New
Find
Notify
Tools

ss barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a coating you would recommend that can be applied to a stainless barrel to make it look blued?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stainless "bluing"

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to send it out, I recommend H&M http://blacknitride.com/, they treated a ss barrel of mine recently, turned out well. If you are doing it yourselft, what Mr. Kobe said.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Depends on how much you want to spend. We can make stainless steel black from $50 to $250.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, thanks for the information. The barrel is going on a Hauck. As stainless it will not be 'proper' but the gophers, next spring, will not mind. I might exercise the option after that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a chrome moly barrel from a well known maker...Had pl;enty hours in contouring, then adding rear sight base, barerel band swivel and banded ramp.

Made the stock, had some engraving done, finally the last stage: Bluing! Ah shit ....the damn barrel was stainless!

Dave Thomas saved the day...He did a two step process with caustic blue to make the accesories black, then blackened the barrel it self.

It turned out so well that the barrel matched up to the color and texture of the rust blued action.

Pure magic..so yes stainless can easily be blackened

Posts: 3609 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Black Electrical tape
It makes the barrels on my stainless rifles look exactly like the barrels on my blued steel rifles !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have gotten "old" enough to appreciate stainless guns .. and high temp engine paint / BBQ paint will work for longer than you might think

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Actually, that is true. Do not fall for the high dollar paint jobs that some try to pawn off as some soft of special coating. The bake on types are only marginally tougher. Not $300 tougher.
It's all paint. It will scratch when you drop it in the rocks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Actually, that is true. Do not fall for the high dollar paint jobs that some try to pawn off as some soft of special coating. The bake on types are only marginally tougher. Not $300 tougher.
It's all paint. It will scratch when you drop it in the rocks.

Show me some bluing that wont scratch when you drop your rifle in the rocks?

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Black Electrical tape
It makes the barrels on my stainless rifles look exactly like the barrels on my blued steel rifles !

Cool

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you really want to use tape on your barrel, I recommend you use Silicone tape; far better than regular electrical tape and will out last you. Standard electrical tape, with adhesive, will deteriorate faster than you think, especially when it gets hot. Silicone tape only sticks to itself and is what I use for my MV restoration, wiring harnesses.
As for dropping rifles into the rocks, I was only referring to coatings, not bluing, which is not a coating. It is a chemical change to the steel.
Actually the silicone tape would protect it best.
You could also spray it with rubberized undercoating; that would definitely protect it. Spray the whole rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm tempted occasionally to have one powder coated, with a hammered copper finish. Would definitely be different.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is one coated in dried blood. It only takes imagination. Owner killed a wild boar with it last week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No offence Tom-----But that is one ugly rifle!

Hip

Posts: 1881 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
i have gotten "old" enough to appreciate stainless guns .. and high temp engine paint / BBQ paint will work for longer than you might think

High temp Gas Grill paint is great and CHEAP too.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's a Zombie rifle. The owner has not had any problems with Zombies on his property since he got it.
Yes, engine and grill paint work well, but don't think you are actually going to get a barrel hot enough to cure it. It works well enough as is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have painted a number of rifles and the results were always good. The only problem that I have had was bore solvent dripping from the muzzle removes it from the underside of the bbl. Easy to touch up though!
I think the first gun was an old H&R break open shotgun 16 ga. that I use to shoot rats at the dump at night.

Hip

Posts: 1881 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a Zombie rifle. The owner has not had any problems with Zombies on his property since he got it.

Did he have lots of zombie trouble before?

Posts: 494 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, engine and grill paint work well, but don't think you are actually going to get a barrel hot enough to cure it. It works well enough as is.

I told the wife the same thing about elephants in the garden when I brought my first big bore.

She said we don't have any elephants in the garden.

I said see it is working.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
No offence Tom-----But that is one ugly rifle!

Hip

In the words of architect Louis Sullivan, "form ever follows function ".

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote