New
Find
Notify
Tools

Issue with Midway
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ordered recoil pads on 12-14-22. Never arrived, inquiry found a wrong address (One that acually does not seem to exist))

I was told I had to to wait until Jan 6..hmmmm.. That date came and went

Lots of calls and emails,. finally they said they would credit me with "Midway Dollars"

"Nope..I don't recognize that currency and neither does the crocery store, I want my money back"

End of sory? No...Charge shows up opn my card! About the only thing left for me was to dispute the charge.

Cannot believe this, LOTS of time wasted. Larry Potterfield must be desperate for cash!

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I worked in the financial industry for many years and found that the most efficient way to handle a problem with a vendor is to dispute the charge with the credit card company.
It very quickly brings the problem to the attention of someone who has the ability to resolve things.
Many feel that it's best to give the vendor a chance to correct the problem before disputing the charge but the person who answers the phone or responds to emails usually is not a decision maker and cannot resolve the problem.
Your time is valuable.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
As always - Follow the money.

Works with Uber as well. I stopped using them.

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Their ordering page makes you verify the shipping address.....

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Their ordering page makes you verify the shipping address.....

True..and I did...for waht ever reason, a digit was apparently missing. I think the order gal was busy doing her nails.

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty crappy that they wanted you to take funny money.

Being on the other end of disputed charges I can tell you it sucks. Most of ours are fraudulent charges. By time the legitimate cardholder notices the charges and calls the credit card company the product is already in the hands of the dirt bag who stole the card number. We are out the product, the money, the service charges, the shipping, and the time with absolutely no recourse. We have tried working with the cops, even the FBI since they were firearms related. I think only once did we get the product back. Easy for the credit card companies to give you your money back for no reason because it is not there money. They pull it right out of my account.

John

Posts: 557 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Last time I spoke with Larry was when they started charging for shipping, no matter the order size ..

dang, that's been a minute

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Duane, I would concur that stopping payment and initiating a dispute through the credit card company is the best move in cases like this.

It's a shame but a symptom of doing anonymous and impersonal business.

I have sadly become used to it.

What is worse is personal, face-to-face dishonesty and manipulation. Seeing more and more of that, too.

You have to fight back with the tools you have.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13482 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With $8 Billions in sales whats Larry give a

shit about your money or product?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because that $8 billion could go to $4 billion if he doesn’t take care of customers. And his expenses and cost of goods might exceed $4 billion.
FWIW, I order from midway several times per year, sub $100 size orders. Never have had an issue.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
Pretty crappy that they wanted you to take funny money.

Being on the other end of disputed charges I can tell you it sucks. Most of ours are fraudulent charges. By time the legitimate cardholder notices the charges and calls the credit card company the product is already in the hands of the dirt bag who stole the card number. We are out the product, the money, the service charges, the shipping, and the time with absolutely no recourse. We have tried working with the cops, even the FBI since they were firearms related. I think only once did we get the product back. Easy for the credit card companies to give you your money back for no reason because it is not there money. They pull it right out of my account

John

Agreed..been on both sides of the fence, But I really tried to just get the damn pads delivered..Seven enails responded by a differnt rep each time. Four phone calls! Even printed copies of correspondence and sent the whole thing to Larry, No response !

When "potterfield script bitcoin" was finally offered, I just said The hell with it and Midway

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Where does the tracking number say it is?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree that Midway has never been the same since adopting shipping charges. That said, been doing business with them forever but not exclusively. Decent prices and timely shipping, not so much in response to problems/disputes. I've heard other, not so nice, stories about Mr. Potterfield. Does good videos though.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1070 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
The only problem I have ever had with them is with cheap, insufficient packaging.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Where does the tracking number say it is?

That's the start of the problem....tracking number repeatedly came up "No Results"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Michalski:
Agree that Midway has never been the same since adopting shipping charges. That said, been doing business with them forever but not exclusively. Decent prices and timely shipping, not so much in response to problems/disputes. I've heard other, not so nice, stories about Mr. Potterfield. Does good videos though.

To be fair, just no way he could offer free shipping in todays environment. Our shipping and shipping materials cost have skyrocketed in the last 2 years. I just ordered a couple exhaust manifolds, and some orings for a tractor project, parts were $26.02, shipping charges 34.43 and the package probably weighs less than 2 pounds.

John

Posts: 557 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway never did offer "free" shipping. Their price was marked up to allow for such. When Potterfield decided that shipping would be a separate issue, that was fine, it was his decision to make. But then the scumbag would not honor items that were on backorder and shipping would become another issue. The item being on backorder was not the customers fault and if he had any integrity, he would have honored a transaction he had already agreed to. So what that he supports NRA he can't be trusted.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I got a package from Midway yesterday, as I do every three weeks. Have had zero issues with them over the years.
I do trust them. Ok, if someone feels they got cheated out of something you didn't pay for; that was decades ago; time to move on.
Now, another supplier I deal with on a weekly basis is Brownells; I pay $50 a year and do get anything I order shipped, for no additional cost. It definitely pays off.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Midway supports the NRA with money donated by customers, while Midway gets the credit.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lately I haven't had any problems with Midway. Thier prices are always higher than other places but you gotta shop.

Years ago he advertised Free Shipping, one day I did a comparison of prices and Midways were much higher like $5-6.00 on a $20 something box of bullet's.

Hip

Posts: 1866 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dpcd:
I got a package from Midway yesterday, as I do every three weeks. Have had zero issues with them over the years.
I do trust them. Ok, if someone feels they got cheated out of something you didn't pay for; that was decades ago; time to move on.
Now, another supplier I deal with on a weekly basis is Brownells; I pay $50 a year and do get anything I order shipped, for no additional cost. It definitely pays off.[/QUOTE

When I ran into this problem, went to Amazon...ordered on 12-28, received on 12-31. Wih Amazon Prime, there was no shipping charge, and price was just a litle less than Midway

Refunds?...They send you a pre paid label and immediately credit your card. No "Amazon dollars" or oher BS

Don't know how they do i!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yep. Like others have said, let the CC company take care of it. You were charged, yet got no product.
Another option is your Attorny General complaint dept. I've got quick results in my state going that route. Takes less than 30 minutes to fill out the form online. Just have the order number and adress for Midway ready.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5183 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be a good idea, but I've already spent more time on Midway than they're worth...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My issues with Midway are twofold…

First they tend to have higher prices. If I choose to buy from them knowing that, so be it.

But the bigger issue is the shipping.

I get a email from them every few weeks with free shipping “for a short time” that is undefined. Usually the day after I put in an order…

So they can afford to give free shipping “when they feel like it.”

I think they might have noticed with me that I have gone on the site, signed in, put over $500 plus of stuff in my cart, started the payment process, entered the free shipping code and gotten the it’s expired notice (within 3-4 days of getting it) and deleted the entire order. I hope so, anyhow.

They occasionally have stuff I want that I can’t find elsewhere, so I still deal with them, but the rinky dink shipping charges really piss me off.

I get where Duane is coming from. Returning for store credit only is a annoying behavior, especially when so many places have it expire if not used quickly.

Posts: 10795 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I still buy from Midway if it's cheaper there or can't find what I need anywhere else. Being in Missouri myself they charge me sales tax. Probably about 20 years ago I had an order that was 3 weeks late and when I called back they sent out the complete order no additional charge.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m not in Missouri, and they still charge sales tax.

In my case MN 7.5%

quote:
Originally posted by Steve E.:
I still buy from Midway if it's cheaper there or can't find what I need anywhere else. Being in Missouri myself they charge me sales tax. Probably about 20 years ago I had an order that was 3 weeks late and when I called back they sent out the complete order no additional charge.

Steve.......

Posts: 10795 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Some Companys now charge sales tax for Items sold in a growing number of States.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only bought a couple of things from Midway. Not a preferred supplier but they've had items I couldn't find elsewhere and were on sale. It's too difficult to get them to ship overseas, so I ship to any of my American friends and arrange from there.
The thing that annoyed me was I saw the item on sale at the advertised price, went ahead and purchased and at checkout payment time was charged a bit more. That was before tax got added ( differs I think by which state I choose to ship to ). Thinking maybe I misread the sale price I completed the purchase then refreshed the page with the item on sale. Lo and behold, between first looking at that and buying the price had increased. No info on the page saying how long the item remained on sale. Also seen this happen with other items Midway advertises on sale. My guess is they dangle the bait of "on sale" items and if they get plenty of bites they pump the price up a bit to squeeze out every dollar they can.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2049 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Living in AK, this is all humorous to me. Consider buying a a 1/4x22 tap from Brownell's. Shipping more than cost. Barrels the other way - YESS! I do everything I can do to NOT have to talk to anyone about anything, sad as that is. Equally sad is using Amazon, but dammit, they deliver.

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some Companys now charge sales tax for Items sold in a growing number of States.

Steve.........

As it should be.

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No Midway does not trick you on sales prices; I order from them all the time and I would have noticed it; maybe you had an old Google search. Yes Midway sometimes has free shipping on a certain dollar level of order. It is clearly defined and it occurs whenever they say it does.Often on holidays, but if you don't get their Email updates, you won't know about them. I do.
Complaints about shipping costs to Alaska? Have you guys ever looked a map to see exactly where Alaska is? It's farther away than many foreign countries (it used to be part of one) and is not contiguous. Of course it costs more.
How does Amazon do it? Volume; sheer mass quantities of every comsumer good from toasters to complete Jeep Bodies (true), to gun parts. No individual supplier of anything can compete like that.
Yes, most companies now charge sales tax; I order a lot of gun and jeep parts; it sucks, I know.
It seems that some guys will have issues with places they order from no matter what; It is funny that I do not have such issues.
Probably best not to buy stuff by mail order. Move on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think 30.06king is being honest.

With my rather odd hours I have had it happen at midway as well... when ordering around midnight here. It goes from one day to the next and the sale goes off. I get it...

However, I do disagree with DPCD about it being "clearly defined" as I get those mailings as well, and they are pretty clear about when it starts and what value you need to spend, but the duration is not very clear "a short time only"

As I said, I do buy from them from time to time, and will continue to, but that form of sales tactic is not something I particularly appreciate. I don't care for it at brick and mortar stores, either... if you can discount prices for a "sale" it means that you are generally charging too much day to day... especially if you have sales like every month.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,
The situation I referred to above definitely occurred. I don't know if it is a Midway "sales tactic" as Dr. Butler says but if caught by such practises it make me very leery of taking future business to such establishments. Fortunately I have a solid base of genuine, honest dealers and suppliers I trust and rely on for most of my wants and needs, such as yourself for example, and most of my business is so directed.
Again, referring to the situation above, the item I obtained was a Redding Die. I first ordered, and paid a deposit on, this from the NZ agent who said it would come in their next Redding shipment. Eventually I was told Redding had no stock and no schedule for future production so I looked around potential USA suppliers, many of whom also had no stock, until luckily stumbling onto the Midway sale. Even after paying Midway's "adjusted" sale price it was about half the NZ price so I was streets ahead on cost with no huge reason for complaint. But the thought that Midway ( maybe ) uses sneaky sales methods puts them very low on the list of businesses I want to deal with.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2049 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copperlake:
quote:

Steve.........

As it should be.

in fact, the was only agreed upon a couple years ago, when the entire prior history was if you and the seller were in different states, there was no LEGAL reason to collect sales tax as the state wasn't part of the transaction. Further, in it's interstate commerce, which sales tax rate should be involved?

Sales tax over interstate commerce is BS ..

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I guarantee you that midway is not manipulating sales pricing or pulling tricks on customers. I order stuff from them all the time.For many decades now. I would have noticed it.
As for Duane, they had the wrong address; easy to see how that went wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midsouth just started charging me sales tax. Neither I nor the UPS store that gets my mail is in the town Midsouth collects the sales tax for even though the address says it is. That's the way it is. I want that stuff so I pay.

Part of my Christmas this year was $ for a new scope. Midway and Midsouth both carried the scope for the same price plus free shipping. Midway does not give free shipping for items that are on sale. I was waiting for a better price from Midway, but when it came the savings was wiped out by the shipping. Then they jacked the price up by $20. I called Midsouth for the "old" price plus free shipping even though I paid sales tax I came out ahead...and I have the scope on the way.

Living in AK you often don't have much choice but to "mail order" stuff you want. Local stores often don't carry a great selection and some of them like to take their families on winter vacations to HI at my expense!

Posts: 283 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Sales tax is now mandated by online sales that do above a certain $ amount in sales. Think of it this way. Every time you bought something in the past and didn't pay sales tax if your state collects it, you SHOULD have reported it on your state taxes and paid it.

How many have done this???

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
Sales tax is now mandated by online sales that do above a certain $ amount in sales. Think of it this way. Every time you bought something in the past and didn't pay sales tax if your state collects it, you SHOULD have reported it on your state taxes and paid it.

James, you may be conflating tax exempt with collection sales tax on internet sales.. yes, if you have provided a vendor a tax certificate, you are supposed to pay accrued sales tax, usually quarterly

unless your state has a sales and use tax that REQUIRES you to pay tax, there is NO LEGAL REASON to pay sales tax... was only the law of the land starting since june of 2018 // it wasn't required till then for interstate sales

we are discussing retail

and, again, unless your state has a sales and use tax law requiring you to pay (hint, its only commie states like cali that required this) it's on the SELLER to COLLECT the tax

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I have used Midway a lot because they often have a better prices than others. I recently bought a new Chronograph from them simply because they beat everyone else's price, even after shipping.
For most stuff I prefer to try and buy local, but it is nice to have online options.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:

James, you may be conflating tax exempt with collection sales tax on internet sales.. yes, if you have provided a vendor a tax certificate, you are supposed to pay accrued sales tax, usually quarterly

unless your state has a sales and use tax that REQUIRES you to pay tax, there is NO LEGAL REASON to pay sales tax... was only the law of the land starting since june of 2018 // it wasn't required till then for interstate sales

we are discussing retail

and, again, unless your state has a sales and use tax law requiring you to pay (hint, its only commie states like cali that required this) it's on the SELLER to COLLECT the tax
Oklahoma is hardly a "commie state", but in the past before the 2018 Supreme Court ruling, there was a line on the state income tax form that asked for 'total out of state internet/phone ordered purchases'. Most taxpayers just ignored that line. Many other states did the same, not just NY and California.

Posts: 698 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote