide enough..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right, so what Westpac is talking about is what Jeff is calling canter feed double. IOW, a single stack for the top round, and the rest are just as wide as logistics allow. But to actually feed from the side rails you need fully staggered rounds, else they'll dump?
Maybe it's not a yes/no question, depending on action and round geometry.
And anyway, what are the cons of single-stack feeding, other than taking up space, less rounds down?
(Yes, still trying to figure a way to feed three Rigby-based rounds from a Mauser.....)

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
BB
3 rigbys in a stagger feed is tough in a mauser... if the angles arent right, it will dump the mag.. on the 550 express, i did single stack, and on the 500AR, i used an enfield

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The down side to single stack feeding is limited capacity.

quote:
Yes, still trying to figure a way to feed three Rigby-based rounds from a Mauser.....

If you are hunting dangerous game that is likely to charge, then carry 2 rounds and a bayonet. And use them in that order. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So then, how do you keep the mag from pumping with single stack? Magazine lips act as new feed rails? And should this feed off the nose of the bullet to the ramp rather than trying to reach the shoulder first?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
homerTwo of my new Stevens 200s are single stack and I'm having a heck of a time loading the magazines. What the whatever am I doing wrong??? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote